Scott B. Smith, Esq. is a Florida Bar Board Certified Civil Trial Attorney and has achieved an AV rating from Martindale. He has also been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America and has been listed in Top Florida Verdicts and Settlements in both 2011 and 2012. Mr. Smith specializes his practice in the areas of personal injury, products liability, medical malpractice and wrongful death with an emphasis on commercial motor vehicle (tractor-trailer/truck) accidents. Scott serves on the Board of Directors of the Florida Justice Association, Palm Beach County Justice Association and the North County Section of the Palm Beach County Bar Association. He is currently the President of the Palm Beach County Justice Association. He is a frequently a lecturer or presenter at trial lawyer seminars. He is also a member of the American Association for Justice Interstate Trucking Litigation Group and the Association of Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America (AITLA). He serves on AITLA's Florida Advisory Board. He is also the past and current Chairperson of the Palm Beach County Bar Association Personal Injury and Wrongful Death Committee and he is on the Florida Bar Code and Rules of Evidence Committee. Mr. Smith is admitted to practice in Florida, all U.S. District Courts within Florida, the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals and the U.S. Supreme Court.
About Scott Smith
Admitted: 1998, Florida
Professional Webpage: www.foryourrights.com/scott-smith.html
Honors and Awards:
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers, 2013
- Two separate cases handled/litigated by Scott B. Smith were included in Top Florida Verdicts & Settlements in 2011 and 2012. His Taggart v. Reilly verdict of $2,200,000.00 was included in largest verdicts in Florida in 2011 for motor vehicle accidents and motorcycle injury cases, and his Wilson v. Goodman wrongful death case was listed as the ninth largest verdict or settlement in Florida in 2012. It was also listed as the largest (#1) verdict or settlement in the wrongful death category in Florida for 2012. The case settled with the defendant and his insurance for $40,000,000.00. A confidential settlement was also reached with the bar/establishment that had served the defendant alcohol prior to the fatal motor vehicle crash., Top Florida Verdicts & Settlements, Top Florida Verdicts and Settlements 2011 and 2012, 2011
- Listed as a Top 100 Trial Lawyer in the State of Florida, The American Trial Lawyers Association
- Board Certified in Civil Trial Law, The Florida Bar
- Florida Bar Board Certified Civil Trial Attorney, 2008
- President of Palm Beach County Justice Association., 2013
Pro bono/Community Service:
- Board of Directors of March of Dimes -- Palm Beach County Division; City of Palm Beach Gardens Parks and Recreation Advisory Boad., 2010
Scholarly Lectures and Writings:
- Author, Know Thy Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSR's) in the Commercial Vehicle "Big-Rig" Trucking Case, Briefings, Palm Beach County Justice Association, 2010
- Speaker at the 2010 FJA Workhorse Seminar, Deposing the Truck Driver in Big-Rig Trucking Cases -- "Winning the Deposition", Speaker, Florida Justice Association (FJA), 2010
Verdicts and Settlements:
- $40,000,000 settlement for surviving father and mother who lost their only son in a motor vehicle accident caused by DUI driver; $6.75 million settlement with trucking company for wrongful death of mother of four following tractor-trailer accident; $6 million settlement who lost their young child in tragic motor vehicle after wheel separated from vehicle; $4 million settlement with waste management company for truck accident that resulted in amputation of plaintiff's leg; $3 million settlement for injured victim of elevator accident; $2 million settlement for wrongful death of spouse in products liability case against auto manufacturuer for defective airbag; $653,000.00 verdict against FedEx Ground Package System for injuries caused by trucking accident; $200,000.00 verdict against Liberty Mutual INsurance Company in underinsured motorist claim arising out of motor vehicle accident; $2.2 million verdict for truck accident and premises liability accident (2 accidents separated by 9 days); $800,000 settlement for invidual who was rear-ended and undwerwent one level lumbar discectomy and fusion; $450,000.00 settlement for individual who was involved in a commercial motor vehicle accident and suffered leg fracture, $373,000.00 verdict for husband and wife who were rear-ended and suffered soft-tissue injuries (offer was only $20,000.00).
- U.S. Air Force Academy (1991-1993);Florida State University (B.S., 1995);Florida State University College of Law (J.D., 1998).