Craig S. Simon is the Managing Partner at Berger Kahn. He has broad trial experience representing insurers, financial companies, and business owners. Craig is National Subrogation Counsel to a top nationwide insurer, helping to oversee recovery challenges across the country. Accomplished at handling large subrogation cases against major manufacturers and regulated utilities in mass tort events, Craig also serves as a business consultant to insurers and financial companies, helping them improve their processes to avoid litigation.
Craig has been lead trial attorney in dozens of cases before federal and state court juries and arbitrations across the country, and has a strong track record of success in resolving the most difficult cases. He is accustomed to handling matters of exceptional complexity, such as nationwide class actions and multidistrict litigation. Craig is particularly accomplished in defending companies in litigation involving punitive damages, a talent honed through years of dedication to this specific area of practice. Working closely with clients, jury consultants and graphic designers, and utilizing mock trials and focus groups, Craig is highly skilled at developing powerful and persuasive litigation themes and strategies that resonate with juries. Craig is licensed in both California and Texas.
Craig enjoys litigating cases, especially those that are complicated or involve novel theories, whether the underlying matter is a business dispute or one involving insurance.
In 2010, Craig was named among the “Top 100″ Attorneys in California by the Daily Journal for helping to achieve a $950 million settlement involving California wildfire-related cases on behalf of homeowner insurance carriers. Named to the list of Best Lawyers for 2015-2016 for his demonstration of excellence in his practice of law, Craig has also been on the list of Southern California Super Lawyers for eight consecutive years, with frequent recognition to the “Top 50 Orange County,” and “Top 100 Southern California” Super Lawyers lists.
Craig began his career consulting with insurance companies. His experience includes:
• Craig assists insurers in the adoption and implementation of procedures for the handling of claims, including the drafting of claims manuals, guidelines and policies.
• In the area of property insurance, he has considerable experience representing carriers in first-party claims. He has distinguished himself in fire and arson claims and litigation arising from such claims.
• In the area of insurance coverage, Craig has represented numerous insurers in difficult duty-to-defend litigation, which presents unique “case-within-a-case” evidence issues.
• In the area of life and annuity sales, Craig has considerable experience in defending against the global attacks being made on the industry, and has defended both individual and class actions.
• Craig serves as a consultant and expert witness in disputed insurance matters for both the plaintiff and defense bar.
Craig is a frequent lecturer before industry-specific audiences, including C.P.C.U., International Association of Special Investigative Units, The Insurance Committee for Arson Control, the International Association of Arson Investigators, and Public Risk Management Association. Craig also lectures before lawyer groups on trial tactics in cases involving punitive damages. He is actively involved in issues concerning law practice management and lectures on ways to improve client relations.
Craig joined Berger Kahn as a law clerk in 1975, became a principal in 1981, and in 1984 opened the firm’s Orange County office.
He and his wife Joan have three children and live in Irvine, California.
Admitted 1977, California
Professional Webpage: http://bergerkahn.com/our-people/craig-s-simon/
Honors and Awards:
Verdicts and Settlements: