Debora L. Verdier
Top rated employment litigation attorney in Phoenix, ArizonaThe Cavanagh Law Firm
Practice Areas: Employment litigation, Professional liability, Insurance coverage
Licensed in Arizona since: 1997
Debora Verdier is a contract partner with the firm. Ms. Verdier graduated from the Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law at Arizona State University in 1997. Ms. Verdier defends employers in all types of labor and employment disputes pending before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, state and federal courts, and private arbitrators. She has experience in defending employers, including municipalities, against claims of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation brought under Title VII, the Family Medical Leave Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, and the whistleblower provisions of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.
Ms. Verdier also has significant experience in handling large and complex litigation matters in the areas of professional liability, antitrust, copyright, and healthcare reimbursement. She has also litigated disputes associated with the dissolution of businesses or disputes among existing business partners, including claims of breach of contract, mismanagement, fraudulent misrepresentation, and breach of fiduciary and statutory duties. In addition to representing business clients in litigation, Ms. Verdier counsels companies with an eye toward preventing disputes and providing pre-litigation solutions. Ms. Verdier has represented businesses in liability and insurance matters and has represented insurance companies in matters involving reimbursement issues and insurance coverage disputes. Her work in this area has included preparing insurance coverage opinions, reservation of rights letters, and, if necessary, litigating coverage disputes and negotiating resolutions.
Ms. Verdier has represented businesses in insurance matters and has represented insurance companies in matters involving reimbursement issues and insurance coverage disputes. Her work in this area has included preparing insurance coverage opinions, reservation of rights letters, and, if necessary, litigating coverage disputes and negotiating resolutions.
Ms. Verdier serves as a judge pro tem in the Maricopa County Superior Court and also serves as an adjunct faculty member at her alma matter, the Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law at Arizona State University.
First Admitted: 1997, Arizona
Professional Webpage: https://www.cavanaghlaw.com/team/debora-l-verdier/
- B.S. Political Science/Philosophy, Arizona State University, 1992
- Debora Verdier reports on a recent Arizona case in which the court found an arbitration agreement to be substantively unconscionable. The agreement was deemed invalid even though it was not a contract of adhesion and the court found that it was not procedurally unconscionable, nor did the agreement violate the claimant's reasonable expectations., Author, Arizona's Broad Interpretation of the "Effective Vindication" Theory , International Association of Defense Counsel, Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee Newsletter, 2013
- Debora Verdier reports on the recent trend of claims brought pursuant to the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act against property managers who collect homeowner association dues and assessments for their clients, and the various courts' conclusions that such property managers are not considered "debt collectors" for purposes of the FDCPA., Author, Property Managers That Are Collecting Assessments Are Not Debt Collectors Under the FDCPA, IADC Professional Liability Committee Newsletter
- Debora Verdier presented on the topic of negotiating police chief contracts to over 200 delegates at the 2014 International Con ference for Police & Law Enforcement Executives., Key Note Speaker, The Chief's Contract - Your Life Line, International Conference for Police & Law Enforcement Executives, American Professional Managment Society
- Debora moderated a panel discussion on Emerging Trends in Professional Liability., Moderator, Emerging Trends in Professional Liability, Professional Liability Underwriters Society, Southwest Chapter - Educational Event
- American Bar Association
- International Association Of Defense Counsel
- Maricopa County Bar Association
- Professional Liability Underwriters Society (SW Chapter Committee Member)
- Super Lawyers: 2013 - 2023
Top listsTop 50: Arizona Super Lawyers: 2016 - 2019, 2023
- Top 25: 2023 Women Arizona Super Lawyers
- Top 25: 2022 Women Arizona Super Lawyers
- Top 25: 2021 Women Arizona Super Lawyers
- Top 25: 2020 Women Arizona Super Lawyers
- Top 25: 2019 Women Arizona Super Lawyers
- Top 25: 2018 Women Arizona Super Lawyers
- Top 25: 2017 Women Arizona Super Lawyers
- Top 25: 2016 Women Arizona Super Lawyers
- Top 25: 2015 Women Arizona Super Lawyers