Elliot H. Wernick
Top rated Civil Litigation attorney in Phoenix, ArizonaThe Cavanagh Law Firm
Practice Areas: Civil Litigation, Personal Injury, Insurance Coverage view more
Licensed in Arizona since: 1993
Elliot H. Wernick is a Senior Member with The Cavanagh Law Firm and has been practicing law for more than twenty-eight years, including the last twenty-two counseling and representing the insurance industry and its insureds in complex litigation matters, along with handling commercial litigation matters for his clients.
Elliot has extensive experience in successfully handling complex personal injury and tort matters, including the defense and litigation of complex automobile and trucking accidents resulting in catastrophic injury or death. Elliot devotes a substantial amount of his personal injury practice to the defense of injury and wrongful death claims against motor carrier transport and crane companies in both State and Federal Court.
Elliot's practice also includes insurance coverage analysis and litigation. He has handled complex insurance coverage claims in both first- and third-party contexts. His insurance coverage litigation practice has included all types of insurance policies with a particular emphasis on life, health and disability. Elliot’s insurance coverage practice includes interpretation and analysis of general liability, personal and commercial auto related coverage claims and professional malpractice; and, he devotes a substantial amount of his insurance practice to the defense of insurance bad faith and punitive damage claims against insurance companies in both State and Federal Court.
Elliot also serves in a number of volunteer activities, including two terms as a Board Member of the Arizona Association of Defense Counsel (co-chairing the Pro Bono Disciplinary Committee), and as a judge for local high school mock trial competitions and law school moot court activities. Elliot has an AV® Preeminent Rating with Martindale Hubbell, and has been named as a Southwest Super Lawyer since 2015. He has also been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America (in Transportation Law) for 2023, by PHOENIX Magazine as a Top Lawyer in Civil Law/Litigation for 2022, and by American Registry as one of America's Most Honored Lawyers - Top 1% since 2020.
Practice areasCivil Litigation: Defense, Personal Injury - General: Defense, Insurance Coverage, Business Litigation, General Litigation
First Admitted: 1993, Arizona
Professional Webpage: http://www.cavanaghlaw.com/attorneys/bio/Wernick-Elliot-H
- University of California, San Diego (B.A.), 1990
- Arizona State Law Journal, Associate Editor, 1992
- Truman Young Prosecutorial Fellowship, Arizona State University, College of Law, 1992
- Participant, International Association of Defense Counsel Trial Academy, 2002
- Board Member, Arizona Association of Defense Counsel, 2005
- Published Cases: Brookover v. Roberts Enterprises, Inc., 215 Ariz. 52, 156 P.3d 1157 (App. 2007), 2007
- Published Case: State of Arizona v. Serna, 176 Ariz. 267, 860 P.2d 1320 (App. 1993), 2003
- Co-Authored the Negligence Chapter in the Arizona Tort Law Handbook, Co-Author, Negligence, Arizona Tort Law Handbook, State Bar Of Arizona, 2012
- Co-Authored the Punitive Damages Chapter in the Arizona Tort Law Handbook, Co-Author, Punitive Damages , Arizona Tort Law Handbook, State Bar Of Arizona, 2012
- Arizona Association Of Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Super Lawyers: 2015 - 2024