G. John Durward, Jr.
Top rated Family Law attorney in Birmingham, AlabamaDurward & Durward
G. John Durward Jr. is an attorney at Durward & Durward, Attorneys at Law, in Birmingham, Alabama. Mr. Durward handles all aspects of family law, such as divorce, child custody, child support, paternity, property division and more. He represents clients throughout the Birmingham metropolitan area including the counties of Jefferson, Shelby, Tuscaloosa, Blount and Saint Clair, as well as the Alabama Court of Civil Appeals and the Alabama Supreme Court.
Mr. Durward is a graduate of Tulane University, A. B. Freeman School of Business, where he earned a bachelor’s degree in finance. He then earned his law degree from The University of Alabama School of Law. He has been admitted to practice in all Alabama state courts since 1997 and became licensed to appear before the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama in 1998.
Actively involved in local and state professional organizations, Mr. Durward is a member of the Birmingham Bar Association (in which he has served many positions) and Alabama State Bar Association. He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers and the International Academy of Family Lawyers, and has also served in numerous roles in both organizations throughout his career.
Mr. Durward has been recognized for his accomplishments within the legal profession as a family attorney. He is listed in the Best Lawyers in America in the area of Family law and is rated AV Preeminent*, the highest possible rating, by the peer review organization Martindale-Hubbell. In addition to his legal work, he is active within his local community, having served on the board of directors for Catholic Family Services and the board of trustees for the Legal Aid Society of Birmingham.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasFamily Law, Estate Planning & Probate
Adoption, Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Father's Rights, Juvenile Law, Living Wills, Marital Property, Mediation & Collaborative Law, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements, Probate & Estate Administration, Same Sex Family Law, Wills
- 90% Family Law
- 10% Estate Planning & Probate
First Admitted: 1997, Alabama
Professional Webpage: https://www.durwardlaw.com/attorney/g-j-durward-jr/
- Superlawyers- (2018- present), SuperLawyers
- Birmingham Top Attorney- Family Law, Birmingham Magazine, 2009
- Martindale Hubbell AV Rated
- SuperLawyers Rising Star, 2011-2012
- Long v. Long, 824 So. 2d 778 (Ala. Civ. App. 2001)
- Wilkinson v. Wilkinson, 828 So. 2d 924 (Ala. Civ. App. 2001)
- Ex parte H.H., 830 So. 2d 21 (Ala. 2002)
- Wilkinson v. Wilkinson, 905 So. 2d 1 (Ala. Civ. App. 2004)
- Clements v. Clements, 990 So. 2d 383 (Ala. Civ. App. 2007)
- Nichols v. Nichols, 4 So. 3d 491 (Ala. Civ. App. 2008)
- Morrison v. Morrison, 837 So. 2d 840 (Ala. Civ. App. 2001).
- Tyler v. Tyler, 990 So. 2d 423 (Ala. Civ. App. 2008)
- Ex parte M.A.G., 160 So. 3d 22 (Ala. Civ. App. 2014).
- Ex parte Holloway, 218 So. 3d 853 (Ala. Civ. App. 2016).
- Messina v. Agee, 333 So. 3d 961 (Ala. Civ. App. 2020)
- Wright v. Wright-White, 334 So. 3d 1255 (Ala. Civ. App. 2021).
- Indian Springs School, Indian Springs, AL Class of 1990
- Tulane University, A. B. Freeman School of Business, New Orleans, LA, B.S.M. in Finance, May 1994
- Alabama State Bar, Admitted, 1997
- Birmingham Bar Association, Member of Family, Domestic Relations & Juvenile Courts Procedures Committee, 2000-2002
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML), 2004-present
- Secretary, Alabama Chapter, 2008-2010
- International Academy of Family Lawyers (IAFL), 2009-present
- Birmingham Bar Association, Grievanmce Committee Member, 2012-2014, 2012
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama, 1998
- Birmingham Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section, 1997- 2010
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, 2004
- President Alabama Chapter, 2011-2012
- American Bar Association, 1997-2007, 2016
- Alabama State Bar, Member Family Law Section, 1997-Present
- Birmingham Bar Association Domestic Relations Committee, Chair, 2006, Co-Chair 2019
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, board of Governors, 2014- present
- President-Elect Alabama Chapter, 2010-2011
- International Academy of Family Lawyers, U.S. Chapter Board of Managers, 2012-2017
- International Academy of Family Lawyers (IAFL) - Board of Governors (2021- present).
- Catholic Family Services- Board of Directors, 2011-2018, 2011
- Mentor for young lawyers representing representing parties pro bono in divorce cases as a part of a joint clinic sponsored by Birmingham Bar Association Young Lawyers and Birmingham Volunteer Lawyers Program, 2009
- Legal Aid Society of Birmingham, Board of Directors,2002-2010, Secretary 2003, President 2004, 2002
- Mentor for young lawyers representing representing parties pro bono in divorce cases as a part of a joint clinic sponsored by Birmingham Bar Association Young Lawyers and Birmingham Volunteer Lawyers Program, 2010
Office location for G. John Durward, Jr.
2140 11th Ave S
Birmingham, AL 35205