David A. Torres
Top Rated Criminal Defense Attorney in Bakersfield, CA
Attorney David A. Torres is the founder and owner of the Law Offices of David A. Torres in Bakersfield, California. Nationally recognized as a leading trial attorney, Mr. Torres focuses his practice primarily on state and federal criminal defense; however, he also handles personal injury claims arising from accidents caused by someone else's negligence or wrongdoing.
Over the course of his nearly 30 years in practice, Mr. Torres has achieved notable success advocating on behalf of the accused. He has tried more than 150 felony cases to verdict, and he has handled numerous plea negotiations and appeals on behalf of his clients in order to help them achieve the favorable outcomes they expect and deserve for their serious situations.
In all cases, Mr. Torres is a steadfast advocate for the rights and interests of those he serves. He has earned a reputation as a formidable opponent in court who aggressively pursues the best possible results for his clients. Recognized for his success, Mr. Torres holds an AV-Preeminent peer review rating* from Martindale-Hubbell, and he has received numerous other accolades from his peers along with many positive reviews and referrals from his satisfied clients.
A 1983 graduate of California State University, Fresno, Mr. Torres attended Gonzaga University, where he was heavily involved with the ROTC and earned a minor in military science. He obtained his Juris Doctor from Gonzaga University School of Law in 1986, and he is admitted to practice before all California U.S. District Courts as well as many other U.S. District Courts throughout the country. He also holds admission to practice before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Along with maintaining a successful legal practice, Mr. Torres served for years with the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve and as a U.S. Army Infantry Officer. He then served with the U.S. Army Reserve Judge Advocate Generals Corps, where he reached the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. Now retired from the military, he still maintains active involvement with veterans' affairs, and he received numerous awards and commendations for his outstanding service.
A leader in his field, Mr. Torres is the former president of the Kern County Bar Association. He also served as trustee for The State Bar of California and as chairman of the Central California Appellate Advocacy Program. Furthermore, he is a member of the California Attorneys for Criminal Justice and the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, among his other professional affiliations.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 70%Criminal Defense
- 20%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 10%Criminal Defense: White Collar
Arrest & Arraignment, Assault & Battery, Criminal Fraud, Criminal Law, Drug & Alcohol Violations, False Accusations, Felony, Murder, Probation, Sex Offenses, Tax Evasion, Theft, Traffic Violations, Criminal Domestic Violence, Animal Bites, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Slip and Fall, Wrongful Death, Construction Accident, Brain Injury, Trucking Accidents, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, White Collar Crime, Criminal Law - Federal
- Super Lawyers: 2012 - 2022
About David A. Torres
First Admitted: 1988, California
Professional Webpage: http://www.lawtorres.com/david-a-torres-attorney-at-law/
- Veteran of the Year for the 32nd State Assembly District
- Army Commendation Medal (two Oak Leaf Clusters)
- Army Achievement Medal and the Parachutist Badge
- Listed as one of the “Top Attorneys in Southern California” by the Los Angeles Magazine
- Meritorious Service Award (3 Oak Leaf Clusters)
- AV Preeminent Rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell
- “Super Lawyer” since 2012
- Pro Bono Service Award, Greater Bakersfield Legal Assistance, 2009
- Distinguished Alumni Merit Award, Gonzaga University, 2013
- Bench and Bar Award, Kern County Bar Association, 2010
- Graduate of the Institute for Criminal Defense Advocacy and the National Criminal Defense College
- California Attorneys for Criminal Justice
- State Bar Trustee, Past President of the Kern County Bar Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- State Bar Liaison to the Criminal Law Committee and Chairman of the Central California Appellate Advocacy Program
- Past President of the Kern County Criminal Defense Section
- United States District Court, Eastern District of California
- United States District, Eastern District of North Carolina
- United States District, Nevada
- United States District, Eastern District of Kentucky
- United States District, District of Washington
- United States District, District of Colorado
- United States District Court of Appeals- 9th Circuit
- United States District Court, Central District of California
- United States District Court, Southern District of California
- United States District Court, Northern District of California
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- California State Bar
- United States Supreme Court
- Elected to serve 3 year term on the California State Bar Board of Trustees 2014-2019 Served on the Committee of Bar Examiners
- Congratulations to my son-in-law, @gar3wal , on completing the Oceanside Ironman competition! @erica.garewal https://t.co/kZ6OW4dxjO
- Cesar Chavez Day, 2022 “To make a great dream come true, the first requirement is a great capacity to dream; the se… https://t.co/oDAv3iXacv
- Zags pull it out after a tough Memphis team scare. #Sweet16 #7thSweet16inarow! https://t.co/bypz48cDvI
- Jack is back!!! Give Jack a call for custom suits, shirts and casual clothing. https://t.co/YDiAlXYGvx
- Just posted a photo https://t.co/pmYZp6Xbh2
Last Updated: 5/15/2022