David T. Bartels
Top rated Securities Litigation attorney in Irvine, CaliforniaLawrence Bartels LLP
As a senior partner at Lawrence Bartels LLP, David T. Bartels focuses his practice on complex business litigation and transactions. His firm is located in Irvine, California, and he provides astute representation to companies and individuals throughout the state. Mr. Bartels has been admitted to practice in California since 2000, and he is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Courts for the Central, Southern, Eastern and Northern Districts of California, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit.
Mr. Bartels has an extensive background in securities law, and he devotes a large portion of his practice to related litigation. In addition to his courtroom work in that regard, he has appeared in proceedings before the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority. Mr. Bartels’s securities-related work has additionally encompassed internal investigations conducted by clients in a variety of business sectors, including health care, transportation and finance.
Other business litigation cases that Mr. Bartels has worked on have involved intellectual property infringement, and he has represented companies that are facing discrimination and other types of employment law claims, shareholder class actions and disputes arising out of mergers and acquisitions. Mr. Bartels has business transactional experience as well.
Mr. Bartels majored in political science at California State University, Long Beach, and he graduated in 1994 with a Bachelor of Arts. He then attended the University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, where he served on the McGeorge Law Review before being awarded his Juris Doctor with great distinction and being inducted into the Order of the Coif in 2000. His previous experience includes having served as a senior attorney with the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation and as a senior associate at a global law firm that was based in the District of Columbia.
Practice areasSecurities Litigation, Business Litigation, Business/Corporate, Mergers & Acquisitions
Business Formation and Planning, Business Organizations, Contracts, Limited Liability Companies, Non-Compete Agreements, Partnership, Sub-chapter S Corporations, Trade Secret
- 40% Securities Litigation
- 40% Business Litigation
- 10% Business/Corporate
- 10% Mergers & Acquisitions
First Admitted: 2000, California
Professional Webpage: https://www.lawrencebartels.com/attorney/bartels-david-t/
- As senior attorney with FDIC's Professional Liability and Financial Crimes Section, supervised the investigation litigation of potential claims against former directors, officers, accountants, attorneys, brokers, appraisers, insurance companies, and other third party professionals arising from 12 failed banks with over $19.4 billion in assets.
- Successfully defended antitrust investigation by DOJ and Dept. of Agriculture.
- Successfully defeated shareholder derivative action on summary judgement, including subsequent appeal (S&A Biotech Investments LLC vs. Thomas Baruch).
- Obtained dismissal of outside directors in shareholder class action, including defending dismissal on appeal before Ninth Circuit (In re: Splash Tech, Holdings Sec. litigation).
- Managed internal investigation on behalf of board special committee in midst of parallel SEC and DOJ investigations, resulting in no fines or charges for company.
- Successfully defended Sunwest Bank and its board of directors in Wood vs. Sunwest Bank in securities class action seeking more than $24 million in damages (bench trial).
- Successfully defended officers and directors in SEC investigation (multiple/confidential).
- Federal Bar Association
- Orange County Bar Association
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- California Bar
- David Bartels advises corporate directors and defends individuals, companies, underwriters, financial institutions, and accounting firms in shareholder class action and derivative lawsuits, merger and acquisition disputes, and in proceedings before the Department of Justice; the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC); the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
- California State University at Long Beach, B.A. in Political Science, 1994
- Outstanding Scholastic Achievement Award, McGeorge Law School, 2000
- Food Service
- Wall Street
Office location for David T. Bartels
7700 Irvine Center Dr
Irvine, CA 92618
- Super Lawyers: 2022 - 2024