Lei Lei Wang Ekvall
Top Rated Bankruptcy Attorney in Costa Mesa, CA
Selected to Rising Stars: 2004 - 2006
As a partner at Smiley Wang-Ekvall, LLP , Lei Lei Wang Ekvall provides dedicated legal representation to clients throughout Orange County and Los Angeles County, California. She focuses her practice on bankruptcy,* generally handling cases that involve such matters as creditors' rights, business reorganizations and trustee representation.
Ms. Wang Ekvall received a Bachelor of Science in information and computer science from the University of California, Irvine, in 1988. She then went on to earn a Juris Doctor in 1992 from the University of Southern California Gould School of Law .
In her private practice, Ms. Wang Ekvall draws on the valuable experience she gained while completing judicial clerkships with several United States bankruptcy judges . She has dedicated her career to guiding clients through bankruptcy-related business matters. Ms. Wang Ekvall understands the unique challenges that can arise in such cases and the impact that these issues can have on a business's operations. She works closely with her clients, listens to their goals and helps them achieve resolutions that address their short- and long-term needs. In recognition of her commitment to quality representation for her clients, Ms. Wang Ekvall has earned the highest rating possible, AV Preeminent,** from Martindale-Hubbell, and she holds an Avvo "Superb" rating. In addition, she received the 2019 Attorney of the Year Award from the Orange County Women Lawyers Association and was the recipient of the 2015 Honorable Peter M. Elliott Memorial Award from the Orange County Banrkutpcy Forum for her outstanding scholarship, ethics and service to the Orange County bankruptcy community.
Beyond the courtroom, staying active in the legal community is a priority for Ms. Wang Ekvall. She is the vice-chair of the Central District Attorney Discipline Committee, and serves on the board of the Los Angeles Bankruptcy Forum, the Orange County Bar Association Charitable Fund, the Orange County Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, and the Community Legal Aid SoCal. She holds memberships in and has served in varying leadership capacities for a number of organizations, including as president of the Orange County Bankruptcy Forum, president of the Orange County Bar Association, president of the Orange County Asian American Bar Association, and president of Community Legal Aid SoCal. Ms. Wang Ekvall frequently speaks on bankruptcy law-related topics.
*Ms. Wang Ekvall is a debt relief agent. She helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.
** AV Preeminent and BV Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories: legal ability and general ethical standards.
About Lei Lei Wang Ekvall
First Admitted: 1992
Professional Webpage: http://swelawfirm.com/professionals/lei-lei-wang-ekvall/
Pro bono/Community Service
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Orange County Bar Association Charitable Fund
- President of Community Legal Aid SoCal, 2018
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Community Legal Aid SoCal, fka, Legal Aid Society of Orange County, 2016
- Past Chair of the Orange County Bar Association Pro Bono Committee
- Board, Orange County Bar Association
- Member of the Board of Directors - Legal Aid Society of Orange County, 2016
- Leader, Southern California legal community
- President of the Orange County Bar Association Charitable Fund, 2011
- Past President and Director of the Orange County Asian American Bar Association, 2003
- Conference Co-Chair - California Bankruptcy Forum, 2016
- President of the Orange County Bar Association, 2010
- Member of the Central District of California Lawyer Representatives to the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference, 2004
- Member of the Board of Directors - Orange County Bar Association Charitable Fund, 2016
- University of California, Computer Science, 1988
- Bankruptcy for Businesses: The Benefits, Pitfalls and Alternatives by Entrepreneur Media, Inc., and distributed by McGraw‑Hill, Co-author, 2007
- Comparison of Bankrupties, Receiverships, and Assignments for Benefit of Creditors, Panelist, The Rock, Paper & Scissors of ABC's, Bankruptcies & Receiverships, California Receiver's Forum, Southern California Chapter, 2019
- Discussion of bankruptcy issues that may impact a business litigator's case, Speaker, Bankruptcy Fundamentals for Business Litigators, Orange County Bar Association, Business Litigation Section, 2019
- Discussion of the legal and practical implications of a post-judgment receiver, Panelist, The Neutrality of a Post-Judgment Receiver, California Receiver's Forum Loyola VIII, 2020
- In recognition of her outstanding leadership, integrity and contributions to hte bar and community, Attorney of the Year, Orange County Women Lawyers Association, 2019
- Southern California Super Lawyer
- For outstanding scholarship, ethics, and service to the Orange County bankruptcy community, The Honorable Peter M. Elliott Memorial Award, Orange County Bankruptcy Forum, 2015
- 2011 and 2014, Top 5 Bankruptcy Lawyer, O.C. Metro Magazine
- Business Reorganizations
- Creditors Rights
Last Updated: 5/15/2022