Alan H. Barbanel
Top Rated Insurance Coverage Attorney in Los Angeles, CA
Attorney Alan H. Barbanel is a founding partner of the Barbanel & Treuer, P.C., law firm in Los Angeles, California. Representing the rights and interest of reinsurers and commercial insurance providers throughout the greater Los Angeles metro area and around the world, Mr. Barbanel focuses his practice primarily on bad faith and other insurance issues.
Over the course of his more than 36 years in practice, Mr. Barbanel has handled a multitude of first- and third-party coverage dispute cases involving a host of issues, including professional liability, general commercial liability, employment practices liability, directors and officers liability, and specialty liability areas, such as products liability and contingent liability matters. In addition to delivering quality defense counsel, Mr. Barbanel also provides comprehensive training services for his clients along with assisting them in drafting their policies.
A leader in his field, Mr. Barbanel conducts lectures across his region on a variety of topics related to insurance coverage and bad faith issues, and he routinely provides in-depth testimony in cases involving attorney malpractice and insurance coverage disputes. Along with maintaining a successful litigation and consultation practice, Mr. Barbanel also serves as claims administrator for the Lloyd's of London (an insurance market), where he deals with professional liability programs for a diverse range of professionals, including lawyers, insurance and real estate agents and brokers, engineers, architects, and others.
After graduating magna cum laude from Northeastern University in 1978, Mr. Barbanel attended the University of San Diego School of Law, where he served as lead articles editor for the San Diego Law Review. He obtained his Juris Doctor in 1982, and The State Bar of California admitted him to practice the following year.
Regarded as one of the top insurance defense attorneys in the country, Mr. Barbanel holds an AV Preeminent peer review rating* from Martindale-Hubbell, and he earned Best's Recommended Insurance Attorney designation in 2014. Active in his legal community, he is a member of several local, state and national bar associations, and he currently serves as vice chair for The State Bar of California Insurance Law Committee.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
About Alan H. Barbanel
First Admitted: 1983, California
Professional Webpage: https://www.btlawla.com/attorneys/alan-h-barbanel/
- Lexington Insurance Company v. Powers, McNalis Torres & Teebagy; Retained by Powers, McNalis Torres & Teebagy (PMT&T) re: whether Florida law firm fell below the applicable standard of care in defense of bad faith action entitled Saewitz v. Lexington Insurance Company
- Ecolite Concrete USA v. G.S. Levine Insurance Services Union, San Diego County Superior Court, Central Branch Case No. 37-2011-00098582-CU-PN-CTL (Retained by Stutz, Artiano, Shinoff & Holtz)
- Yarpezeshkan v Lewin, etc., et. al., San Diego County Superior Court, Case No. GIC 850949 (Retained by Jeffrey D. Lewin re: whether lawyer fell below applicable standard of care by failing to tender the Qualmag Litigation to the liability carrier before March 3, 2004)
- Golden Eagle Insurance Co. v. William D. Evans, etc., et al., Los Angeles County Superior Court Case No. BC 351301; (Retained by Golden Eagle Insurance Company, May 2007 (Testified at trial re: obligations of independent defense counsel pursuant to California Civil Code Section 2860))
- National Union Fire Ins. Co. of Pittsburgh, PA v General Star Indemnity Co., Slip Opinion, 2007 WL 495018 (C. A. 3d (Pa., February 16, 2007)); National Union Fire Insurance Co. of Pittsburgh, PA v. General Star Indemnity Co., 2005 WL 1389252 (U.S.D.C. E.D. Pa., June 9, 2005); General Reinsurance Corporation v. St. Jude Hospital, 107 Cal. App 4th 1097 (2003); QSP, Inc. v. The Aetna Casualty and Surety Co., 256 Conn. 343, 773 A.2d 906 (2001); Reliance National Indemnity Co. v. General Star Indemnity Co., 85 Cal. Rptr. 2d 627 (1999); Jamestown Builders, Inc., v. General Star Indemnity Co., 77 Cal.App.4th 341 (1999);General Star Indemnity Co. v. Superior Court (Hard Rock Café), 47 Cal. App. 4th 1586 (1996); Fireman’s Fund Insurance Co. v. McDonald, Hecht & Solberg, 30 Cal. App. 4th 1373 (1994); North Star Reinsurance Corporation v. Superior Court, 10 Cal. App. 4th 1815 (1992); Spa De Soleil v. General Star Indem. Co., 787 F.Supp.2d 1091 (C.D.Cal.2011); Zurich Specialties London, Ltd. v. Bickerstaff, Whatley, Ryan & Burkhalter, Inc., 650 F.Supp.2d 1064 (C.D.Cal.2009), affirmed, 425 Fed.Appx. 554 (9th Cir. 2011); Dietz Int’l Public Adjusters of Calif., Inc. v. Evanston Ins. Co., 796 F.Supp.2d 1197 (C.D.Cal.2011); F.D.I.C. v. General Star Nat. Ins. Co., 2012 WL 398352 (C.D.Cal. Feb. 7, 2012)
- Southern California Super Lawyer, 2004 – Present
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rated – Southern California Legal Leader, 2015
- Best’s Recommended Insurance Attorneys, 2014
- Member, Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
- California State Bar Insurance Law Committee, Member, 2012 – Present; Vice-Chair, 2014 – Present
- California State Bar Insurance Law Committee, January 2012 – Present
- Member, San Diego County Bar Association
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- State Bar of California, 1983
- Member, California State Bar Insurance Law Committe, 2012-2015
- Vice Chairman State Bar Insurance Committee, 2014-2015
- Northeastern University, Boston, Massachusetts, Bachelor of Science, magna cum laude, 1978
- Certain Underwriters at Lloyds, London. AmTrust Insurance. General Reinsurance Corp. General Star Indemnity Company. Genesis Insurance Company. Sompo International.
Last Updated: 5/15/2022