Derrick A. Mills
Top rated Personal Injury attorney in Birmingham, AlabamaMarsh, Rickard & Bryan, P.C.
Derrick A. Mills is a partner with Marsh, Rickard & Bryan, P.C., a Birmingham, Alabama, law firm focusing on plaintiff's personal injury litigation, wrongful death cases and business disputes. In his practice at the firm, Derrick represents plaintiffs in personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits related to motor vehicle accidents, defective products and on-the-job injuries. Derrick also represents both individual and business clients in commercial disputes and insurance bad faith claims.
Derrick graduated cum laude from the University of North Alabama, magna cum laude from the University of Alabama School of Law in 2003 and began his legal career as a law clerk to the Hon. U.W. Clemon of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama. He is currently an Alabama State Bar commissioner for the 10th Judicial Circuit and is a past president of the Magic City Bar Association, the Birmingham area's minority bar association. Derrick remains an active member of the Magic City Bar Association and several other professional organizations as well, including the Birmingham Bar Association, the Alabama Association for Justice and the American Bar Association.
445 Dexter Avenue, Suite 4050
Montgomery, AL 36104
Practice areasPersonal Injury - General: Plaintiff, Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff, Insurance Coverage, Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff
Bad Faith Insurance, Birth Injury, Brain Injury, Construction Accident, Delayed or Incorrect Diagnosis, Dram Shop Laws, Informed Consent, Medical Devices, Medical Malpractice, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Motor Vehicle Defects, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Pharmaceutical, Trucking Accidents, Wrongful Death
- 40% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 40% Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff
- 10% Insurance Coverage
- 10% Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 2003, Alabama
Professional Webpage: http://www.mrblaw.com/Who-We-Are/Derrick-A-Mills.shtml
- At Marsh, Rickard & Bryan, P.C., a major part of our personal injury practice involves representing TBI survivors and their loved ones. We are passionate about helping these clients build a brighter future. We also help connect them with the support and resources they need when they’re grappling with the devastating aftermath of a TBI., Super Lawyers Legal Leader
- Emergency Room Wait – Confidential Settlement in Montgomery County, Alabama: Derrick Mills resolved a case against an ambulance company and a hospital following the death of a woman in the hospital waiting room. Once emergently transported, no hospital personnel ever talked to our client to determine her chief complaint or condition. Video of the waiting room showed the woman continue to suffer from pain and distress. About 30 to 40 minutes later, the woman suffered an acute heart attack that ultimately led to her death.
- Medical Malpractice – $2.5 Million Verdict In Marion County: A Marion County jury returned a $2.5 million verdict against a nursing home in Winfield, Alabama. David Marsh and Derrick Mills represented the plaintiff and tried the case. The case grew out of the wrongful death of Norman Rhodes, a 62-year-old man who was admitted to the Golden Living Nursing Home for care and therapy following two strokes. Mr. Rhodes suffered a traumatic catheter injury, which resulted in a loss of blood that led to his death. There was evidence that the catheter injury happened when Mr. Rhodes was improperly turned by nursing home personnel. The jury considered evidence that Mr. Rhodes was unable to turn himself and could not have pulled out his catheter by himself. Also, there was evidence that the risk of injury was substantially increased when the nursing home employees failed to use a leg strap to hold Mr. Rhodes’ catheter in place.
- Machinery Case – Confidential Settlement In Madison County, Alabama: Mike Beard and Derrick Mills settled a case on behalf of a man who lost his leg from an on-the-job injury. At the time, the client was working for a contractor that provided paper-shredding services for various agencies of the federal government. The shredder he used was so large that it was mounted to a flatbed trailer. It was also brand new, but it literally came apart while it was operating; large pieces of fan blades struck the client’s right leg, which later had to be amputated.
- Trade Secrets – Confidential Settlement In Birmingham Federal Court: Mike Beard, Rip Andrews, Derrick Mills, David Marsh and Jane Mauzy settled an intellectual property case for an Alabama-based small business against a national corporation recognized as one of the world’s largest makers and suppliers of professional audio equipment. The Alabama business came up with a unique design for a wakeboard tower speaker. The allegation was that the national corporation wrongfully used the design in violation of a confidentiality agreement entered into between the parties. Once its trade secret was misappropriated, the Alabama business found it impossible to exercise its ownership rights and locate a new manufacturer capable of bringing the product to market. As a result, the Alabama business was forced to file a lawsuit in order to recover the value of the trade secret and right this wrong.
- Alabama Bar Association, 2003 - Present
- Executive Committee, Birmingham Bar Association, 2008 - 2009
- American Bar Association, 2006 - Present
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Alabama, 2004
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 2006
- Birmingham Bar Association, 2004 - Present
- Magic City Bar Association, 2004 - Present, President, 2010,
- Mississippi, 2004
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Alabama, 2004
- Alabama Bar Association, 10th Judicial Circuit Board of Bar Commissioners 2010-2013
- Executive Committee, Birmingham Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section, 2006 - 2009
- Alabama Association for Justice, 2007 - Present, Board of Directors 2010
- Alabama, 2003
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Alabama, 2004
- University of North Alabama, Florence, Alabama, B.S. in Political Science
Office location for Derrick A. Mills
800 Shades Creek Parkway
Birmingham, AL 35209
- Super Lawyers: 2014 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2011 - 2013