Glenn L. Block
Top Rated Eminent Domain Attorney in Glendale, CA
Selected to Rising Stars: 2011
- Free Consultation
An eminent domain litigator, Glenn Block is managing partner of California Eminent Domain Law Group at the firm’s main office in Glendale, California. Glenn successfully represents property and business owners throughout California, obtaining maximum compensation and damages from the government in both direct condemnation and inverse condemnation matters. Glenn also represents government agencies acquiring property for public use.
From early negotiations, in response to the Government’s initial offer, throughout litigation and ultimately jury trial, Glenn counsels clients through the complex eminent domain process including:
- Early project planning and site selection;
- Pre-condemnation investigations (hazardous substances, environmental, geotechnical, etc.);
- Initial appraisal inspections;
- Government’s initial offer (Cal. Govt. Code 7267.2, et seq.);
- Resolution of Necessity hearings (Cal. Code Civ. Proc. 1245.235, et seq.);
- Government’s efforts to obtain prejudgment possession of the property at the outset of the case (Cal. Code Civ. Proc. 1255.410); and,
- Maximizing our client’s recovery of compensation and damages – including fair market value, severance and other damages for partial acquisitions and construction impacts, loss of business goodwill, and relocation benefits.
Repeatedly recognized by Southern California SuperLawyers® and awarded Martindale-Hubbell’s Client Distinction Award, for more than 20 years Glenn successfully represents clients in eminent domain cases against Caltrans, Metro, California High Speed Rail Authority, Santa Clara Valley Transit Authority, Southern California Edison, as well as many other cities, counties and government agencies.
Glenn recently represented the owner of an older industrial manufacturing facility and negotiated a nearly $10 million increase over the government’s initial offer for real property compensation prior to the initiation of eminent domain proceedings (recovering $14 million after the State’s initial $4.76 million offer). Moreover, Glenn delayed the government from taking possession and displacing the business for more than a year and a half, enabling the business to successfully relocate without any disruption to the ongoing operations – also recovering about $10 million for eligible relocation benefit claims relating to the business’s move into a new modern facility.
Mr. Block has published articles on condemnation, and is also a co-author of “The California Eminent Domain Handbook” a comprehensive and easy to read guide to the applicable laws and procedures. Glenn is also asked to speak on a variety of eminent domain related topics for various professional and industry organizations, including the International Right of Way Association (IRWA), Los Angeles County Bar Association (LACBA), and CLE International. Most recently Glenn spoke at CLE International’s 21st Annual (2019) Eminent Domain Conference – “Eminent Domain – Focus on California.” Active in numerous professional associations, Glenn served as the Chair of the Land Use, Planning and Environmental Law Subsection of the Los Angeles County Bar Association and is also a member of the Valley Industry & Commerce Association (VICA).
Beyond the legal profession, Glenn devotes significant time and energy to several local civic organizations. In 2016, Glenn was elected to the Board of the Neighborhood Council of Valley Village (NCVV), and presently serves as Chair of its Community Plan Update Committee (related to the City of Los Angeles Planning Department’s update of the 1996 North Hollywood-Valley Village Community Plan). Glenn also serves on the Board of the Valley Village Homeowners Association, and is a member of the Board of Trustees of Temple Beth Hillel. An avid baseball fan, Glenn coached his daughter’s softball teams (City of Los Angeles Parks & Recreation) and coaches his son’s baseball teams (Toluca Baseball).
Glenn attended San Francisco State University, earning a Bachelor of Science (Accounting), and then pursued his legal education, obtaining his Juris Doctor (J.D.) at Brooklyn Law School. Glenn joined California Eminent Domain Law Group in March 2005, after being an eminent domain partner at Sullivan, Workman & Dee in Los Angeles, and starting his career with Goldstein, Goldstein & Rikon in New York. Glenn is admitted to practice law in both California and New York.
About Glenn L. Block
First Admitted: 1997, New York
Professional Webpage: http://eminentdomainlaw.net/aboutgb/
- San Francisco State University, Major: Accounting
- Client Distinction Award, Martindale-Hubbell
- Southern California Super Lawyers, 2020
- Successfully negotiated settlement of property owner's claims for severance damages resulting from the taking of portions of an Almond Orchard agricultural property for $580,000 (Government appraised $0 damages)., 2019
- Successfully negotiated settlement of industrial business owner's loss of goodwill claim resulting from taking of former location and displacement to relocation site for $1.3 million., 2019
- Successfully negotiated settlement of property owner's claims for just compensation for the taking of an industrial manufacturing facility for $14 million (initial offer of $4,762,000)., 2018
- Successfully negotiated settlement of property owner's claims for just compensation for the taking of an agricultural processing facility for $13 million (initial offer of $2,650,000)., 2016
- Successfully negotiated settlement of property owner's claims for just compensation and damages for taking of portion of undeveloped land for $580,000 (initial offer of $52,400). , 2017
- Successfully negotiated settlement of property owner's just compensation claims for acquisition of undeveloped land for $3,800,000 (government's initial offer was $1,590,000)., 2014
- Successfully negotiated settlement of owner's claims for just compensation for the taking of an industrial manufacturing facility for $14 million (initial offer was $4,762,000). , 2016
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Land Use, Planning and Environmental Subsection, Member since 2010; Chair in 2018., 2020
- International Right of Way (IRWA) Member, as well as speaker at various programs and events; Member since 2005., 2020
- Member, New York State Bar Association; Member since 1996., 2020
- Member, California State Bar; member since 2000., 2020
Pro bono/Community Service
- Chair of Planning and Land Use Committee (2020); Chair of Community Plan Update Committee of Neighborhood Council of Valley Village (2018-2020); elected Board member (since 2016), 2020
- Temple Beth Hillel, Board of Trustees; since 2018, 2020
- Valley Village Homeowners Association, Elected Board Member; since 2019, 2020
- Gas Stations
- Real Estate
Last Updated: 5/15/2022