John S. Poulos is a partner at Lewis Brisbois Bisgaad & Smith, LLP, in Sacramento, California. With a practice focused on business, commercial and construction litigation, as well as banking and finance law, Mr. Poulos represents clients in the Sacramento area and nationwide. Skilled in courtroom litigation, he is also familiar with alternative dispute resolution methods such as mediation and arbitration.
Educated at Claremont McKenna College, where he earned a degree in economics, Mr. Poulos received his law degree from the University of California, Berkeley, School of Law.
After graduating, Mr. Poulos clerked for the Alaska Supreme Court and later went on to gain litigation experience as both an associate and a partner at another law firm before joining Lewis Brisbois Bisgaad & Smith, LLP. He is admitted to practice in the state courts of California, Alaska, Colorado and Oregon.
Over the course of his legal career, Mr. Poulos has been involved in numerous high-profile cases, several of which have resulted in million- or multimillion-dollar verdicts. In a case involving a breach of contract claim by a utility district against a contractor, Mr. Poulos recovered over $42 million for his client.
Mr. Poulos' successful litigation practice has earned him honors and recognition among his peers in the legal community. The "Best Lawyers in America"* guide named Mr. Poulos one of northern California's top attorneys in 2012 and 2013, and a top attorney in construction and real estate law in 2014. Mr. Poulos has also authored articles in an assortment of publications, and several of his cases have been published as opinions by various appellate courts.
*The Best Lawyers in America® 2013. Copyright 2013 by Woodward/White, Inc., Aiken, SC.
About John Poulos
Law School: University of California Berkeley School of Law - Boalt Hall
Admitted: 1991, California
Professional Webpage: lewisbrisbois.com/attorneys/poulos_john_s
Honors and Awards:
- Recognized as a Northern California Super Lawyer 2005, 2011-2013
- Recognized by Best Lawyers as a Top Attorney in Northern California 2012-2013
- Recognized by Best Lawyers as Top Attorney in Construction Law and Real Estate law 2014
- Banking & Finance Practice Group and the Commercial Litigation Practice Group, Vice-Chair
Scholarly Lectures and Writings:
- Pillsbury Winthrop on Affordable Housing 2003 Issue, Authors: Rachel B. Horsch, Michael Ouimette, John S. Poulos, Matthew Africa, Jason A. Hobson, Tuan A. Pham, Monique L.C. Wright, Paul R. Schrecongost, Gary Downs, 2/18/2003
- Nonprofit Defends Purchase Deals for City of Los Angeles, Authors: Deborah B. Baum, Andrew D. Bluth, Alvin Dunn, John S. Poulos, Chris R. Rodriguez, 4/25/2008
- Supreme Court Settles Jurisdiction Question Under Telephone Consumer Protection Act, Authors: Andrew D. Bluth, Lauren Lynch Flick, John S. Poulos, 1/19/2012
Verdicts and Settlements:
- Campen v. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Arellano v. Fillmore Convalescent Center
- Zhao v. Los Angeles Dealers Auto Auction
- Nolen v. Foster Wheeler
- Bisby v. Weitzeil
- Reynolds v. Hamilton Materials Inc.
- Rogers v. State of California
- Plikaytis v. Roth
- Mora v. Minster Machine Co.
- Brighton Collectibles Inc. v. Marc Chantal USA Inc.
- Citizens of Humanity LLC v. Caitac Corp.
- Cundiff v. Alfa Laval
- Rogers v. Storms
- Elie v. Smith
- Gottesman v. Cathedral Oaks Tennis
- Strange v. Entercom Sacramento, LLC
- Woodard v. Alfa Laval Inc.
- Anmari Electronics v. Pacific Bell Directory
- Trealoff v. Forest River Inc.
- City of Modesto v. Dow Chemical Co.
- Pierson v. Ford Motor Co.
- Gomez v. General Motors Corp.
- Nelsen v. Hillyard Inc.
- Tran v. Arrellano
- 1800 South Maple Street, llc v. Allied Property and Casualty Insurance co.
- Louis Vuitton Malletier s.A. V. Akanoc Solutions Inc.
- Kelemen v. Alfa Laval Inc.
- Hansen Medical Inc. v. Luna Innovations Inc.
- U.S. Department of Justice v. Merco Const. Engineers Inc.
- Sacramento Municipal Utility District v. Fru-con Construction Corp.
- Bianchi v. Demma
- Thomas v. Global Vision Products Inc.
- Medtronic Inc. V. Aga Medical Corp.
- Auerbach Acquisition Associates Inc. v. Daily
- Marciano v. Fahs, 7/27
- American Nurses Association v. Torlakson – Third District Court of Appeal
- Kern County Water Agency, et al. v. California Department Water Resources - Fourth District Court of Appeal
- Health Net v. Haukedelin - Third District Court of Appeal
- Premier Medical v. CNA Insurance - Fourth District Court of Appeal
- American Nurses Association v. O'Connell - Third District Court of Appeal
- Verizon v. Airtouch - Third District Court of Appeal
- Claremont McKenna College, Bachelor of Arts, 1987