Josh J. Wright
Top rated Personal Injury attorney in Birmingham, AlabamaHollis, Wright & Clay, P.C.
Practice Areas: Personal Injury, Products Liability, Business Litigation; view more
Licensed in Alabama since: 1998
Education: The University of Alabama School of Law
Hollis, Wright & Clay, P.C.2201 Morris Avenue
Birmingham, AL 35203 Visit website
Josh J. Wright is the managing partner at Hollis, Wright & Clay, P.C., in Birmingham, Alabama. Focusing his practice solely on personal injury matters, including wrongful death, dram shop, industrial accidents, products and pharmaceutical issues, he serves clients throughout the state of Alabama and has over 23 years of experience in the legal arena.
Passionate about upholding justice at every turn, Mr. Wright fights aggressively for his clients’ rights and liberties. A zealous and tireless advocate, he understands the impact that injuries and harm caused by someone else’s careless and negligent actions can have on an individual and focuses on his clients’ interests and needs. He has obtained numerous million-dollar and multimillion-dollar verdicts and settlements for his clients.
With a bachelor’s degree in economics from Auburn University, Mr. Wright obtained his Juris Doctor degree from the University of Alabama School of Law in Tuscaloosa. In law school, he was inducted into the Order of Barristers. He was a member of the John A. Campbell Moot Court Board and the University of Alabama National Moot Court Team.
Additionally, Mr. Wright was awarded the Corpus Juris Secundum Academic Excellence Award and the Edward M. Friend Outstanding Oral Advocacy Award. He also was the recipient of the Lewis F. Powell, Jr. Medal for Excellence in oral advocacy and was the senior editor of the Alabama Law & Psychology Review.
Mr. Wright is actively involved and has memberships in prominent legal associations, including the Alabama State Bar and the Alabama Association for Justice. He was formerly on the board of directors of the Alabama Civil Justice Foundation, which focuses on making basic necessities, education and job opportunities accessible for those who cannot afford them.
Having written extensively, Mr. Wright has published a lot of his work in renowned journals. He is passionate about helping those who need it the most and has spent a lot of his time as a “big brother” at Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Birmingham. He has immense experience coaching over 50 youth teams in basketball, football and baseball.
Honored for his exceptional legal services, Mr. Wright is AV Preeminent peer review-rated,* the highest rating, through Martindale-Hubbell. Birmingham Business Journal named him to its Birmingham's Top 40 Under 40 and Birmingham's Top Small Business CEOs lists, and the Alabama Association for Justice included him on its Alabama's 12 Champions for Justice list.
Additionally, Mr. Wright was named to the lists of America's Top 100 Personal Injury Attorneys and America's Top 100 High Stakes Litigators. He was also selected for inclusion in The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100. In addition, he has been named to The Best Lawyers in America list as a top plaintiff lawyer.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review-rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers in America© are registered trademarks of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC. The names, logo, and database are protected under the trademark, copyright, and fair use laws of the United States of America. Any use of name, including in electronic form, must be made only by permission and under the guidelines of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC.
Practice areasPersonal Injury - General: Plaintiff, Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff, Business Litigation
Animal Bites, Brain Injury, Construction Accident, Dram Shop Laws, Medical Devices, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Motor Vehicle Defects, Non-Compete Agreements, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Pharmaceutical, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, Slip and Fall, Trucking Accidents, Wrongful Death
- 40% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 40% Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff
- 20% Business Litigation
First Admitted: 1998, Alabama
Professional Webpage: https://www.hollis-wright.com/josh-j-wright.html
- Josh has been honored with the Super Lawyer distinction since 2009, Super Lawyer Distinction since 2009, Super Lawyers
- Lewis F. Powell, Jr. Medal for Excellence in oral advocacy at the National Moot Court Competition
- Edward M. Friend Outstanding Oral Advocacy Award
- Recipient of the Corpus Juris Secundum Academic Excellence Award
- University of Alabama School of Law, John A. Campbell Moot Court Board
- University of Alabama National Moot Court Team
- University of Alabama School of Law, Order of Barristers
- Top 40 Under 40 Business Leaders in Birmingham
- Birmingham Business Journal Birmingham's Top Small Business CEO
- Business Alabama Magazine's Top Attorneys in Alabama
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- America's Top 100 High Stakes Litigators
- America's Top 100 Personal Injury Attorneys
- Mid-South Super Lawyers Recognition, 11 years
- Josh was awarded the top PI lawyer, Top Rated Lawyer in the area of Personal Injury, American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell, 2013
- Honored as one of Alabama's twelve "Champions for Justice" by the Alabama Association for Justice.
- Voted one of Americas top plaintiff lawyers in America., Top Plaintiff Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers in America, 2016
- Ranked AV Preeminent by his legal peers and judges, which is the highest and most prestigious peer review rating given to lawyers by Martindale-Hubbell, 2009
- Chosen as one of Birmingham's Top 40 under 40, a group of top professionals under the age of 40 years old in the Birmingham, Alabama area.
- 2010 to the Board of Directors of the Alabama Civil Justice Foundation (ACJF)
- Alabama State Bar, Member
- Member, Alabama Association for Justice (formerly Alabama Trial Lawyers Association). Former member of Board of Governors and former TRIAL Chairman. Currently serving on the Executive Committee for the Association and recently elected to serve as a Board of Directors member. Mr. Wright has been selected as the Association's Treasurer for 2010-2011.
- Former president of the Alabama Trial Lawyers Association- 62nd president in the state’s history
- Mr. Wright represents many clients that obtained sizeable awards, including a $15 million dollar verdict in a products liability suit, a $17.3 million dollar award in a commercial business dispute case, a $3.76 million dollar verdict in a pool drowning case, a $3 million dollar resolution involving a commercial vehicle, a $2.2 million dollar result in a convenience store murder case, a $1.6 million dollar award in business-on-business dispute case, and many, many more multi-million dollar resolutions that are subject to confidentiality and cannot be disclosed.* Although those examples represent sizeable awards, Mr. Wright also represents clients that have modest injuries, and works just as hard for those clients that were injured at no fault of their own. “What separates exceptional representation from average representation is simple: you fight vigorously for your clients no matter the value; helping people through tough times is what I was born to do
- Bachelor of Science degree in Economics from Auburn University in Auburn, AL
- The Attorneys provide legal information to the general public. Viewers are able to call or text an attorney off-air and speak with an attorney regarding the show's topic., Dram Shop Law show / The Attorneys, General Public, Referring Attorneys, 2019
- Created the show The Attorneys eight years ago to serve the public by providing easy-to-access leagal information., Created the show The Attorneys, General Public, Referring Attorneys, 2019
- Mr. Wright explores the fact that juries are awarding higher verdicts post-Covid. , author, Post-COVID Verdicts... What is Going On? , blog, 2022
- Senior Editor of the Alabama Law & Psychology Review
- Multiplying Insurance Coverage: Applying the Definition of "Occurrence" to Obtain More Coverage in Your Client's Motor Vehicle Collision Case, Journal of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America, TRIAL Magazine, December, 2005.
- Post-Arbitration Award Confirmation, Enforcement and/or Appeal, presented at Hot Topics Seminar, Wynfrey Hotel, Birmingham, Alabama, December 8, 2005.
- The Commercial Arbitration Marketplace: Turning a Commercial Dispute into an Arbitration Award, presented at 2006 ATLA Annual Convention, Seattle, Washington, July 2006.
- Alabama Alcohol Beverage Control Board of Directors (January 2009 Board Meeting). Mr. Wright lobbied the Board for stricter rules and regulations - requiring bars, restaurants and convenience stores across the State of Alabama to obtain more insurance -- that would protect Alabama citizens from drunk drivers. His work changed two Alabama ABC regulations in January 2010, including the elimination of "eroding" limits (i.e., allowed defendants to bill their costs of defense against the insurance available to a drunk driving victim), and requiring insurance companies to notify the ABC Board if they plan to cancel liquor liability insurance for non-payment of premiums.
- "Got Beer?" How Alcohol Providers Better Ask "Have You Had Too Much?" Presented at Alabama Association for Justice 2010 Mid-Winter Seminar, Birmingham, Alabama, January 2010
- After the Storm: Insurance Tips for Tornado Victims. Host on CBS Channel 42, Sunday May 1, 2011, to discuss various legal issues pertaining to storm victims. A link to the show can be found here.
- Alabama Law Call, Host on WBRC FOX 6 Television, October 31, 2010. Mr. Wright presented views on the current status of Alabama's liquor liability laws, and how restaurants, bars and convenience stores can be held responsible for irresponsible actions.
- Senate Bills 207 and 59, Changes to Alabama's Post Judgment Interest and Statute of Repose, presented at August 26, 2011, ALAJ Big Changes Seminar, Birmingham, Alabama.
- Senate Bill 184, Changes to Alabama's Product Liability Laws, presented at August 26, 2011, ALAJ Big Changes Seminar, Birmingham, Alabama.
- Alabama Product Liability Law, presented at October 28, 2011 Dauber, Products & How the 2011 Legislative Session Affects Your Practice Seminar, Huntsville Alabama.
- Pool and Aquatic Related Injuries – Know the Law so you Don’t Sink. Presented at the Southern Trial Lawyers’ Association Annual Seminar, New Orleans, Louisiana, February 8, 2013.
- Playing nice in the legal sandbox. Common interests and funding the Court. Presented at the Alabama Defense Lawyers' Association Annual Convention in San Destin, Florida, June 20, 2015.
- Co-Employee Litigation is not Dead in Alabama, presented via a blog as a practice-specific topic, December 7, 2021.
Office location for Josh J. Wright
2201 Morris Avenue
Birmingham, AL 35203
- Super Lawyers: 2008 - 2022
Additional sources of information about Josh J. Wright
Find me online
- https://t.co/EN9gvDiBDm Did you miss Sunday night's show? Dog bites and animal attacks are common, especially durin… https://t.co/Ohn3cfeU35
- https://t.co/0zu6pnwBDY Did you miss the show last night? Need answers to questions regarding criminal law? Be sure… https://t.co/sIDM33eRCr
- Head over to our Facebook and Instagram pages to enter our summer contest! https://t.co/eh1WRFcr2j