Top Rated Criminal Defense Attorney in Berkeley, CA
Selected to Rising Stars: 2013 - 2018
Dan Roth aggressively advocates for clients in California courts and universities in criminal defense, school discipline, and civil rights matters. Dan also represents victims and witnesses, who often need their own counsel to navigate the legal system. He currently represents three former Theranos executives, including a former lab director who testified in U.S. v. Holmes in November 2021, and represented five witnesses in U.S. v. FedEx, one of the largest federal grand jury investigations in American history.
Before founding the Law Office of Dan Roth in 2012, Dan worked as an associate with Arguedas, Cassman, Headley & Goldman. He brings to his criminal defense practice prior experience as a litigator and advisor for San Francisco’s indigent through the Bar Association of San Francisco’s Federal Pro Bono Project and Eviction Defense Collaborative; Ohio’s Secretary of State, Attorney General, and Governor; and national non-profit organizations Alliance For Justice and Citizens for Responsibility & Ethics in Washington (CREW).
In 2013 Dan coauthored an article entitled “#Cut50: The Time is Now,” with Van Jones and Jessica Jackson, encouraging fellow California criminal defense attorneys to join efforts to significantly reduce the U.S. prison population, published in the quarterly journal FORUM.
Dan serves on Board of Directors of three community organizations: the American Constitution Society’s Bay Area Lawyer Chapter, which he served as Chair from 2011 – 2014, the Golden Gate Audubon Society, where he chairs the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee, and Live Free USA, an organization dedicated to ending gun violence and mass incarceration. Dan is a founding member of the artist and activist collective Blackout for Human Rights, which produces the annual MLK Now gathering at Harlem’s Riverside Church, and was an associate producer of the documentary The Power of Two.
- 30%Criminal Defense
- 50%Schools & Education
- 20%Criminal Defense: White Collar
Arrest & Arraignment, Assault & Battery, Criminal Fraud, Criminal Law, Drug & Alcohol Violations, Expungement, False Accusations, Felony, Juvenile Delinquency, Misdemeanor, Motor Vehicle Offenses, Probation, Sex Offenses, Tax Evasion, Theft, Traffic Violations, Criminal Domestic Violence, White Collar Crime, Criminal Law - Federal
- Super Lawyers: 2019 - 2022
- Rising Stars: 2013 - 2018
About Dan Roth
First Admitted: 2004, Massachusetts
Professional Webpage: https://www.linkedin.com/in/dan-roth-6356295/
Pro bono/Community Service
- American Constitution Society Bay Area Lawyer Chapter: Diversity & Inclusion Committee Co-Chair (2018-present); Chair (2011-2014); Programming Co-Chair (2010-2011)
- Golden Gate Audubon Society Board of Directors, 2017
- Ella Baker Center for Human Rights (Member)
- Boston College Law School, 2004
- The Ohio State University, B.A., summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, 2001
- Awarded by FedEx for representation of five grand jury witnesses in a massive federal investigation that resulted in all charges being dropped against FedEx during the first week of trial., Bravo Zulu Award, FedEx, 2017
- Outstanding Volunteer in Public Service Award, for assisting clients of the Northern District of California Federal Pro Bono Project, Volunteer Legal Services Program of the Bar Association of San Francisco, 2010
- Outstanding Volunteer in Public Service Award, for assisting clients of the Northern District of California Federal Pro Bono Project and VLSP's Eviction Defense Project, Volunteer Legal Services Program of the Bar Association of San Francisco, 2011
- Board of Governors, California Attorneys for Criminal Justice (CACJ), 2017
- Chair, American Constitution Society Bay Area Lawyer Chapter (Board Member 2010 - Present)
- Biological Sciences
- Small Business
Last Updated: 5/15/2022