Top rated Personal Injury attorney in Los Angeles, CaliforniaWisner Baum LLP
Practice Areas: Personal Injury, Aviation & Aerospace, Products Liability; view more
Licensed in California since: 1981
Education: Loyola Law School Los Angeles
Wisner Baum LLP11111 Santa Monica Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90025 Visit website
Clay Robbins III is an attorney and shareholder in the Los Angeles office of Wisner Baum (formerly Baum Hedlund Aristei & Goldman). A third-generation California lawyer, Clay concentrates his practice on commercial transportation accident litigation and mass disasters.
For more the 35 years, Clay has championed the rights of victims and their families in personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits across the nation stemming from major accidents involving aviation, boats, buses, trains, tractor-trailers and auto defects.
Prior to joining Wisner Baum, Clay was a partner at the Los Angeles law firm of Magaña, Cathcart & McCarthy for more than 20 years. He worked on many of the firms high profile catastrophic injury and wrongful death cases. Among the many cases he handled, he successfully represented the plaintiffs in an aviation insurance bad faith action resulting in the recovery of over $9 million in compensatory and punitive damages.
In a truck accident case, Clay successfully represented the heirs of a trucker who was killed in a highway accident involving another long-haul truck, obtaining a seven-figure resolution on behalf of his clients.
Clay also represented the interests of a young woman who suffered life-changing injuries, including brain damage and hemiplegia, after her airbags failed to deploy when her vehicle was forced off the road and collided with a utility pole. An ensuing product liability case against the manufacturer of the airbag control module resulted in a multi-million-dollar verdict in favor of Clay’s client at trial, and then retained that judgment by successfully representing his client’s interests before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal.
Another transportation lawsuit against a major bus company and bus manufacturer resulted in Clay obtaining justice on behalf of passengers who sustained profound injuries in a devastating bus crash. The case concluded with a multi-million-dollar award for the represented parties.
Clay has also worked on numerous boating accident cases. He has litigated personal injury and wrongful death cases for passengers injured on tour boats, pleasure craft, cruise ships, charter boats, and competitive fishing boats. He has also represented seaman injured on commercial ships. He is currently representing several passengers injured in Hawaii while on a lava boat that came too close to the active lava flow from the Kilauea volcano. Passengers were injured when lava bombs came raining down on them. Clay has extensive experience with federal and general maritime law.
Throughout his career, Clay has received numerous honors and awards, as well as the coveted peer review rating of A.V. Preeminent (the highest possible rating for preeminent legal ability and ethics) from Martindale Hubbell, the national directory of attorneys. He has also been appointed Judge Pro Tem by the Los Angeles County Superior Court.
In his free time, Clay enjoys traveling with his wife, Kimberly, spending time with his children and grandchildren, and running and fishing in the Pacific Northwest with his brother. Clay is also a diehard fan of UCLA athletics.
Practice areasPersonal Injury - General: Plaintiff, Aviation and Aerospace, Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff
Aviation Accidents - Plaintiff, Brain Injury, Construction Accident, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Trucking Accidents, Wrongful Death
- 60% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 30% Aviation and Aerospace
- 10% Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 1981, California
Professional Webpage: https://www.baumhedlundlaw.com/attorneys/clay-robbins-iii/
- California, 1981
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1982
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 1983
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1988
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, 1993
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California, 2001
- U.S., District Court Southern District of California, 2003
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles
- Consumer Attorneys of California
- American Association for Justice: Aviation Law Section; Traumatic Brain Injury Litigation Group; Leader’s Forum
- San Fernando Valley Bar Association
- Attorneys Information Exchange Group
- Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association – 1981 – 2000
- Loyola Law School Alumni
- Ninth Circuit Historical Society, past member
- California Association for Nursing Home Reform – past member
- Supreme Court Historical Society – past member
- J.D., Loyola University of Los Angeles, 1981
- B.A., Psychology, University of California at Los Angeles, Dean’s List, 1978
- California Supreme Court: Winn, et al., v. Pioneer Medical Group, 63 Cal. 4th 148, 2016
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal: Twardowski v. Continental Airlines, 535 F.3d 952 (9th Cir.), 2008
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal: Montalvo v. Spirit Airlines, 508 F.3d 952 (9th Cir.), 2008
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal: Damon v. Air Pacific Ltd., 203 F.App’x 33 (9th Cir.), 2006
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal: Cortez v. Air New Zealand, Ltd., 203 F.App’x 33 (9th Cir.), 2006
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal: Blotteauz v. Qantas Airlines, 171 F.App’x 566 (9th Cir.), 2006
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal: Caman v. Continental Airlines, 455 F.3d 1087 (9th Cir.), 2006
- California Supreme Court: Dore v. Arnold World Wide, Inc., 39 Cal.4th 384, 2006
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal: Rodriguez v. Ansett Australia, Ltd., 383 F.3d 914 (9th Cir.), 2004
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal: Casteneda v. County of Los Angeles, 76 F.3d 385 (9th Cir.), 1996
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal: Broadnax v. Municipal Court, 8 F.3d 25 (9th Cir.), 1993
- California Courts of Appeal: Mancuso v. So. Cal. Edison, 232 Cal.App.3d 88, 1991
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal: McCalden v. California Library Assoc., 919 F.2d 538 (9th Cir.), 1989
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal: Haddad v. Lockheed, 720 F.2d 1454 (9th Cir.), 1983
- California Courts of Appeal: Mannino v. Superior Court, 142 Cal.App.3d 776, 1983
- Judge Pro Tem - Los Angeles County Superior Cour, 2020
- KGET NBC News Bakersfield, CA - A year ago today, a man stood up on a Greyhound bus traveling on Interstate 5 south of Fort Tejon Road and began shooting other passengers. One person was killed and five others wounded before he was disarmed and forced off the bus., Greyhound bus shooting suspect makes court appearance on 1-year anniversary of deadly incident, 2021
- NBC News Los Angeles - Greyhound bus passengers demand for increased safety measures after a shooting that killed one person and wounded five others on a Greyhound bus that was headed from Los Angeles to the Bay Area on Monday, authorities said. Joel Grover reported on NBC4 News at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 3, 2020., Attorney Clay Robbins about Greyhound Bus Safety Concerns, 2020
- KERO 23 ABC News Bakersfield - Four passengers who witnessed a deadly shooting onboard a Greyhound bus while traveling through Kern County earlier this year filed a lawsuit on Thursday. The suit, filed in Kern County Superior Court, asks for compensatory damages from the nationwide bus carrier., Bus passengers file lawsuit against Greyhound over fatal shooting, 2020
- Attorney and shareholder of Baum Hedlund Aristei & Goldman, Clay Robbins III is a third-generation lawyer. For his family, the desire to help people through practicing law is almost ingrained. , Meet Clay Robbins, 2017
- , California Power House, Law360 Regional Powerhouse Series, Law360, 2021
- 2021-2022, The Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers
- , The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers, National Trial Lawyers
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 10 Trucking Trial Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers
- , AV® Preeminent 5.0 out of 5 Peer Review Rating through LexisNexis, Martindale Hubbell
- , Listed, The Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers™, The Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers™
Office location for Clay Robbins
11111 Santa Monica Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90025
- Super Lawyers: 2022 - 2023