Christopher D. Carico
Top Rated Estate & Trust Litigation Attorney in El Segundo, CA
As a partner with the Carico Macdonald Kil & Benz LLP law firm in El Segundo, California, attorney Christopher D. Carico brings more than 33 years of experience to help a diverse range of clients in the South Bay area and throughout Los Angeles County with their legal needs involving the following practice areas:
· Trust and estates litigation and dispute resolution
· Estate planning
· Trust and probate administration
· Conservatorships and guardianships
· Financial elder abuse litigation
Certified as a specialist in estate planning, trust and probate law by The State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization, Mr. Carico handles all aspects of trust and estate planning and administration. Through his practice, he provides advanced estate planning solutions, and represents both beneficiaries and fiduciaries in resolving estate-related contests and disputes. He devises effective estate planning solutions that hold up under the scrutiny of legal challenges.
After receiving his Bachelor of Arts in economics from Occidental College, Mr. Carico obtained his Juris Doctor, cum laude, from Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, in 1997 and was inducted into the Order of the Coif. The State Bar of California admitted him to practice in 1998.
Sought for his unmatched knowledge in estate law, Mr. Carico routinely offers his opinions and recommendations before the probate court on a variety of legal actions related to trust reformation, fiduciary matters and other related issues. He also volunteers his services for various court-sponsored mediation programs to help parties resolve their issues in the most effective ways possible.
In recognition of his service and his dedication to his practice, Mr. Carico has received many honors and awards throughout his career, including an AV Preeminent peer review rating* from Martindale-Hubbell. He is also listed by The Best Lawyers in America in Trusts and Estates continuously since 2009.
A talented speaker, Mr. Carico has presented on a range of estate planning topics at several conferences and seminars across California. Furthermore, he has written valuable articles for many journals.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 70%Estate & Trust Litigation
- 30%Estate Planning & Probate
Will Contests, Estate Planning, Probate & Estate Administration, Trusts, Wills
- Super Lawyers: 2009 - 2023
About Christopher D. Carico
First Admitted: 1988, California
Professional Webpage: https://www.caricofirm.com/professionals/christopher-d-caric...
- The Initial Client/Family Interview: Detecting Potential Abuse and Undue Influence Before it Happens, California Lawyers Association, Second Annual Financial Elder Abuse Symposium, Los Angeles, California, March 29, 2019.
- Satisfying the UPIA through Professional Investment Advice and the Creation of the Investment Policy Statement, California Trusts & Estates Quarterly, Issue 4, Volume 13, 2008
- CPA as Client Trustee: Is the Compensation Worth the Liability? WebCPA,July 28, 2009
- Escaping the LPS Revolving Door, California Trusts & Estates Quarterly, Issue 1, Volume 16, 2010
- Use of Psychotropic Medicines in Probate Conservatorships, Los Angeles County Bar Association, Aviva K. Bobb Advanced Probate Volunteer Panel Attorney Training Symposium, October 22, 2011
- Trust Your Dog: Estate Planning for Pets in California, Los Angeles Daily Journal, August 8, 2012
- Bringing Beneficiaries to the Mediation Table: Drafting Enforceable Trust Provisions Requiring Mediation of Disputes During Post-Death Trust Administration, California Trusts & Estates Quarterly, Issue 2, Volume 20, 2014
- Partnering with Estate Planning Counsel, Merrill Lynch, Wealth Structuring Institute, May 13, 2014, Omni Hotel, Los Angeles
- Pre and Post Sale Planning for You, Your Company and Your Family, Conference for Business Owners: M&A Solutions for Privately Held Companies, sponsored by Bank of America/Merrill Lynch/U.S. Trust, April 29, 2015, Montage Hotel, Beverly Hills
- Understanding the Remedies Available for Financial Elder Abuse, California State Bar, 88th Annual Meeting, October 8-11, Anaheim California
- Understanding the Remedies Available for Financial Elder Abuse, California State Bar, Thirty-Ninth Annual Fall Program, November 20, 2015
- Fiduciaries (And Others) Beware – An Over-Reaching Release May be Voidable, California Trusts & Estates Quarterly, Issue 4, Volume 21, 2015
- Estate Planning Tips to Avoid Financial Elder Abuse, Financial Elder Abuse Symposium, California Lawyers Association, April 20, 2018, Indian Wells, California
- Fiduciaries (And Others) Beware, An Over-Reaching Release May be Voidable, California Trusts & Estates Quarterly, Issue 4, Volume 21, 2015
- Statutory Deadlines Probate Litigation 101: The Nuts and Bolts, Part I, Online Webinar Series Pincus Professional Education, November 10, 2020.
- Removal of Fiduciaries and Accounting Litigation, Probate Litigation 101: The Nuts and Bolts, Part II, Online Webinar Series Pincus Professional Education, November 12, 2020.
- Probate Court’s Power to Help Sufferers of Mental Illness: Should Antipsychotic Medication Still be Taboo, Probate Attorneys of Pasadena Annual Symposium, December 4, 2020.
- Assessing Cognitive Capacity of Clients & Potential Clients, The Folstein Mini_Mental State Exam: Just How Useful is it for Assessing Capacity, California Trusts & Estates Quarterly, Issue 1, Volume 24, 2018
- Best Lawyers in America®, Trusts & Estates 2010-2022, U.S. News/Best Lawyers
- Southern California Super Lawyers® Top 100 Southern California Lawyers, 2021-2022
- Best Lawyers in America®, Litigation – Trusts & Estates, 2011-2022, U.S. News/Best Lawyers
- Southern California Super Lawyers®, Estate & Trust Litigation, 2009-2022
- Los Angeles County Bar Association Trial Advocacy Project, Graduate Volunteer Prosecutor: 2003, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Order of the Coif, Loyola Law School in Los Angeles
- Martindale Hubbell Rating, AV, 1998-2022
- Southern California Super Lawyers, Estate Planning & Probate, 2009-2022, Super Lawyers
- California State Bar, Board of Legal Specialization, certified specialist in Estate Planning, Trust & Probate Law, 1994-2022
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, 2012 - 2020
- South Bay Bar Association, 2005 - 2020
- Member, Trusts and Estates Executive Committee, California State Bar, 2014 - 2020
Pro bono/Community Service
- Panel Member, Los Angeles County Superior Court Probate Settlement Officer Panel
- Occidental College, B.A. in Economics, 1983
- Estate Planning
- Trust & Estate Litigation
- Trust & Probate Administration
Last Updated: 6/23/2022