Joseph A. Morris
Top Rated Personal Injury Attorney in Fairhope, AL
Joseph A. Morris is a partner at Morris, Cary, Andrews, Talmadge & Driggers, LLC, where he focuses his practice primarily on personal injury and wrongful death litigation. From the firm's offices in Fairhope, Alabama, he represents clients throughout the state as well as in Florida. Admitted to practice in both of those jurisdictions, Mr. Morris is admitted to practice before several federal trial and appellate courts as well, including the U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Middle and Southern Districts of Alabama, the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit, and the Supreme Court of the United States.
Mr. Morris provides aggressive advocacy for people who have been harmed as the result of the negligence of other parties. The types of cases that he has handled have arisen out of incidents involving truck and other motor vehicle crashes, medical malpractice, nursing home abuse and defective products. In addition, Mr. Morris has had success in litigating sexual assault cases against business entities. Mr. Morris has been able to obtain numerous sizable jury awards and negotiated settlements, and this has led to his being a member of the invitation-only Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
Mr. Morris also represents people who have been injured on the job and who are seeking their rightful benefits under their employer's workers' compensation insurance coverage. His successful track record in all these endeavors along with his high degree of ethics have led to a great deal of recognition from his colleagues, including an AV Preeminent* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell and a 10.0 "Superb" peer-review rating through Avvo. In addition, Mr. Morris has been named to The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100. He is a 1994 Juris Doctor recipient from Samford University's Cumberland School of Law.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Dothan / Mailing Address:
3334 Ross Clark Circle
Dothan, AL 36303
21 South Section Street, Suite 4,
Fairhope, Alabama 36532
- 40%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 20%Workers' Compensation: Claimant
- 20%Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff
- 10%Health Care
- 10%Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff
Animal Bites, Assault, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Slip and Fall, Wrongful Death, Dram Shop Laws, Construction Accident, Brain Injury, Sexual Abuse - Plaintiff, Trucking Accidents, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, Motor Vehicle Defects, Pharmaceutical, Medical Malpractice, Delayed or Incorrect Diagnosis
- Super Lawyers: 2011, 2017 - 2022
About Joseph A. Morris
First Admitted: 1994, Alabama
Professional Webpage: https://www.morriscaryandrews.com/attorneys/joseph-a-morris/
- Director, Cumberland Trial Advocacy Board
- Board of Bar Commissioners, Alabama Bar Association
- Disciplinary Panel, Alabama Bar Association
- Member, Alabama State Bar
- U.S. Supreme Court 2003
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Florida Bar Association
- Member, Houston County Bar Association
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1994
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims 2010
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Alabama, 1994
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida 2003
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Alabama, 1999
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Alabama, 1994
- Florida, 1995
- Alabama, 1994
- Joey Morris has served his profession and community through his service in many different Bar and community functions such as: Bar Commissioner for the Alabama State Bar 2000-2009; Service on Disciplinary Panel for the Alabama State Bar; Chairman of the Lawyer Referral Service Board for the State of Alabama; former President of Young Lawyers for the 20th judicial circuit; Dothan Chamber of Commerce Leadership Class; Member American Association for Justice; National Trial Lawyer Top 100 (2013-present); Municipal Judge the for City of Newton (2007-2017).
- Victor, Haley Federal Trial Competition
- AV Preeminent rating by Martindale-Hubbell
- Who’s Who of American Law students
- Super Lawyers, 2011, 2017 - 2019
- Every year since 2013 Joey has consistently been recognized as a Top 100 Trial Lawyer from the state of Alabama. This is based upon a selection process and review by a select review committee and his peers., National Trial Lawyer Top 100, 2019
- Joey Morris is a member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, which is restricted to those attorneys who have achieved verdicts or settlements that are over a million dollars. He has also been the recipient of a Recognition Award for Service to the Alabama State Bar. In 2011 and 2017, Joey was selected to Super Lawyers for the State of Alabama. Since 2013 Joey has been honored with selection to the National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers, which is selected by invitation only to those attorneys who exemplify superior qualifications, trial results, and leadership in their respective state. Membership in the Top 100 Trial Lawyers is limited to 100 lawyers from each state. He was also selected in 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017.
- Adjunct Professor, Troy State University at Dothan, 1996 - 1998
- Cumberland School of Law at Samford University 1994
- Ft. Walton Beach High School
- University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Al; BS Finance, Honors: Delta Sigma Pi Business Honorary, Pi Kappa Phi Social Fraternity, Dean's List1991
- Joey Morris is admitted to practice in the highest courts in both Alabama and Florida; all Federal Courts in Alabama and the Northern District of Florida; the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals; the U.S. Court of Federal Claims; and the United States Supreme Court.
- Joey resolved a number of cases last year but of note are the following: He litigated a sexual assault/premises liability case to a successfull conclusion against a major hotel chain and local franchisee for sexual assault committed againt a customer; He represented a college basketball player against the school she played for and driver of the team bus after the team bus ran off the road and overturned. Joey overcame the immunity issue defenses by showing the driver had been impaired at the time of the accident and there was evidence of history of prior issues with the driver., 2019
- 2018 Notable Cases: Joey litigated and resolved a case for the family of an illegal immigrant who was killed while working as a roofer after the proper safety equipment was not provided for him to use. This case is still continuing against one of the remaining defendants; Joey litigated a case in the panhandle of Florida against a hospital for the improper care of patient that developed life-threatening pressure soars, which was eventually resolved prior to trial; Joey settled a case for two minors in Illinois who were severely injured by another vehicle at a railroad crossing; Joey resolved a dispute against a rehab facility where the patient suffered an additional injury in the form of a fractured leg and the facility denied they were to blame., 2018
- Cases of note in 2015 include: A case Joey tried in Illinois for the death of a man killed in Alabama. The case was tried for five days and was settled for seven figures at the start of closing arguments. Joey recently settled a case of a young man who hung himself in a county jail after successful oral arguments regarding the subject of immunity in the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals., 2015
- 2017 Notable Cases: Joey litigated a case involving a car accident in which a 17 year old boy was rendered a paraplegic after the vehicle he was riding in pulled out from a stop sign into the path of a tractor-trailer. Joey was able to secure a settlement against the driver of the car, but also against the trucking company despite its denial for most of the case of any liability. Joey determined through discovery the truck should have been deemed out of service for deficiency in the brakes and for a faulty speedometer and never been on the road. The trucking company settled before trial for a confidential amount. Joey litigated a case against an ambulance company for the death of a man from a heart attack and was able to obtain a substantial settlement for his client's family. During the course of litigation it was discovered the initial ambulance crew, who were on scene when the victim had his heart attack, were under-qualified to treat this man. Specifically, there was no emt on board the ambulance, which was required by the ambulance's contract with the county that it served. In addition, the initial crew failed to load the victim and proceed to the hospital, but instead called on another crew to come to the scene to assist. Joey was able to show that this delay in treatment facilitated the man's death., 2017
Pro bono/Community Service
- Honduras mission trip: Assisted at an orphanage for children ages 1-19., 2020
- Dothan Area Chamber of Commerce Leadership Class
- Driver for Meals on Wheels to feed the homebound
- Chairman of the Board, Lawyer Referral Service
- Member, First United Methodist Church of Dothan
- Former Director for Boys and Girls Club of Dothan; Chairman of the Cystic Fibrosis Fundraising Walk for Dothan area; Volunteer Lawyer for the Alabama State Bar; Coach of numerous youth league sports.
- We would like to wish you and your family a Happy 4th of July!! 🇺🇸 #July4th #4thofJuly #FourthofJuly #IndependenceDay #USA
- Today is #SocialMediaDay2020! We want to thank you for following us and invite you to connect with us on Facebook a… https://t.co/wa0jrD6WkI
- We would like to wish all the dads a Happy Father's Day! #HappyFathersDay #FathersDay #MCATD
- This month's newsletter focuses on swimming pool safety. Click the link to read! Link: https://t.co/hACGpC5bWb… https://t.co/A8eEDEmzHk
- Free Consultations! #personalinjury #attorney #lawyer ⚖️ No representation is made that the quality of the legal s… https://t.co/8wMBppuO88
Last Updated: 6/21/2022