Terence Ridley focuses his practice on civil litigation defense work, with an emphasis on the defense of bad-faith insurance cases and class actions.
About Terence Ridley
Admitted: 1985, Colorado
Professional Webpage: wtotrial.com/terence-m-ridley-1
Honors and Awards:
- Best Lawyers - Insurance Law, 2010-2016; Commercial Litigation, 2016
- Colorado Bar Association, Board of Governors (former)
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel 2004-present; Chair, Class Action and Multidistrict Litigation Section; Member, Reinsurance, Excess, and Surplus Lines Section; Vice-Chair, Membership Development and Retention Committee, New Members, 2011; Vice-Chair, Extra Contractual Liability Section
- University of Denver Sturm College of Law Alumni Council - Vice-Chair
- Denver Bar Association - Executive Committee of Young Lawyers' Division; Treasurer
- ABA Insurance Coverage Litigation - Section of Litigation
- Colorado Defense Lawyers Association
Scholarly Lectures and Writings:
- "Recent Assaults on the Most Sacred Privilege of All: Does the Attorney-Client Privilege Still Exist?" presented to the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel Section on Extra-Contractual Liability (July 29, 2014)., 2014
- "Sampling, Extrapolation, and Experts: What's Left?" presented at the 2014 Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel Winter Meeting, Florida (March 7, 2014)., 2014
- "Bad Faith Claims: Managing Risks and Avoiding Liability" (November 18, 2013)., 2013
- "Depositions of the Corporate Representative: What You Need to Know" CLE seminar (October 25, 2012)., 2012
- "Class Action Litigation One Year After Dukes v. Wal-Mart: A Happy Anniversary?" presented at the Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel Annual Meeting, Whistler, Canada (August 2, 2012)., 2012
- Arbitration Clauses and Class Certification, presented to the Association of Corporate Counsel Colorado Chapter (June 26, 2008)
Verdicts and Settlements:
- Snyder v. ACORD (D. Colo.) - Represent multiple defendants in the largest insurance property class action in the state of Colorado.
- Allstate Insurance v. Medical Lien Management, 2015 Colo. 32 (2015) - Won reversal from the Colorado Supreme Court for Allstate in a precedent-setting ruling on the practice of "assigning" potential future personal injury settlements to third parties, such as medical lien companies.
- Estate of Hill v. Allstate, 479 F.3d 735 (10th Cir. 2007) - Won affirmation from the Tenth Circuit of summary judgment for an insurer in a case seeking unlimited no-fault benefits for alleged failure to offer no-fault benefits.
- Friedland v. TIC and Geosyntec Consultants, 566 F.3d 1203 (10th Cir. 2009) - Won affirmation of a trial court's summary judgment ruling and exposed "pollution for profit" in protracted CERCLA litigation before the Tenth Circuit.
- Fisher v. State Farm (Colo. Sup. Ct. 2015) - Representing three of the nation's preeminent insurance industry trade associations in an amici curiae brief urging the Colorado Supreme Court to grant certiorari review of a Court of Appeals decision that stands to rewrite virtually every UM/UIM insurance policy issued in Colorado. The Court's decision to review the case or not is expected in 2016.
- Apodaca v. Allstate Insurance, Case No. 10SC39 (Colo. June 20, 2011) - Won a Colorado Supreme Court decision favorable to client, and all Colorado auto insurers, in a purported class action involving disclosures associated with underinsured and uninsured motorist policies.
- Allstate Ins. Co. v. Medical Lien Managment, 2015 CO 32 (Colo. 2015)
- King v. Allstate Insurance Co., No. 11-cv-00103-WJM-BNB (D. Colo. 2013) - Won a complete defense verdict on behalf of Allstate Insurance Company in an insurance bad faith case brought in the United States District Court for the District of Colorado.
- Sipes v. Allstate Indemnity Co., No. 11-cv-02369-PAB-KMT (U.S.D.C. Colo. Nov. 2013) - Won a complete defense verdict in a bad faith case on behalf of Allstate before the United States District Court for the District of Colorado.
- Transguard Ins. Co.
- AXIS Insurance Co.
Other Outstanding Achievements:
- Board of Directors, Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel, 2015
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., Political Science, magna cum laude, 1981.