Top rated Environmental attorney in Birmingham, AlabamaFriedman, Dazzio & Zulanas, P.C.
Practice Areas: Environmental, Business Litigation
Licensed in Alabama since: 1986
Education: Samford University Cumberland School of Law
Mr. Friedman's legal practice is litigation driven. As a trial attorney, Mr. Friedman has participated in a wide array of municipal, professional and mass tort proceedings. Mr. Friedman at one time represented the Governor of Alabama in a civil lawsuit. In another case Mr. Friedman defended a regional airline in the worst air disaster in the history of this state. He has litigated a number of cases involving professional liability, employment, environmental, contract and personal injury cases.
Since the inception of the firm, Friedman has obtained substantial settlements and judgments in favor of our clients and twice was recognized by The National Law Journal in the top 100 verdicts in America (2001 and 2004). More recently, he has served as trial counsel in some of the most high profile cases in the region. In his 35 plus years of trial practice, Friedman has also been lead counsel in some of the most substantial environmental cases in the country including the states of Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma and Tennessee.
Mr. Friedman is a frequent speaker at client seminars and professional organizations. He has spoken and authored articles for several environmental symposiums. Mr. Friedman has also lectured for The Alabama Bar Institute and Cumberland School of Law continuing legal education program on subjects ranging from civil procedure to insurance coverage disputes. Another area of Mr. Friedman's practice includes a commitment to advise and counsel longstanding firm clients in various legal negotiations, mediations, and arbitrations.
Mr. Friedman is admitted to practice in all state and federal courts as well as the United States Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court. Mr. Friedman has litigated in over thirty counties in the state of Alabama and has been admitted, on a pro hac vice basis, to litigate in the states of Georgia, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas and West Virginia. He holds an AV rating by Martindale Hubbell which is the highest rating for an attorney bestowed by that organization, has been selected as an Alabama Super Lawyer and is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates. Friedman was a founding member of, and a current officer in, the Federal Practice Section of the Alabama Bar Association.
Jeff Friedman has been a long time member of the Cumberland Law School Dean's Advisory Board and serves on charitable organizations such as Cystic Fibrosis. He is a member of Canterbury Methodist Church, is married to Anise C. Friedman and is the proud father of three great children.
First Admitted: 1986, Alabama
Professional Webpage: http://www.friedman-lawyers.com/jeffrey-e-friedman/
- Lead counsel in largest environmental lawsuit in Tennessee history and obtained verdict for clients at trial. In re TENNESSEE VALLEY AUTHORITY ASH SPILL LITIGATION, 2012 WL 3647704.
- Multiple defense verdicts in mining, quarrying, and environmental lawsuits in Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee and West Virginia.
- Obtained defense verdicts in transportation and trucking lawsuits in venues across Alabama.
- Co-counsel in litigation arising from the worst air disaster in Alabama history and obtained defense verdict at trial on behalf of airline pilot. McGowan v. L'Express, Inc., 26 F.3d 1121 (11th Cir. 1994).
- Lead counsel in successful appellate effort to redefine Alabama law pertaining to damages recoverable in mining, nuisance and trespass cases. Birmingham Coal & Coke Company, Inc. v. Johnson, 10 So.3d 993 (Ala. 2008).
- Successfully represented SEC head football coach and obtained his dismissal from Tuscaloosa County lawsuit. Cottrell v. National Collegiate Athletic Ass'n., 975 So.2d 306 (Ala. 2007).
- Successfully represented Alabama Governor Fob James in retaliation/discrimination lawsuit and obtained summary judgment. Gene Tibbets v. Gov. Fob James, et al.
- Co-counsel for Bresette family in Birmingham Shuttlesworth International Airport tragedy involving the death of a child and numerous injuries to family members. Ryan Bresette, et al. v. Brasfield & Gorrie General Contractors, Inc., et al.
- Argued insurance coverage interpretation in cases of first impression before the Alabama Supreme Court in matters ranging from environmental coverage to uninsured motorist coverage. Federated Mutual Ins. Co. v. Abston Petroleum, Inc., 967 So.2d 705 (Ala. 2007). Federated Mutual Ins. Co. v. Vaughn, 961 So.2d 816 (Ala. 2007).
- Named and approved as class lead counsel for statewide class action. Prince Hagler, et al. v. ALFA Mutual Insurance, et al.
- As a founding partner of the firm in 1998, my greatest professional honors are not tied to my individual accomplishments but the growth of our firm which we measure in reputation, and not size. Our firm has been hired on many occasions over larger and older firms because of our reputation and track record. Recently we were retained in a mass tort case referred to by in house counsel as "bet the company" litigation. We are honored to be able to provide meaningful litigation experience, practical efficiency, and the ability to deliver results to our clients.
- Super Lawyers: 2010 - 2023