John J. Tiemessen
Top Rated Medical Malpractice Attorney in Fairbanks, AK
Attorney John J. Tiemessen is the managing member of Clapp, Peterson, Tiemessen, Thorsness LLC, in Fairbanks, Alaska. Mr. Tiemessen practices commercial litigation, insurance defense, medical malpractice defense, professional liability and product liability. He also represents employers and municipalities in various legal matters. He serves clients from his Fairbanks and Anchorage locations, as well as on a nationwide basis.
A trial attorney for over 25 years, Mr. Tiemessen has been involved in many major cases over the course of his career. He represents clients, including professionals in health care and other industries.
An active member of the Alaska Bar Association, Mr. Tiemessen belongs to the Civil Rules Committee, a committee to reduce appellate delay. He is president-elect of the Western States Bar Conference and a member and former president of the Tanana Valley Bar Association. He also holds memberships with the American Bar Association and the Association of Defense Trial Attorneys.
In addition to his law practice and leadership roles, Mr. Tiemessen serves his community through pro bono and volunteer efforts. He participates in Rotary Club of College and the Alaska Bar Association’s MLK Day Legal Clinic.
After graduating magna cum laude from Arizona State University with a bachelor’s degree in political science, Mr. Tiemessen received his law degree from Willamette University College of Law. He graduated cum laude and participated on the moot court board and mock trial team. He holds licenses to practice law before all Alaska state courts and the U.S. District Court for the District of Alaska.
About John J. Tiemessen
First Admitted: 1991, Alaska
Professional Webpage: https://www.cplawak.com/attorney/tiemessen-john-j/
- Jaso v. McCarthy, 923 P.2d 795, 1996, Alaska
- Amyot v. Luchini, 932 P.2d 244, 1997, Alaska
- City of North Pole v. Zabek, 934 P.2d 1292, 1997, Alaska
- Zaverl v. Hanley, 64 P.3d 809, 2003, Alaska
- Cable v. Shefchik, 984 P.2d 474, 1999, Alaska
- Hebert v. Honest Bingo, 18 P.3d 43, 2001, Alaska
- Wells v. State, 46 P.3d 967, 2002, Alaska
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys
- Tanana Valley Bar Association, President, 1999 to 2000
- Alaska Bar Association, Discipline Hearing Committee, 2010 to 2010
- Alaska Bar Association, Committee for Reduction of Appellate Delay
- Alaska Bar Association, Civil Rules Committee
- Alaska Bar Association, President, 2006 to 2007
- Alaska Bar Association, Board of Governors, 2003 to 2009
- Tanana Valley Bar Association, President, 1999
- American Bar Association
- U.S. District Court District of Alaska
- Alaska, 1991
- Past President, Alaska Bar Association, 2006
- The Golden Retriever Rule: Alaska's Identity Privilege for Animal Adoption Agencies and for Adoptive Pet Owners, 21 Alaska Law Review 77, June, 2004
- Past President, Western States Bar Conference, 2006
- Western States Bar Conference, President, 2010 to 2011
- Western States Bar Conference, President-Elect
Pro bono/Community Service
- College Rotary Club
- Alaska Bar Association MLK Day Pro Bono Clinic
- Arizona State University, B.S., Honors: Magna Cum Laude, Major: Political Science, 1987
- Alaska's "Superlawyers"
- Superlawyers, 2007 - Present
Last Updated: 5/15/2022