Gary Jay Kaufman
Top rated White Collar Crimes attorney in Los Angeles, CaliforniaThe Kaufman Law Group
Gary Jay Kaufman is the founding partner of The Kaufman Law Group, a boutique trial firm focusing on white collar criminal defense and complex civil litigation. Mr. Kaufman has earned a national reputation as a distinguished trial lawyer, representing individuals and corporations large and small in state and federal courts and before administrative and regulatory agencies. He has successfully litigated numerous high-profile criminal and civil matters across the United States, including hundreds of multi-million dollar trials, arbitrations and mediations. Mr. Kaufman’s extensive trial experience, combined with his prior work as a Judge Pro Tem and mediator, allows him to formulate an aggressive litigation strategy designed to efficiently and effectively achieve his clients’ goals.
Practice areasCriminal Defense: White Collar, Business Litigation
- 70% Criminal Defense: White Collar
- 30% Business Litigation
First Admitted: 1980, California
Professional Webpage: https://www.theklg.com/About/Gary-J-Kaufman.shtml
- Representing client in 20-plus defendant in ongoing federal case in the Northern District of California, involving allegations of money laundering, pharmaceutical fraud, and wire fraud.
- Representing college baseball player in ongoing highly publicized date rape case.
- Represented government employee charged with felony fraud, resulting in all counts dismissed.
- Represented suspect arrested in a cold-case murder investigation, who was released with no charges filed following our representation.
- Representing heir to legendary singer/songwriter on multiple cases involving weapons and drug charges, that has thus far resulted in dismissal of multiple counts.
- Representing a high-level executive in a case pending in the Western District of Wisconsin Federal Court that involves a scheme to defraud and swindle money from a company.
- Representing American businessman in an ongoing international criminal investigation, involving cooperation between foreign and domestic federal prosecutors.
- Represented world-renowned event producer in one of the most prominently reported on local corruption criminal cases in recent memory. In what was widely viewed as a huge victory, successfully reduced a six-felony count indictment involving allegations of public corruption and bribery to a single misdemeanor plea following the exposure of prosecutorial misconduct.
- Representing a client in multi-million dollar healthcare fraud federal matter located in Central District of California, involving fraudulent billings and aggravated identity theft.
- Represented key witness in a federal bribery and public corruption investigation involving a municipal utilities contract for a Southern California city.
- Representing a defendant in one of the largest healthcare fraud case in the State of California, involving over a dozen defendants, and deals with issues and evidentiary hearings surrounding prosecutorial misconduct and potential invasions of the attorney-client privilege.
- Representing key witness relative to Department of Justice investigation into pay-to-play public corruption matter involving the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, Foreign Agents Registrations Act, and various international governments and high-profile public officials.
- Successfully defended potential felony manslaughter charges against a corporation in the wake of an accidental workplace death.
- Argued for and changed the law on internet obscenity in the Ninth Circuit, and obtained bail pending appeal of the first ever criminal convictions under the CAN-SPAM act, and the first internet obscenity convictions in the Ninth Circuit not involving child pornography.
- Represented a client facing federal indictment on multiple mail fraud, wire fraud and conspiracy charges in the Northern District of New York.
- Achieved complete dismissal of felony charges in wide-ranging prosecution for Medi-Cal fraud.
- Achieved complete dismissal of felony charges in wide-ranging prosecution for Medi-Cal fraud.
- Achieved acquittal of first-degree murder charges in Beverly Hills Superior Court.
- Successfully defended multi-million-dollar music festival production company, following full arbitration on the merits, with arbitration award fully granted favor of company and no wrongdoing found.
- Represented employee and shareholder of a multi-million-dollar company in a dispute involving claims of discrimination, infliction of emotional distress, breach of fiduciary duty, wrongful termination and breach of contract. Achieved a multi-million-dollar settlement for our client.
- Represented prominent event producer in Federal Court intellectual property case alleging theft of an iconic trademark, resolved favorably.
- Represented major music promoter and in partnership dispute alleging breaches of fiduciary duty, which was thrown out following motion to dismiss.
- Represented renowned board-certified neurosurgeon in massive healthcare fraud civil action, resulting in the case being dismissed against our client on motion.
- Represented major music promoter and achieved a favorable resolution in Federal Court case brought by former business partner alleging various breaches of duty.
- Successfully resolved a matter regarding civil allegations of public bribery and corruption against a world-renowned event production company and its chief executive.
- Negotiated and resolved a wrongful termination employment matter, pre-litigation, on behalf of the Chief Executive Officer of a multi-million dollar corporation, resulting in a $7 million settlement.
- Represented the chief officer of a billion dollar publicly traded company with respect to various #MeToo and sexual misconduct allegations vis-à-vis purported accusers and an internal company investigation.
- Represented client against a multi-billion-dollar pharmaceutical company in a matter which was the subject of national headlines, had massive implications on Wall Street and the stock market, and garnered political attention from presidential candidates, United States Congressmen and was the subject of congressional hearings and committees. The case was resulted in an extremely favorable resolution for the client and exposed previously unknown fraudulent activities on the pharmaceutical marketplace.
- Representing international film production company in a high-profile case that has gained national notoriety and media attention. This Massachusetts Federal District Court matter involves allegations of the Civil Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act and Copyright infringement, among others.
- Represented leading designer and manufacturer of flow measurement instruments for the oil and gas industry in its multi-million dollar suit against an industry competitor for, among other things, unfair competition and misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Successfully defended federal spam claims, subsequently affirmed on appeal to the Ninth Circuit. The opposing side's petition for certiorari to the United States Supreme Court was denied.
- Successfully defended an Internet dating site against allegations of trademark infringement, unfair competition and violations of the right of publicity in Federal District Court.
- Secured an outright dismissal of the San Bernardino District Attorney's unfair competition lawsuit against America's leading stone manufacturer, after two and a half years of hard fought litigation.
- Defeated, by way of summary adjudication, a $20,000,000 joint venture claim brought by a former agent and marketing representative of a world-renowned artist.
- Defended a Los Angeles-based shoe and clothing boutique in their defense and counter-claims against a Chicago retail art gallery and furniture store's trademark infringement action in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
- Represented an affiliate marketing company in its lawsuit against two of the world's largest online advertisers. The suit alleged, among other things, Unfair Business Practices, Unfair Competition, Tortious Interference with Prospective Economic Advantage, Unjust Enrichment, and Conversion. Achieved dismissal of the opposing side's reactive declaratory relief action in Washington Federal Court, defeated the opposition's motion to enforce inapplicable arbitration agreement, and won following the opposing party's appeal.
- Aggressively defended one of the world's largest social networking sites, with over 100 million members and 25 million monthly visitors, against 46 plaintiffs in San Francisco Superior Court.
- Defeated motion for certification of a nation-wide class action against one of the world's most popular Internet dating sites, in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.
- US District Court of Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- District of New Mexico
- California State Bar
- United States District Court for the Northern District of New York
- Western District of Washington
- Eastern District of Missouri
- District of Nevada
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth and Sixth Circuits
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- Northern District of Georgia
Office location for Gary Jay Kaufman
1801 Century Park East
Los Angeles, CA 90067
- Super Lawyers: 2017 - 2024