William D. Bishop
Top rated Family Law attorney in Phoenix, ArizonaBishop, Del Vecchio & Beeks Law Office, P.C.
Practice Areas: Family Law; view more
Licensed in Arizona since: 1990
William (Bill) Bishop was not only selected as a Super Lawyer, but has achieved many other distinctions and awards throughout his 32 years as an attorney and family law mediator. Mr. Bishop is a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. Mr. Bishop is the past Chair of the State Bar Of Arizona Family Law Section, and previously served as the Chair of the Maricopa County Bar Association Family Law Section. Mr. Bishop is a Certified Family Law Specialist, State Bar of Arizona. During the last four years Mr. Bishop was selected as one of the top 50 attorneys in Arizona in all areas of practice by Super Lawyers. Mr. Bishop achieved an AV rating through Martindale Hubbell, which is the highest rating both with regard to skills as a family law attorney, as well as ethics and professionalism. Mr. Bishop has maintained such top rating since he was first selected approximately 20 years ago. Mr. Bishop has been named on the Martindale Hubbell Registrar of Preeminent Lawyers for many years, and has listed as one of the Best Lawyers In America for many years. He is listed with the American Registry as a “Top 10 Attorney,” and has been listed with “Arizona’s Finest Attorneys” from its inception in 2010 to the present. Mr. Bishop has been the co-chair of the State Bar Convention Family Law Section seminars the last 8 years, and is a regular speaker at continuing legal education programs for other family law attorneys regarding complex property and other issues.
Mr. Bishop provides family law mediation services, and representation for premarital (prenuptial) agreements. Mr. Bishop has extensive trial and mediation experience in all areas of family law, including high conflict divorce, child support, custody (legal decision making), parenting time issues, child support, spousal maintenance, interstate jurisdiction issues (UCCJEA and UIFSA), and complex property and financial issues. Mr. Bishop has prepared numerous pre-marital and post-marital agreements, and provides excellent tips at the firm’s website, www.bishoplawoffice.com , for persons who are contemplating such an agreement. Mr. Bishop's article regarding sole and separate business interests and community claims to increased value is a published law review article. Bishop Law Office accepts clients in the Phoenix metropolitan area and throughout the state.
Mr. Bishop spent his first years in legal practice in the early 1990s handling complex commercial litigation cases. Such experience provided him with the background and knowledge in complex financial issues that many other family law attorneys do not possess. Mr. Bishop has an undergraduate degree in psychology, and does not shy away from contested custody / parenting cases. Mr. Bishop has served as a liaison with the Superior Court Mental Health Committee, which is comprised of psychologists and other experts that are often involved in cases as parenting coordinators or family assessments / custody evaluations. Mr. Bishop often involves such experts in cases which include parental alienation, mental health issues, domestic violence, substance abuse, and other situations.
Known for his exemplary family law and divorce representation, Mr. Bishop receives numerous referrals from other attorneys, both locally and nationally.
Mr. Bishop serves as a member of the Executive Counsel of the State Bar of Arizona Family Law Section, which is comprised of many of the top attorneys throughout the state that present continuing legal education programs to other attorneys, summarize the most recent cases and legislation to assist other attorneys in keeping abreast of recent developments, and work on family law legislation issues. Mr. Bishop has been a speaker at numerous family law seminars for other attorneys throughout the years, including complex financial issues, spousal maintenance, custody / parenting issues, business valuations, and various other issues. Mr. Bishop served as a Judge Pro-Tem for the Superior Court, Family Law Division, for approximately fifteen years.
Bishop, Del Vecchio & Beeks Law Office provides options to its clients regarding representation, including full representation, as well as limited scope or consultation-based representation for clients who desire to represent themselves to a certain degree but need expert advice or assistance from time to time.
Mr. Bishop provides mediation services separately as mediators do not represent either party, and instead focus on the settlement of all issues.
*AV Preeminent and BV Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories: legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasFamily Law
Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Father's Rights, Marital Property, Mediation & Collaborative Law, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements, Same Sex Family Law
- 100% Family Law
First Admitted: 1990, Arizona
Professional Webpage: https://www.bdblawfirm.com/attorneys/william-bishop.html
- Certified Family Law Specialist, Ariz.Board of Legal Specialization - 2001 to present (2022)
- Arizona Women's Fresh Start volunteer attorney - 2010 - 2022 / Programs and Services committee 2020-present
- Major focus in complex divorce cases and mediation. Have represented many high profile clients in high asset cases. Have represented numerous clients in complex property cases, including business valuation, valuation apportionment, waste and asset dissipation cases. 1995-present
- Willamette University, Salem, Oregon, B.S., in Political Science and Psychology, 1984; Arizona State University College of Law, J.D. 1989; Straus Institute For Dispute Resolution (Mediation) 2015
- National Moot Court Team, Arizona State University College of Law
- Arizona's Finest Attorneys 2010 - Present
- North Valley Top Attorneys
- Best Lawyers in America, US News
- Attorney At Law Magazine, Attorney of the Month September 2010
- Order of Barristers for Outstanding Oral Advocacy, Arizona State University College of Law
- Top Attorneys - American Registry, 2014 to present
- AVVO Top Rated 2010 - Present
- All-American and Academic All-American Wrestling Honors, Willamette University in Salem
- AV Rated - Martindale Hubbel Registrar of Preeminent Lawyers - present
- , Best Lawyers In America, US News, 2023
- Arizona, 1990
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers 2017 - present, 2017
- Judge Pro-Tem, Superior Court of Arizona, 2002 - 2017
- Executive Counsel, State Bar of Arizona, Family Law Section 2012 to present. Past Chair of the State Bar of Arizona Family Law Section 2017-2018. Chair Elect 2016. Case Law Committee (prior chair) 2012 - 2017; Co-Chair State Bar Convention / Family Law Section 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018; Newsletter Comittee - Family Law Section 2016 - present., 2012
- I presented on numerous issues including community property profits where separate property businesses, community liens to separate property businesses, and reimbursement claims, Speaker / materials , Community Property Liens and Reimbursement Claims, For Better or For Worse 2022, Family Law Bar, 2022
- Presentation regarding use of model custody standards in Arizona family law cases, Speaker / materials, Utilizing Model Custody Evaluation Standards , For Better or For Worse / AZ AAML presentation, Legal / Family Law, 2023
- I presented on business valuation issues, community and separate property apportionment, divorce law as applied to student loans and equitable division principles, Speaker / Materials, Advanced Issues in Family and Divorce Law, National Business Institute, Family Law Bench, 2017
- I spoke and presented materials at the State Bar Convention regarding when contempt is available as a remedy, merger issues and how such relate to contempt remedies, Speaker / Materials, Contempt and Merger Issues, State Bar Convention , Family Law Bench, 2018
- I spoke and presented materials on updated cases regarding community and separate property claims, Speaker / Materials, Hot Tips, State Bar / AAML For Better or For Worse Seminar, Family Law Bench, 2020
- Spoke and presented materials at the annual Arizona AAML For Better or For Worse. Subject matter addressed community lien issues regarding community contributions to separate property real estate in divorce cases, Speaker / materials, Community Property Real Estate Liens - Beyond Drahos, For Better or For Worse Seminar, Family Law Bench, 2021
- Have presented at numerous seminars through the State Bar of Arizona, Maricopa County Bar Association, and National Business Institute. Speaker at Advanced Family Law seminars for other family law attorneys. Speaker 1995-present. Additional seminars etc. available upon request
- Author of article "A Long And Winding Road - Untangling the Knots In Business Valuation And Apportionment Cases", 2013. Published Summit Law Review
- Top 50 attorneys in Arizona (all practice areas), 2023
- Top 50 Attorneys in Arizona. Showmark and Super Lawyers, 2022
- Contested family law / divorce cases
- divorce and family law mediation; interstate custody and child support issues; mediation all family
- prenuptial and postnuptial agreements
- uncontested family law / divorce cases
Office location for William D. Bishop
7210 North 16th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85020
- Super Lawyers: 2012, 2015 - 2023