Craig S. Simon
Top rated Insurance Coverage attorney in Irvine, CaliforniaBerger Kahn, A Law Corporation
Practice Areas: Insurance Coverage, General Litigation, Business Litigation
Licensed in California since: 1977
Education: Loyola Law School Los Angeles
Berger Kahn, A Law Corporation1 Park Plaza, Suite 340
Irvine, CA 92614 Phone: 949-300-7628 Email: Craig S. Simon Visit website
Craig S. Simon is the Managing Partner at Berger Kahn. With broad trial experience representing insurers, financial companies, and business owners, Craig proudly serves as National Subrogation Counsel to a top nationwide insurer, helping to oversee recovery challenges across the country. Accomplished at handling large subrogation cases against major manufacturers and regulated utilities in mass tort events, Craig consults with businesses, insurers and financial companies on improving processes to avoid litigation.
Earning a strong track record of success in resolving the most difficult cases, Craig has acted as lead trial attorney in dozens of cases before federal and state court juries and in arbitrations across the country. He is accustomed to handling matters of exceptional complexity, including nationwide class actions and multidistrict litigation.
Particularly accomplished in defending companies in litigation involving punitive damages, Craig honed his talent through years of dedication to this specific area of practice. Working closely with clients, jury consultants, and graphic designers, and employing mock trials and focus groups, Craig strategically develops powerful and persuasive litigation themes that resonate with juries.
Craig is licensed in both California and Texas, two of the most wildfire-prone areas, contributing to his broad experience, success, and unique qualifications as an esteemed subrogrator, litigator, and attorney.
Craig enjoys litigating cases, especially those that are complicated or involve novel theories, whether the underlying matter is a business dispute or one involving insurance.
In 2021, Craig was awarded the prestigious California Lawyer of the Year Award for his work as Co-Lead Counsel for the subrogation plaintiffs in the Woolsey Fire $2.2 billion settlement. In addition, the Daily Journal named Craig among the “Top 100″ Attorneys in California for helping to achieve a $950 million settlement involving California wildfire-related cases on behalf of homeowner insurance carriers. Named to the list of Best Lawyers for 2015-present for his demonstration of excellence in his practice of law, Craig is also recognized to the list of Southern California Super Lawyers, with frequent recognition to the “Top 50 Orange County,” and “Top 100 Southern California” Super Lawyers lists.
Craig began his career consulting with insurance companies. His experience includes:
•Assisting insurers in the adoption and implementation of procedures for the handling of claims, including the drafting of claims manuals, guidelines and policies.
•Representing carriers in first-party claims In the area of property insurance. He has distinguished himself in fire and arson claims and litigation arising from such claims.
•Representing numerous insurers in the area of insurance coverage in difficult duty-to-defend litigation, which presents unique “case-within-a-case” evidence issues.
•Defending against the global attacks being made on the industry in the area of life and annuity sales. Craig has defended both individual and class actions.
•Serving as a consultant and expert witness in disputed insurance matters for both the plaintiff and defense Bar.
Craig is a frequent lecturer before industry-specific audiences, including Charter Property Casualty Underwriters, International Association of Special Investigative Units, the Insurance Committee for Arson Control, the International Association of Arson Investigators, and Public Risk Management Association. Craig also lectures before lawyer groups on trial tactics in cases involving punitive damages. He is actively involved in issues concerning law practice management and lectures on ways to improve client relations.
Craig joined Berger Kahn as a law clerk in 1975, became a principal in 1981, and in 1984 opened the firm’s Orange County office. He is the rare attorney who has served with steadfast loyalty to one firm his entire legal career and he possesses the institutional knowledge that accompanies his five decades leading Berger Kahn.
He and his wife live in Irvine, California.
First Admitted: 1977, California
Professional Webpage: http://bergerkahn.com/our-people/craig-s-simon/
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated, AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated – Martindale-Hubbell, Martindale-Hubbell
- Berger Kahn attorneys were listed for the many practice areas where they demonstrate excellence in their practice of the law, including: Managing Partner Craig Simon Recognized for his eighth consecutive year in: Insurance Law and Commercial Litigation Shareholder Sherman Spitz Recognized for his seventh consecutive year in: Litigation – Insurance and Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs Shareholder Stephan Cohn Recognized for his seventh consecutive year in: Insurance Law and Litigation -Insurance Shareholder David Ezra Recognized for his eighth consecutive year in: Commercial Litigation, Insurance Law, and Litigation – Insurance Partner Roberta Winston Recognized for her first year with Best Lawyers in: Litigation – Insurance Berger Kahn congratulates all of those named to the list for their recognition and thanks to our shareholders and partners for bringing this honor to the firm., Best Lawyers, Best Lawyers in America, 2023
- Best Lawyers 2022 | Commercial Litigation and Insurance Law, Best Lawyers, Best Lawyers in America, 2022
- Berger Kahn Managing Partner Craig Simon is the 2021 recipient of the prestigious California Lawyer Attorney of the Year award from the Los Angeles Daily Journal for his work as Co-Lead Counsel for the subrogation plaintiffs in the Woolsey $2.2 billion settlement. http://bergerkahn.com/california-lawyer-attorney-of-the-year-awards-berger-kahn-managing-partner-craig-simon/, California Lawyer Attorney of the Year, Daily Journal, 2021
- Best Lawyers 2021 | Commercial Litigation, and Insurance Law, Best Lawyers, Best Lawyers in America, 2021
- Best Lawyers 2020 | Commercial Litigation, and Insurance Law, Best Lawyers, Best Lawyers in America, 2020
- Managing Partner Craig Simon was listed to the Top 50 Attorneys in Orange County and was featured in the February edition of the Los Angeles Magazine., Top 50 Attorneys in Orange County, Los Angeles Magazine, 2019
- Top Attorneys in Southern California 2019, Top Attorneys in Southern California, Los Angeles Magazine, 2019
- 2019 Southern California Super Lawyers, 2019 Southern California Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers, 2019
- Best Lawyers 2019 – Insurance Law, Best Lawyers, Best Lawyers in America, 2019
- Best Lawyers 2018 – Insurance Law, Best Lawyers, Best Lawyers in America, 2018
- Top 50 Orange County Southern California Super Lawyers 2018, Top 50 Orange County Southern California Super Lawyers 2018, Super Lawyers, 2018
- Best Lawyers 2017 – Insurance Law, Best Lawyers, Best Lawyers in America, 2017
- For their excellence in the practice of law and their Martindale AV listing, Berger Kahn attorneys are included ALM’s “Top Rated Lawyers,” an honor reserved for only the top 5% of the Bar. The National Law Journal, The American Lawyer and Corporate Counsel celebrate our attorneys’ accomplishments in: Insurance Law:In the 2016 list of “Top Rated Lawyers – Insurance” Managing Partner Craig Simon, Shareholder Dave Ezra, and Partners Roberta Winston, and Dale Amato are selected. Personal Injury Law:In the 2016 list of “Top Rated Lawyers – Personal Injury” Shareholder Sherman Spitz is selected. Berger Kahn congratulates all of our attorneys on their honor., Legal Leaders Top Rated Lawyers – Insurance, 2016, Legal Leaders, 2016
- Best Lawyers 2016 - Insurance Law, Best Lawyers, Best Lawyers in America, 2016
- Best Lawyers 2015 - Insurance Law, Best Lawyers, Best Lawyers in America, 2015
- Top 100 Attorneys in California for 2010 by the Daily Journal, Top 100 Attorneys in California for 2010, Daily Journal, 2010
- Craig is licensed in both California and Texas to practice law.
- Member, National Association of Subrogation Professionals
- Member, Orange County Bar Association
- B.A., University of California, Los Angeles, cum laude, 1974
- J.D., Loyola Law School, 1977
- Part of a team of lawyers recognized for helping to achieve a $950 million settlement involving California wildfire-related cases on behalf of homeowner insurance carriers.
- Super Lawyers: 2009 - 2023
Top ListsTop 50: Orange County Super Lawyers: 2010 - 2023
- Top 50: 2023 Orange County Super Lawyers
- Top 50: 2022 Orange County Super Lawyers
- Top 50: 2021 Orange County Super Lawyers
- Top 50: 2020 Orange County Super Lawyers
- Top 50: 2019 Orange County Super Lawyers
- Top 50: 2018 Orange County Super Lawyers
- Top 50: 2017 Orange County Super Lawyers
- Top 50: 2016 Orange County Super Lawyers
- Top 50: 2015 Orange County Super Lawyers
- Top 50: 2014 Orange County Super Lawyers
- Top 50: 2013 Orange County Super Lawyers
- Top 50: 2012 Orange County Super Lawyers
- Top 50: 2011 Orange County Super Lawyers
- Top 50: 2010 Orange County Super Lawyers