Mercedes Colwin represents clients in a wide range of legal matters, including criminal defense, products liability and civil rights violations. Ms. Colwin acts as managing partner of the New York City office of Gordon & Rees, LLP.
Ms. Colwin has received accolades from her peers and the public alike, including:
- Named as one of the Six Most Influential Women in America by Forbes Business American Airlines.
- Recognized as one of New York’s Rising Young Stars Under the Age of 40 by the Long Island Business News.
- Recipient of Notre Dame Law School’s prestigious Graciela Olivarez Award for outstanding achievement as a leading Hispanic lawyer of the highest ethical and moral standards.
- Profiled by MultiCultural Law magazine in a piece titled “Reaching Back to Diversify the Legal Profession.”
- Regarded as a top legal analyst in the media and regularly appears on the Fox News Network to discuss legal issues.
Attorney Colwin has successfully tried 43 cases in various jurisdictions throughout the United States. Prior to joining Gordon & Rees, she served for nine years as an administrative law judge for the New York State Division of Human Rights. Ms. Colwin presided over 3,000 cases brought under the federal and state discrimination laws.
About Mercedes Colwin
Law School: Brooklyn Law School
Admitted: 1992, New York
Professional Webpage: www.gordonrees.com/lawyers/m/mercedes-colwin
Honors and Awards:
- MultiCultural Law magazine also profiled Ms. Colwin in a Leadership interview titled, Reaching Back to Diversify the Legal Profession.
- Notre Dame Law School also presented Ms. Colwin with the prestigious Graciela Olivarez Award for outstanding achievement as a leading Hispanic lawyer of the highest ethical and moral standards.
- The Long Island Business News recognized her as one of New York’s rising “young stars” under the age of 40.
- Forbes Business American Airlines named Ms. Colwin one of the six most influential women in America.
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1993
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1993
- Council on Litigation Management
- The Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel
- New York County Lawyers Association
- National Association of Insurance Women
- New York State Bar Association
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society
- Defense Research Institute
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Courts, New York
- New York
Scholarly Lectures and Writings:
- Process Prevention & Resolution: What Every Business Person Should KnowAmerican Corporate Counsel Association (February 1998)
- Working Towards Equal Opportunity: Recent Developments In Employment PracticesNew York, New York (March 2000)
- Hot Topics In Employment Law New York, NY (March 2000)
- The Recent Developments In Disability, Sexual Harassment & Retaliation Professional Liability In the 21st Century – Sex, Sickness & Striking Back (October 2000)
- A View From The Bench American Conference Institute, New York, NY (January 2001)
- A Judges Perspective - Sexual Harassment & Discrimination Seminar North Eastern Subcontractors Association
- Insights From The Bench: What Judges Consider To Be Winning Arguments on EPL LitigationAmerican Conference Institute, New York, NY (January 2002)
- The Current State of Employment Law: Sex, Sickness & Striking Back (2002)
- Managing the Borderline Performer - Protecting Corporate Interests Managing People Workshops (March 2002)
- Common Sense In Common Times New York, NY (October 2002)
- Trends & Developments In Employment Claims Litigation American Conference Institute (December 2003)
- Panelist, Avoiding The Employment Class Action National Union Law School for Managers, Boston, MA (September 2005)
- Sexual Harassment & Discrimination The “Crimes” of the Century, New York, NY (January 2006)
- Panelist, Employment Practices Loss Prevention Seminar Richmond, VA (July 2006)
- An Audit of Your Human Resources Department and Employment Practices: Are You Protecting Your Business Effectively Lorimar, New York, NY (August 2006)
- Discrimination at a Glance: Trends & Significant Rulings in Discrimination Cases Employment Practices Liability Insurance Conference, ExecuSummit (January 2007)
- Panelist, New Age of Litigation-Catastrophic Loss, E-Discovery, Hi-Def Video, Tort Reform and MoreThe Future is Now: The Perils of E-Discovery, Federation of Defense Counsel Corporation Presentation, Sun Valley, ID (July 2007)
- American Bar Association Litigation Seminar San Francisco, CA (August 2007)
- The Current State of Employment Law 2007 Second Corporate Counsel Institute, New York, NY (October 2007)
- Panelist, EPLI Issues in Risk Management Marsh, New York, New York (October 2007)
- ALE Negotiation Seminar New York, NY (November 2007)
- Reducing Liability & Damage Awards in Discrimination Cases Employment Practices Liability Insurance Conference, New York, NY (January 2008)
- Harassment Seminar before American Business Group New York, NY (February 2008)
- TIPS Counsel re: Media in Las Vegas American Bar Association Seminar, Las Vegas, NV (May 2008)
- Panelist, EPLI Class Actions: Class Actions Aren’t Just For Big Companies Anymore Professional Risk Symposium, EPLI & E&O Fiduciary, Professional Liability Underwriting Society, Atlanta, GA (May 2008)
- Keynote Speaker, National Association Insurance Women Luncheon Dallas, TX (May 2008)
- Mediation Presentation New York, NY (September 2008)
- Ethical Obligations and the Tripartite Relationship Presentation Chicago, IL (September 2008)
- 3rd Annual National Employment Practices Liability Insurance ExecuSummit New York, NY (September 2008)
- Employment and Asbestos Seminar Utica, NY (December 2008)
- Panelist, The Defense Perspective The 14th Annual Conference on Employment Practices Liability Insurance, New York, NY (January 2009)
- The Current State of Employment Law in 2009 Simsbury, CT (January 2009)
- Panelist, The Art of Mediation How ADR Masters Prepare and Win, Federation of Defense Counsel Corporation, Kaui, HI (February 2009)
- New Employment Law & Developments Training New York, NY (February 2009)
- Panelist, A New Administration, A New Legal Landscape Recent & Prospective Changes to Federal & Employment Law – Seminar, New York, NY (February 2009)
- The Current State of Employment Law – Critical Issues & Best Practices New York, NY (February 2009)
- Panelist, The Economic Downturn and EPL Claims - What to Expect in 2009New York, NY (March 2009)
- Ageism – Age As a Factor In Disparate Impact and Disparate Treatment Claims Employment Law Seminar, The Voice of the Defense Bar, Orlando, FL (April 2009)
- Panelist, The Impact of the Media on Legal Reform Lawyers for Civil Justice, New York, NY (December 2009)
- Panelist, Advising Corporations in the Electronic Age, The Interplay Between Legal & Public Relations Ramifications NYS Bar Association – Third Corporate Counsel, New York, NY (November 2009)
- Ethics Presentation – 2009 Navigating the Ethics Rules as In House Counsel New York, NY (November 2009)
- Panelist, Do High Unemployment and Expansion of Employees Rights = More Claims 22nd International Professional Liability Underwriting Society Conference, Chicago, IL (November 2009)
- Lawyers on Hire – Ethical Challenges For Insurance LawyersInsurance Coverage & Practice Symposium, The Voice of the Defense Bar, New York, NY (December 2009)
- Life of an Employment Lawsuit Chartis Insurance Mock Trial, Garden City, NY (January 2010)
- Reductions in Force: Conducting a RIF in a Manner That Will Minimize Both Exposure To Risk and the Potential for Negative Press Expert Strategies and Key Insights for Minimizing Risk, Defending Against the Newest EPL Claims, and Reducing Litigation Costs, American Conference Institute, New York, NY (January 2010)
- How Can High Unemployment and the Expansion of Employee Rights Create More ClaimsNew York, NY (February 2010)
- The Impact of the Media on the Courtroom, Lawyers & Litigants – Panel Title: Defending a Damages Claim The Council on Litigation Management, 2010 Annual Conference, Ponte Vedra Beach, FL (March 2010)
- Life of an Employment LawsuitChartis Insurance Mock Trial, Philadelphia, PA (April 2010)
Verdicts and Settlements:
- Ms. Colwin has successfully tried 43 cases to verdict in various jurisdictions throughout the U.S.
Other Outstanding Achievements: