Top Rated Business Litigation Attorney in Los Angeles, CA
Farhad Novian is the managing partner of Novian & Novian LLP, located in Los Angeles, California, and he has provided representation to individual and corporate clients in a wide range of matters since 1985. His broad litigation and transactional practice encompasses multiple areas, including business and commercial, labor and employment, entertainment, sports and leisure, intellectual property, publicity rights, securities, hospitality, real estate, and land use and zoning.
In 1981, Mr. Novian graduated from the University of California, Los Angeles, with a Bachelor of Arts in economics and political science. He then attended Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, and was awarded a Juris Doctor in 1984. He co-founded Novian & Novian LLP with his brother in 1988. Admitted to practice in California, Mr. Novian is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Central Districts of California and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit.
Mr. Novian has enjoyed a long career of obtaining successful results for his clients through mediation, arbitration and litigation. This is reflected in the high esteem in which he is held by his fellow professionals. Mr. Novian has received an AV* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell, one that is only granted to those attorneys who demonstrate the highest combination of legal skills and ethics in their practice of the law. He has also received an "Excellent" peer review rating through Avvo.
A focused and dedicated attorney, Mr. Novian also actively participates in a number of professional organizations, including the American, Los Angeles and Beverly Hills Bar associations, the American Association for Justice and the International Trademark Association. He frequently is invited to lecture at the University of California, Los Angeles, on the topics of hospitality and real estate law.
*AV®, BV®, AV Preeminent® and BV Distinguished® are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general practice standards.
- 50%Business Litigation
- 10%Entertainment & Sports
- 10%Intellectual Property
- 10%Real Estate: Business
- 10%Employment & Labor: Employer
Trade Secret, Non-Compete Agreements, Entertainment, Sports & Leisure Law, Copyrights, Trademarks, Intellectual Property Law, Business Formation and Planning, Limited Liability Companies, Partnership, Contracts, Business Organizations, Employment Law - Employee, Wage & Hour Laws, Sexual Harassment, Labor Law
- Super Lawyers: 2016 - 2022
About Farhad Novian
First Admitted: 1985, California
Professional Webpage: http://www.novianlaw.com/attorneys/farhad-novian/
Pro bono/Community Service
- Temple Emanuel of Beverly Hills, Member of the Board of Directors
- Participated in the "Boardroom Series" lectures on corporate structuring matters before young entrepreneurial professionals, UCLA on real estate and hospitality law
- Allied Wallet, Inc.
- Bisou Bisou, Black Cat
- Buddha Bar Hotels and Restaurants
- Foreign Trade Corp. dba Technocel
- Frida Mexican Cuisine
- Hollywood International Regional Center
- 800 Degrees
- ICO Holdings, Inc.
- Jones Hollywood
- United Medical Imaging Healthcare
- West Coast Dental Services
- Wireless Accessories
- AV Rated Lawyer, Martindale-Hubbell
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Article published in the Daily Journal about Novian & Novian entitled "Brotherly Law- The Familial Ties at Novian & Novian haven't kept the boutique from representing a wide variety of clients in big matters"
- Article published in the Daily Journal about Novian & Novian entitled "Casual Dining Trend Feeds Hospitality Boutique Firms - The Slow Economy has Boosted Casual Restaurants and the Lawyers Serving Them"
- University of California, Los Angeles, California, B.A., Major: Economics and Political Science, 1981
- Speaker at forum in favor of Aaron Weissman for Los Angeles Superior Court Judge, 2015
- Beverly Hills Bar Association Speaker - Purchasing and Developing Retail Shopping Centers
- California, 1985
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1985
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California, 1985
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 1985
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 1985
- U.S. District Court Western District of California, 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1985
- American Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- Beverly Hills Bar Association
- International Trademark Association
- After 4 years of intense litigation, on Tuesday, November 29, 2016, Novian & Novian LLP’s efforts on behalf of client Lawrence “40 Glocc” White were rewarded with a final judgment against Defendant Jayceon Terrell Taylor, professionally known as “The Game,” for his assault and battery of Mr. White in July of 2012. Trial of the liability phase of the case took place over 6 days at the end of July 2015. In the interceding year pending trial of the punitive damages phase, Mr. Taylor made every effort to delay the trial and steadfastly refused to provide any responses to Mr. White’s discovery requests. In response, Novian & Novian’s attorneys moved for terminating sanctions against Mr. Taylor which were ultimately granted by Judge Suzanne Bruguera. All told, the final judgment consists of $3,000.00 in compensatory damages, $27,000.00 in punitive damages, and $166,335.15 in sanctions and attorneys’ fees awards. , 2016
- Farhad Novian and Novian & Novian, LLP served as defense and counter-claimant’s counsel in a licensing dispute involving a major multinational licensor of apparel brands and one of its licensees seeking in excess of $2,000,000 in royalties from Mr. Novian’s client. Mr. Novian’s client was the licensee in the transaction. There was an arbitration proceeding, a state court case, and also a somewhat related action before the International Trade Commission brought by Converse all of which terminated and culminated in July 2016. The licensing dispute resulted in a defense verdict in favor of Mr. Novian’s client. In addition, the Award also resulted in a 7 figure award in favor of Mr. Novian and the cases eventually reached an amicable resolution and are confidential. , 2016
- On July 29, 2014, Novian & Novian, LLP filed suit against Babak Samini, Samini Scheinberg P.C., Andrew Yoo, ACY Global, Inc., among other defendants, on behalf of client American Investment Group, LLC, seeking recovery relating to an allegedly fraudulent real estate investment scheme. After Novian & Novian, LLP’s aggressive litigation of the case, including victory on a motion to compel deposition, the above-named defendants ultimately settled in November 2015. When the defendants breached the terms of the settlement agreement approximately one year later, Novian & Novian, LLP prevailed on a motion to enforce the settlement agreement pursuant to California Code of Civil Procedure § 664.6. Judgement was entered against the defendants jointly and severally in the amount of $168,555.00 on August 16, 2017, with interest accruing thereon., 2017
Last Updated: 5/15/2022