Top rated immigration attorney in Los Angeles, CaliforniaLaw Offices of Gihan Thomas
Practice Areas: Immigration; view more
Licensed in California since: 1998
Education: University of West Los Angeles
Languages Spoken: Arabic, English, Chinese-Mandarin
Law Offices of Gihan Thomas930 Colorado Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90041 Visit website
Gihan Thomas is the founder of the Law Offices of Gihan L. Thomas, located in Los Angeles, California. Focusing her practice exclusively on immigration law, she handles asylum cases, detention and removal defense, federal appeals and motions to reopen/reconsider, family petitions, fiancée visas, consular processing, perm applications, business and investment visas, citizenship and naturalization, and employment visas. Ms. Thomas represents clients throughout the US. She also provides pro bono services for immigrants and their family members who otherwise would not be able to afford legal assistance.
Ms. Thomas earned her Bachelor's degree in English and American literature from Alexandria University in Egypt in 1985. After moving to the United States, she pursued her legal education at the University of West Los Angeles School of Law and was awarded her Juris Doctor in 1998. Admitted to practice in California, She is Certified as a Specialist in Immigration and Nationality Law. Ms. Thomas is also admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of California, U.S. District Court for the Central District of California and the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the 3rd, 5th, 9th and 11th Circuits.
Throughout her distinguished career, Ms. Thomas has earned the respect of her colleagues for her stellar track record and high degree of ethics. The holder of a 10.0 "Superb" peer review rating through Avvo, she has also been named to The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100, Top Women Attorneys 2015-2017. Ms. Thomas, is an active participant in several professional organizations, including the Los Angeles County Bar Association and the American Immigration Lawyers Association. She has lectured extensively on topics related to her practice area.
As a zealous advocate for her clients and for immigration issues, she argued the case Viridiana v. Holder wherein the Ninth Circuit agreed that fraud by an immigration consultant can establish a waiver from the one year deadline in filing an asylum application; she also argued Sumolang v. Holder, where the Ninth Circuit agreed that a harm to a child can establish eligibility for asylum to a parent; and she also argued Chandra v. Holder, where the Ninth Circuit agreed that change personal circumstances, as it relates to changed country conditions in the country of removal, could warrant reopening of an alien's removal proceedings. Ms. Thomas continues to argue cases before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Practice areasImmigration: consumer
Asylum, Naturalization & citizenship
- 100% Immigration: consumer
First Admitted: 1998, California
Professional Webpage: https://gihanthomaslaw.com
- Alexandria University, Majors: English and American Literature
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Federal District Court, Central, 1998
- American Immigration Lawyer’s Association, Liaison Litigation Unit
- U.S. District court 9th Circuit Courts of Appeals
- Federal District Court, Central, 1998
- U.S. District court 11th Circuit Courts of Appeals
- U.S. District court 3rd Circuit Courts of Appeals
- State Bar of California, 1998
- Chandra v. Holder, 751 F.3d 1034(9th Cir. 2014)
- Sumolang v. Holder, 723 F.3d 1080 (9th Cir. 2013)
- Viridiana v. Holder 646 F.3d 1230 (9th Cir. 2011)
- Outstanding Community Leader Award, County of Los Angeles, Supervisor Fourth District, 2007
- , Super Lawyer for Immigration and Nationality Law
- Top Attorneys, Los Angeles - Magazine, 2016
- Special Congressional Recognition, United States of America Member of Congress, 2007
- Outstanding Community Leader Award, County of Los Angeles, Chairman of the Board (Third District), 2007
- Outstanding Community Leader Award, City of Los Angeles, Councilmember First District, 2007
- Super Lawyer for Immigration and Nationality Law, 2017
- Top 100 Lawyers, Liaison Litigation, SC American Immigration Lawyers Association, Executive Committee
- Outstanding Community Leader Award, City of Los Angeles, Councilmember, 2007
- Outstanding Community Leader Award, County of Los Angeles, Supervisor Second District
- Super Lawyer for Immigration and Nationality Law, 2015
- Top Women Attorneys, Los Angeles - Magazine, 2015 - 2017
- Certificate of Recongition, State of California Senate, 2007
- Outstanding Community Leader Award, County of Los Angeles, Supervisor Fifth District, 2007
- Certified Specialist, Immigration and Nationality Law, State Bar of California, Board of Legal Specialization, 2014
Office location for Gihan Thomas
930 Colorado Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90041
- Super Lawyers: 2015 - 2023
Certificates and credentials
Immigration and Nationality Law