Thomas A. Vogele
Top rated business litigation attorney in Costa Mesa, CaliforniaThomas Vogele and Associates, APC
Attorney Thomas A. Vogele is the founder and president of Thomas Vogele & Associates, A.P.C., with offices in Costa Mesa and Salinas, California. A successful businessman before becoming an attorney, Mr. Vogele represents business clients at both the trial and appellate level in State and Federal Courts, from offices in Orange and Monterey Counties, serving clients throughout California. He has litigation and appellate experience in many areas of law including bankruptcy, business and business entities, commercial, contract, and real estate.
In 2018, Mr. Vogele and the firm obtained the #1 fraudulent transfer judgment ($10.2 million) in the State of California, as well as a Top Ten breach of contract judgment. In 2019, Mr. Vogele and the firm obtained the #1 real property judgment ($40 million) in the State of California as well as a Top Twenty jury verdict in the State.
In December 2015, Mr. Vogele and the firm confirmed the last personal Chapter 11 case involving a "cram-down" order, thereby saving the client in excess of $1 million. The following month, the law changed through In re Zachary, applying the absolute priority rules in all Chapter 11 cases, not just business cases.
After earning a bachelor’s degree from Northwestern University and attending the Kellogg School of Management, Mr. Vogele relocated to California. He worked in the banking, consulting and manufacturing industries before earning his law degree from Chapman University Fowler School of Law.
While attending law school, Mr. Vogele participated on the executive and honors boards of the university’s moot court as well as the mock trial board. He gained practical legal experience by serving as an extern to a federal judge.
Admitted to practice law in the California state courts since 2007, Mr. Vogele is licensed to appear before federal courts including the U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Central and Eastern Districts of California. He is also admitted to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, the Federal Circuit in Washington, D.C., as well as the Bankruptcy Appellate Panel for the Ninth Circuit.
Following law school, Mr. Vogele worked for a private law firm before forming Thomas Vogele & Associates, A.P.C. Over the course of his legal career, he has been involved in significant cases that have resulted in substantial verdicts and settlements. He is a member of the Monterey County Bar Association, the Orange County Bar Association, the Los Angeles County Bar Association, the Federal Bar Association of Orange County and the International Trademark Association.
Practice areasBusiness litigation, Appellate, Bankruptcy: business, Civil rights
Appeals, Bankruptcy law, Americans with disabilities act
- 50% Business litigation
- 30% Appellate
- 10% Bankruptcy: business
- 10% Civil rights
First Admitted: 2007, California
Professional Webpage: https://tvalaw.com/our-attorneys
- Sterling Homes Corporation - Sterling is a real estate developer with projects in California and Colorado. Sterling and its owner were sued in Orange County, California and Washoe County, Nevada, by the fifth wife of Sterling's former owner. after twelve years of litigation, involving eighteen separate actions in the trial and appellate courts of two states, Sterling and it's owner prevailed in all matters, ultimately receiving an attorneys' fee award in excess of $1.3 million.
- Member, Moot Court Honors, Chapman University School of Law
- Member, Mock Trial Board, Chapman University School of Law
- Judicial Extern, Hon. Vincent P. Zurzolo, former Chief Judge of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California, Chapman University School of Law
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Delaware District, Pro Hac Vice
- Orange County Bar Association, Member
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- Monterey County Bar Association, Member
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Northern District of California
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Southern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Nevada District Courts, Pro Hac Vice
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- Orange County Federal Bar Association, Member
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Central District of California
- U.S. Bankruptcy Appellate Panel (BAP) for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas, Pro Hac Vice
- California Supreme Court
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Member
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- International Trademark Association, Member
- Northwestern University/Kellogg Graduate School of Management, 1977
- Obtained the largest business fraud judgment in California ($10.8 million) in favor of minority owner of online wholesale business. In the same case, TVA obtained a Top Ten breach of contract judgment in favor of the client., 2018
- TVA obtained the largest real property judgment in the State of California ($40 million) against two large oil and gas pipeline operators, for trespassing on the client's property and preventing the development of the property. The jury awarded the client $33 million against one defendant (Shell Pipeline) and $7 million against another (Alon USA) in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California., 2019
- TVA obtained defense verdict for majority owner and CEO of private company sued by minority shareholder in $26 million fraud/breach of fiduciary duty claim. TVA also obtained seven-figure attorneys' fees award against minority shareholder., 2017
- In a first ever ruling of its kind, TVA obtained an order in large Chapter 7 Bankrtuptcy case that invalidated a QPRT (Qualified Personal Residence Trust) settled by debtor to defraud his creditors, sending shock waves through Asset Protection industry. Order was upheld by Bankruptcy Appellate Panel and bayfront house held in trust was sold for benefit of creditors of former S&L owner., 2015
- Inter-family business dispute; TVA represented company's founder in breach of fiduciary duty and fraud action; TVA obtained a settlement valued at $18 million in property and cash, 2013
- TVA obtained reversal of judgment of dismissal and attorneys' fee award against its client. On appeal, the Court of Appeal reversed and ordered judgment be entered for TVA's client, a 79 year old teacher, but also awarded her attorneys' fees., 2016
- TVA represented real estate developer in action against international oil company for breach of contract, fraud and disgorgement/trespass claims. On eve of arbitration before three-judge panel, international oil company settled with TVA client for what is believed to be one of, if not the largest award in trespass disgorgement action in history. , 2016
- TVA obtained reversal of $5.1 million judgment entered against maker of negotiable promsisory note in Court of Appeal based on plaintiff's failure to prove entitlement to enforce under UCC 3309., 2017
- TVA obtained $2.3 million judgment and attorneys' fee award in arbitration against real estate developer/promoter of project that failed in 2009. TVA's clients invested $700,000 in exchange for promise of two-year repayment plus 32% preferred return guaranteed by promotor. Developer/promtor was represented by one of OC's largest law firms., 2017
Office location for Thomas A. Vogele
129 W Wilson St
Costa Mesa, CA 92627
- Rising Stars: 2017