About James Gilbert
Admitted 1969, Colorado
Professional Webpage: http://www.thegilbertlawgroup.com/james-l-gilbert.html
Honors and Awards:
- Recipient of Association of Trial Lawyers of America Diplomate of Trial Advocacy, 1997
- Recipient of Association of Trial Lawyers of America Citation of Excellence at ATLA Annual Convention, 1990
- 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2015 Awarded Lawyer of the Year - Product Liability Litigation in Denver Area by Best Lawyers., Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy
- Colorado Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Trial Lawyers for Public Justice
- Attorneys Information Exchange Group
- Colorado Trial Lawyers
- American Association for Justice
- International Society of Barristers
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers (IATL)
- The Inner Circle of Advocates (Member since 2003)
Verdicts and Settlements:
- $6,000,000 settlement on behalf of a child who was delivered prematurely and sustained seriousinjuries resulting in cerebral palsy due to a defective seat belt restraint system which caused injury tothe mother and child.
- $6,500,000 jury verdict in favor of a driver who was paralyzed when he was thrown through a defectiveafter-market windshield during a frontal collision. The windshield had not been properly bonded to thepickup truck. Following the verdict, the Lawyers Weekly described how Jim Gilbert's casechanged the practices of the after market windshield installation industry. According to the LawyersWeekly: "The verdict forced an industry-wide change .... " What it meant was that some 12,000 glassinstallers around the country had to use the safer procedure or risk a similar verdict.
- $8,000,000 settlement on behalf of a university professor rendered quadriplegic during a rollover.
- $8,400,000 settlement on behalf of two men in a wrongful death case.
- $9,000,000 Settlement on behalf of a young child who was burned alive after a rear impact collision due to a defectively designed fuel tank assembly.
- $9,500,000 settlements against multiple defendants in a case involving a brain damaged and quadriplegic driver in a frontal collision.
- $17,500,000 jury verdict in favor of a driver who was rendered quadriplegic when her seat belt retractor failed to properly lock during a rollover accident. The case remains a record jury verdict for a product defect case in the State of Colorado.
- $35,000,000 jury verdict in favor of a driver who was rendered quadriplegic and suffered brain damage when his "captain chair" broke off of the vehicle floor and his seat belt ripped in half during a frontal collision. In what is believed to be the first case of its kind, Chrysler Corporation, the manufacturer of the stock van, joined forces with The Gilbert Law Group against the van converter, the seat maker, and the manufaaurer of the seat pedestal. After receiving substantial settlements from the other defendants, The Gilbert Law Group tried the case side by side with Chrysler's lawyers against Coachmen, the manufacturer of the seat pedestal. A verdict from a Los Angeles jury sent a message to van conversion companies that the auto industry, at least Chrysler, would no longer protea them from deficient van conversion work that put consumers at risk, and that juries would hold them accountable.
- $43,200,000 record jury verdict in favor of a driver who was rendered quadriplegic when her driver's seat back collapsed following a rear-end collision. The unanimous decision was returned against the seat manufacturer after evidence showed the seat back was weak and the single-sided recliner mechanism in question was subject to failure. This is reported to be the largest civil verdict in Vermont state court. Several sources cited the potential impact of the ruling on brain and spinal cord injury claims and increased seat back strength requirements by the federal government.
- Cover story in Lawyers Weekly entitled “Personal Injury Cases That Made A Difference”
- Chrysler Bankruptcy, Denver 9 News
- Dale Earnhardt, Denver 9 News
- Rollovers, Denver 9 News
- Gas Tanks, Denver 7 News
- Teens and Sport Utility Vehicles, Fox News Chicago
- Windshields, Miller, Steal Deal news program
- J.D., New York University School of Law, 1968
- B.S., Colorado State University, 1964