B. Paul Husband
Top rated Tax attorney in Burbank, CaliforniaB. Paul Husband, a Professional Corporation
Practice Areas: Tax, Entertainment & Sports, Business Litigation; view more
Licensed in California since: 1977
Education: University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) School of Law
B. Paul Husband, a Professional Corporation101 S First St
Burbank, CA 91502 Visit website
Attorney B. Paul Husband is the founder of Husband Law in North Hollywood, California. Mr. Husband practices entertainment, equine and tax law. His equine law practice is national in scope, and he is one of a select few attorneys who have exceptional knowledge on both the horse business and tax law.
Admitted to practice law since 1977, Mr. Husband spent a great deal of his life raising, showing and racing Arabian horses. He began the equine law aspect of his career in 1980, when he syndicated Khemosabi, an Arabian show and breeding stallion who sired over 1,260 foals. As part of his equine law practice, he litigates various business and tax matters in both state and federal courts. He is a member of the Bar of the U.S. Tax Court.
A skilled professional on horse breeding and syndication, Mr. Husband regularly represents horsemen and has handled numerous cases involving the complex issues and tax implications that often arise in equine law. He was recognized as a judge in the Arabian Division with the American Horse Shows Association for 20 years.
Mr. Husband represents talent and production companies in the animation industry. He has served the International Animated Film Society, ASIFA-Hollywood as its General Counsel since 1998. He also represents drawing artists, writers and publishers in the comic book industry
Along with his legal practice, Mr. Husband has authored articles that have been featured in publications such as the American Bar Association's Entertainment and Sports Lawyer, the Journal of Agricultural TAxzation & Law, American Horse Council Tax Bulletin, California Tax Lawyer and the National Law Journal. He has also spoken on tax law topics for various bar associations and at seminars.
Mr. Husband earned his law degree from the University of California, Los Angeles School of Law. He previously served as an adjunct professor at Pepperdine University School of Law, where he taught entertainment law.
Practice areasTax: Business, Entertainment & Sports, Business Litigation
Entertainment, Sports & Leisure Law, Tax Law
- 60% Tax: Business
- 30% Entertainment & Sports
- 10% Business Litigation
First Admitted: 1977, California
Professional Webpage: http://www.husbandlaw.com/about.html
- This video teasches horse business owners how to respond to challenges under Section 183 of the Internal Revenue Code, the so-called "Hobby Loss" provision to the profit-motivated nature oof their businesses, Fighting Back: Successfully Representing Your Horse Business to the IRS
- Occidental College, B.A., Major: Pre-med Psychology, 1972
- UCLA School of Law, 1977
- The American Horse Council Tax Bulletin, Member of the Board of Advisors and Contributor, 1979
- Graded Stakes Committee of the Arabian Jockey Club, Member
- Member. Planning Committee, National Equine Law Conference, University of Kentucky School of Law, 2007
- General Counsel to ASIFA-Hollywood (Association Internationale du Film d'Animation) the Hollywood branch of the international animated film society, 1996
- Selleck v. Cuenca, et al, 2009
- Duffy v. Commissioner of Internal Revenue Service. Section 183 "hobby loss" case for warmblood breeder. The Commissioner conceded in full, prior to trial, on the date set for trial., 2016
- Barton v. Commissioner, 2009
- Metz v. Commissioner T. C. Memo 2015-54, 2015
- Annuzzi v. Commissioner T.C. Memo 2014-233, 2014
- Beverly Hills Bar Association - gave a seminar concering developments in Worker Classification as independent contractors or employees. Spoke with a labor lawyer and a couple of other tax lawyers. This seminar updated one I gave to the BHBA years before., Speaker, Independent Contractors and Employees, the Saga Continues, Legal, Tax, Trucking, Small Business, 2015
- Tax Planning for Horse Owners & Breeders Co-authored with Richard W. Craigo of the California Bar, University of Kentucky School of Law Continuing Legal Education, Equine, 2008
- At the National Equine Law Conference in Kentucky, under the auspices of the University of Kentucky School of Law, I surveyed the effects of TCJA on the Horse Industry., Speaker , Tax Cuts and Jobs Act and the Horse Industry, Horse, Tax, 2019
- Robert Misey of the Wisconsin Bar and I presented a webinar through CCH entitled Equine Industry - Tax Issues. I handled most of it, including expense treatment, depreciation, capital gain transactions, Section 183 and 469. Rob handled international tax., Co-speaker, Webinar - CCH - Equine Industries - Tax Issues, Tax
- Recognized by Marquis for achievements across my career. , Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award, Marquis Who's who, 2017
- Tax Controversy
Office location for B. Paul Husband
101 S First St
Burbank, CA 91502
- Super Lawyers: 2018 - 2023
These comments were made by fellow attorneys during the annual nomination process.
“Paul is a star in the equine/tax world, both in litigation and in tax court.”