Jeffrey W. Cowan
Top rated employment litigation attorney in Beverly Hills, CaliforniaThe Cowan Law Firm
Practice Areas: Employment litigation, Business litigation, Civil rights; view more
Licensed in California since: 1992
Jeffrey W. Cowan is a trial lawyer in Los Angeles, California focusing on employment and business litigation. Mr. Cowan has successfully sued not only some of nation's biggest corporations but also Donald Trump's golf club in Los Angeles (in a class action lawsuit involving employees not receiving meal and rest breaks). With respect to employment law, Mr. Cowan represents individual clients, small businesses and large corporations in cases such as sexual harassment, whistleblower claims, workplace discrimination, wrongful termination, and wage and hour disputes. His expertise/experience in business disputes includes cases that involve business fraud, trade secret disputes, unfair competition, noncompetition covenants, commercial lease disputes and other complex business litigation matters.
In 1986, Mr. Cowan graduated cum laude with a Bachelor of Arts in history, economics and literature from Cornell University. He then went on to receive a Juris Doctor from the UCLA School of Law in 1991. Unlike many lawyers, Mr. Cowan has significant experience doing jury trials, as well as trials before judges and arbitrators -- and he continues to build his trial skills not only by doing more trials but also by flying throughout the United States to study with other master trial lawyers.
Mr. Cowan listens to his clients' needs and then he takes a strategic approach to help them achieve their short- and long-term goals. Before founding his own firm, Mr. Cowan spent nine years as a partner and associate at an AV-rated firm in Los Angeles, where he gained valuable experience and also by prosecuting criminal trials through the Los Angeles County Bar Association's Trial Advocacy Program. For his ethics, professionalism and success, Mr. Cowan has received (since 2002) the highest possible rating of AV Preeminent* from Martindale-Hubbell. He also holds an Avvo "Superb" rating.
Beyond the courtroom, Mr. Cowan serves on the board of directors for the Cornell Club of Los Angeles. He also enjoys spending time with his sons and performing as a professional magician.
*AV®, BV®, AV Preeminent® and BV Distinguished® are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer-review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general practice standards.
Practice areasEmployment litigation: plaintiff, Business litigation, Civil rights, Employment & labor: employee, Employment & labor: employer, Employment litigation: defense
Employment discrimination, Wrongful termination, Retaliation, Employment law - employer, Trade secret, Non-compete agreements, Americans with disabilities act, Police misconduct, Race discrimination, Disability, Discrimination, Employment law - employee, Wage & hour laws, Whistleblower, Sexual harassment, Labor law
- 30% Employment litigation: plaintiff
- 40% Business litigation
- 10% Civil rights
- 10% Employment & labor: employee
- 10% Employment & labor: employer
- 0% Employment litigation: defense
First Admitted: 1992, California
Professional Webpage: http://www.cowan-law.com/santamonicalawfirm-attorneys.html
- Member of the Board of Directors, Cornell Club of Los Angeles
- Bet Tzedek Legal Services Volunteer Lawyer, 1997 - 1999
- How to Eat Fire Without Indigestion, Co-author
- Sleight-of-hand-tricks, Author
- "How To Get Paid When The Client Cancels," Genii, The International Conjurors' Magazine, Volume 56, No. 5, March 1993
- Cowan v. Krayzman, 196 Cal. App. 4th 907 (2011), Published Opinion
- Kim V. J. F. Enterprises, 42 Cal. App. 4th 849 (1996), Published Opinion
- Paris Hilton Entertainment
- Academy of Magical Arts, Inc.
- Guardian Pool Fence
- Cornell University, College of Arts and Sciences, B.A., in History, Cum Laude, New York Times Guild Merit Scholarship, 1986
- District of Columbia
- Member, District of Columbia Bar
- Member, Washington Bar
- Member, California Bar
- Moot Court Honors Program, UCLA School of Law, 1991
- Top Grade in Class: Foreign Policy and National Security, UCLA SCHOOL OF LAW
- "AV ® Preeminent" Rating from Martindale-Hubbell. In 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013
- Named a “Southern California Super Lawyer”, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014
- This link shows a news story (and the video from the evening news) that appeared in September 2016 about Jeffrey Cowan's class action lawsuit against Donald Trump's golf club in Los Angeles, and the evidence obtained about how Donald Trump treats his female employees (and wanted to fire them because of their looks or weight)., TV interview about evidence showing Donald Trump's discriminatory treatment of women, 2016
- Testimonial from CEO Bob Vanech, 2012
- testionial by Guardian Pool Fence Systems owner/founder, 2014
Office location for Jeffrey W. Cowan
9301 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90210
- Super Lawyers: 2007 - 2023