Alan Robert Block
Top rated Land Use & Zoning attorney in Beverly Hills, CaliforniaBlock & Block, Incorporated
Practice Areas: Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate, Administrative Law
Licensed in California since: 1972
Education: University of San Diego School of Law
Private Practice of Law Specializing in Real Estate and Land Use with a particular emphasis on properties located along the California coastaline. Extensive specialization with the California Coastal Commission and City of Malibu. Have successfully represented hundreds of applicants before State and Local governmental agencies in land use matters. Former State of California Deputy Attorney General in the Special Operations Division, Public Resources Section. Assistant Lead Attorney, Los Angeles Office. Administration and Supervision. Extensive litigation experience representing California Coastal Commission, California Air Resources Board, California Water Quality Control Board, California Department of Parks and Recreation, California Department of Fish and Game, and California Department of Food and Agriculture. Former member and Chair of the City of Beverly Hills Recreation and Park Commission. Former member and two time Chair and Vice Chair of City of Beverly Hills Planning Commission (2013-2020).
First Admitted: 1972, California
Professional Webpage: https://www.blocklaw.net/alanrobertblock
- United States Supreme Court; State Bar of California; United States Court of Appeal, Ninth Circuit, United States District Court, Central District of California; National Order of Barristers; Los Angeles County Bar Association; Beverly Hills Bar Association; Association of Department of Real Estate Consultants
- 1972 UNIVERSITY OF SAN DIEGO SCHOOL OF LAW: Juris Doctor Degree National Order of Barristers; Honor Court Justice; Appellate Moot Court Board Member; Phi Delta Phi Graduate of the Year 1972; Judge Clerkship; Instructor 1971-72; Legal Writing and Legal Bibliography; Law Review Candidate; American Jurisprudence Award for Legal Writing; St. Thomas Moore Award in Recognition of Appellate Advocacy; Full Tuition Scholarship 1971-72 1969 UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA: Bachelor of Arts Degree; Dean's List
- STATE, LEGISLATIVE, AND COUNTY SPECIAL APPOINTMENTS: City of Beverly Hills Planning Commission, Commissioner 2013; City of Beverly Hills, Recreation and Park Commission, 2007-2012; State of California Senate Select Committee on Small Business Enterprises, Member Advisory Board 1986-1991; County of Los Angeles Beach Advisory Committee 1988-90; Judge Pro Tem; Los Angeles Superior Court; Who's Who In California 1985 AND 1986; MARTINDALE-HUBBELL LAW DIRECTORY 2009 - AV Rating;; Avvo Attorney Legal Rating 10.0.
- PUBLISHED DECISIONS: Clean Air Constituency v. California Air Resources Board, 11 Cal. 3d 861 (1974); Klitgaard & Jones v. San Diego Regional Commission 48 Cal. App. 3d 99 (1975); REA Enterprises v. South Coast Regional Commission 52 Cal. App. 3d 596 (1975); South Coast Regional Commission v. Gordon 18 Cal. 3d 832 (1977); Kennedy v. South Coast Regional Commission 68 Cal. App. 660 (1977); Marina Plaza v. California Coastal Conservation Commission 70 Cal. App. 3d 952(1977); Pillsbury v. South Coast Regional Commission 71 Cal. App. 3d 740 (1977); Grant v. Superior Court of Los Angeles 80 Cal. App. 3d 606 (1978); California Coastal Commission v. Gordon 84 Cal. App. 3d 612 (1978); Trancas Property Owners Association v. City of Malibu 61 Cal. App. 4th 1058 (1998); Trancas Property Owners Association v. City of Malibu 132 Cal. App. 1245 (2005); Trancas Property Owners Association v. City of Malibu 138 Cal. App. 4th 172(2006); Alberstone v. California Coastal Commission 169 Cal App. 4th 859 (2008). UNPUBLISHED DECISIONS: Walker v. Block 2 Civ. 52267 (1979); Andrews v. California Coastal Commission 2 Civ. 65504 (1983); Dawn Investment Co. v. California Coastal Commission 2 Civ. B024163 (1988); Marina International Properties, Inc. v. California Coastal Commission 2 Civ. B025838 (1988); Amir v. City of Beverly Hills 2 Civ. BO 70565 (1993); Preferred Financial Corporation v. City of Malibu 2 Civ. B075044 (1994); Trancas Town, Ltd. v. City of Malibu 2 Civ 083587 (1995); Trancas Property Owners Association v. City of Malibu 2 Civ B142315 (2001); Katnick Corporation v. Avenida Andra, L.P. 2 Civ B151031 (2002).
- Representative public/corporate clients include the City of Santa Monica, County of Los Angeles, County of San Diego, Watt Industries, Wrather Corporation, Grace Co., Goldrich and Kest, Inc., Larwin Construction Company, Real Property Management, Inc., Malibu Bay Company, HLC, Inc., Ring Financial, Inc., Semele Group, REALTEC, Inc., and Preferred Financial Incorporated. Representative individual clients include entertainment, celebrities and business entrepreneurs.
- PUBLICATIONS AND MEMORANDA: Shoreline Beach Erosion, Issues and Solutions, Panel Member, State Bar of California Environmental Section Education Institute (January 2004); Coastal Commission Chapter; Continuing Education of the Bar, Outline: Initiating a Real Property Development; Consultant, Land Use Control Volume, Continuing Education of the Bar Committee":" Jurisdiction of State Weights and Measures Officials over Cities and Counties," 60 Opinions of the Attorney General 361 (SO 77/13 1977); "Qualified Ownership of Falcons," 56 Opinions of the Attorney General 190 (SO 73/20 1973)
- Guest Speaker , The Land Use Process, Loyola Law School, Real Estate, 2012
- Guest Speaker, City of Malibu View Protection Ordinance, Malibu Colony Coldwell Banker Agents Meeting, 2012
- City of Beverly Hills Planning Commission , 2013
- City of BeverlyHills Recreation & Park Commission, 2007
- Bet Tzdek Legal Services
- Super Lawyers: 2012, 2015 - 2024