Michelle A. Philo
Top rated Estate Planning & Probate attorney in Irvine, CaliforniaPhilo Law Firm, P.C.
The founder of the Philo Law Firm, P.C., Michelle A. Philo has a practice that encompasses estate planning, trust and probate administration, and business counseling and transactions. With offices in Irvine and San Diego, she represents individuals and companies throughout the southern part of California. Admitted to practice in California since 2012, Ms. Philo is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Central and Northern Districts of California and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit.
Ms. Philo regularly prepares and reviews wills, all types of revocable trusts, financial and health care powers of attorney, and advance medical directives for her clients who need her estate planning services. She has also represented executors and trustees during the estate administration stage, and she guides heirs and beneficiaries through what can often be a complicated and lengthy probate process.
Held in high regard by her fellow members of the bar, Ms. Philo has received a 10.0 “Superb” peer review rating through Avvo along with other honors. She is a 2012 graduate of Whittier Law School and the immediate past president of the Orange County Women Lawyers Association. She has also served in leadership roles with her alumni associations, Chapman University and Whittier Law School Alumni Association.
Practice areasEstate Planning & Probate, Business/Corporate
Business Formation and Planning, Business Organizations, Estate Planning, Probate & Estate Administration, Trusts
First Admitted: 2012, California
Professional Webpage: https://www.philolaw.com/about/
- Super Lawyers "Rising Star", 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015
- , Excellence in Service Award, California Lawyers Association Solo Small Firm Section, 2020
- The award acknowledges achievements during and since a student's time at Aquinas High School., The Mike Riddell Distinguished Alumni Award, Aquinas High School, 2020
- The Annual On the Rise - Top 40 Young Lawyers provides national recognition for ABA young lawyers members who exemplify a broad range of high achievement, innovation, vision, leadership, and legal and community service. , On the Rise - Top 40 Young Lawyers, American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, 2016
- Michelle was recognized by the Whittier Law School community for her ongoing commitment to the law school and its alumni community, Dean's Alumni Award, Whittier Law School Alumni Association, 2017
- Orange County Wine Society President’s Award, 2014, 2014
- The Everyday Hero Award recognizes an OCWLA member for outstanding achievements in the day to day practice of law., Everyday Hero Award, Orange County Women Lawyers Association, 2013
- Whittier Law School Dean’s Citation Award, 2012, 2012
- American Bar Association Law Student Division Silver Key Award, 2012, 2011 , 2012
- American Bar Association Law Student Division Gold Key Award, 2012, 2012
- State Bar of California, 2012
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2012
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 2017
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 2015
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 2012
- Orange County Women Lawyers Association - Immediate Past President (2021), President (2020), President (2019), President-Elect (2018), Vice President (2017), Treasurer (2016), Secretary (2015), Board of Directors (2014): As an officer of OCWLA, Michelle works to advocate for the advancement of women in the legal profession. In addition, she works on the Annual Gala Committee and the Social Media Committee. Michelle has been involved with OCWLA since she was a law student.
- Orange County Lawyers Magazine, Editorial Advisory Committee, 2021 - Chair, 2017 - Present
- Chapman University Alumni Association - 2020-2021 - Vice President of Strategy & Operations; 2019-2020 - Vice President of Development; 2018 - Present
- State Bar of California - Delegate to the ABA House of Delegates: The Board of Trustees of the State Bar of California appointed Michelle to serve as a State Bar delegate to the American Bar Association’s (ABA) House of Delegates. The House of Delegates is the policy-making body of the ABA and meets twice a year, at the ABA Mid-Year and ABA Annual Meeting. The State Bar's delegates are part of the California delegation, headed by the elected State Delegate. Michelle is serving her third term for the State Bar of California.
- Whittier Law School Alumni Association - Treasurer (2018-2020), President (2018-2019), Chair (2016-2018), President (2014-2016), Secretary (2013-2014): The National Chapter of the Whittier Law School Alumni Association serves the alumni of Whittier Law School and serves as a liaison to the law school. Michelle also chairs the Social Media Committee, leading a team in the launch of the WLS Alumni Association social media presence across several social media platforms.
- California Women Lawyers Board of Directors - Gender Equity Task Force Chair (2017-2018) - Michelle served as an Affiliate Governor on CWL's board of directors. Under her leadership, the Gender Equity Task Force developed a Speakers Bureau that serves as a resource to identify and provide additional female speakers for panels, speaking and authorship opportunities, and media opportunities.
- Orange County Bar Association Young Lawyers Division - Chair (2016), Chair-Elect (2015), Social Committee Chair (2014): The Young Lawyers Division is for attorneys in their first five years of practice. The Division plans events aimed at young lawyer involvement in the legal community, including educational seminars, social gatherings, community outreach service, and fitness and health activities. Under Michelle's leadership, Michelle created a YLD committee committed to diversity and inclusion in the profession.
- American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division Liaison to Section of Individual Rights & Responsibilities, 2014 - 2016
- American Bar Association Commission on Women on the Profession, Social Media Co-Chair, 2014 - 2016
- Chapman University, Bachelor of Arts, Legal Studies, Honors: Presidential Scholar
Office location for Michelle A. Philo
PO Box 16721
Irvine, CA 92623
- Rising Stars: 2015 - 2022