Brett M. Bloomston
Top rated criminal defense attorney in Birmingham, AlabamaThe Bloomston Firm
Practice Areas: Criminal defense, White collar crimes; view more
Licensed in Alabama since: 1996
Education: The University of Alabama School of Law
The Bloomston Firm1914 4th Avenue North
Birmingham, AL 35203 Visit website
As a partner at Bloomston and Basgier in Birmingham, Alabama, Brett M. Bloomston focuses his practice primarily on complex criminal defense matters, but he also has experience handling cases involving civil rights, discrimination, personal injury, product liability, and health care fraud. He serves clients throughout Birmingham and other parts of the state.
After receiving a B.A. cum laude from the University of Alabama in 1993, Mr. Bloomston attended the University of Alabama School of Law and was awarded his Juris Doctor in 1996. While in law school, he was an editor of the Law & Psychology Review. Admitted to practice in Alabama, Mr. Bloomston is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Middle Districts of Alabama, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit.
Throughout his career, Mr. Bloomston has maintained numerous notable memberships and appointments. He is a member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the Alabama Criminal Defense Lawyers Association and the Birmingham American Inn of Court, and he has also served as president of the Greater Birmingham Criminal Defense Lawyers Association. Mr. Bloomston has taught classes on the subjects of evidence and criminal law as an adjunct professor at Miles Law School, and he has also been a speaker at CLE seminars throughout Alabama.
Mr. Bloomston has also been called upon by media organizations to provide insight into his field as well as to discuss particular high-profile cases he has been involved in. He has been featured on both The Today Show and as a commentator on TruTV's "In Session." Highly regarded by his peers, Mr. Bloomston has been honored with Martindale-Hubbell's AV Preeminent* rating and has been listed as a top lawyer by the American Association for Justice.
*AV Preeminent and BV Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories: legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasCriminal defense, Criminal defense: white collar
Arrest & arraignment, Assault & battery, Criminal fraud, Criminal law, Drug & alcohol violations, Expungement, Felony, Juvenile delinquency, Misdemeanor, Motor vehicle offenses, Murder, Probation, Sex offenses, Tax evasion, Theft, Criminal domestic violence, White collar crime, Criminal law - federal
- 80% Criminal defense
- 20% Criminal defense: white collar
First Admitted: 1996, Alabama
Professional Webpage: https://www.thebloomstonfirm.com/attorneys/brett-m-bloomston...
- The University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, B.A. in Interdisciplinary Pre-Law; Honors: cum laude - 1993
- Dean's List / President's List
- ATLA Top 100 Lawyers in Alabama
- A.V. Martindale-Hubble Rating
- Birmingham's Top Attorneys
- Zeta Beta Tau
- The University of Alabama School of Law, Law & Psychology Review, 1995 - 1996
- Faculty, Miles College of Law, September, 1999 - Present
- Adjunct Faculty, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1998
- Partner, Law Office of David Cromwell Johnson & Associates, 1997 - 2002
- Contract Attorney focusing on Insurance Defense, LLoyd, Schreiber & Grey, P.C., 1996 - 1997
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Alabama, 1996
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia, 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1997
- Life Member, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Alabama Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Member, Alabama Bar Association
- Member, Birmingham Bar Association, Criminal Justice & Procedure Section
- Committee Member, American Civil Liberties Union
- Past President, Greater Birmingham Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Criminal Justice Act Panel, Administrative Committee
- Jefferson County, Alabama, Special Circuit Court Judge, 1998 - Present
- City of Birmingham, Alabama, Special Municipal Court Judge, 1998 - Present
- City of Mtn. Brook, Alabama, Special Municipal Court Judge, 1998 - Present
- City of Vestavia Hills, Alabama, Special Municipal Judge, 2003 - Present
- Alabama, 1996
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Alabama, 1996
Office location for Brett M. Bloomston
1914 4th Avenue North
Birmingham, AL 35203
- Super Lawyers: 2008 - 2022