Top rated business & corporate attorney in Los Angeles, CaliforniaHarris Bricken
Well-renowned attorney Hilary Bricken is a partner at the law office of Harris Bricken in Los Angeles, California. She assists small and medium-sized businesses with corporate structures, business transactions and regulatory compliance issues. As one of the few attorneys adept at handling cannabis legal matters, she often serves as an expert witness in a wide range of cannabis related business and partnership disputes.
Actively practicing in the states of Florida, Washington and California, Ms. Bricken appears before the United States District Court for the Western District of Washington and the United States District Court for the Central District of California. She obtained her Juris Doctor from the University of Miami School of Law upon completing her undergraduate studies at Jacksonville University.
By offering high-quality, timely legal counsel aligned with her clients’ business objectives and clearly communicating progress throughout the process, Ms. Bricken assists business owners in making sound business decisions. She strives to help her clients’ businesses prosper using state-of-the-art technology while building lasting relationships with them.
Ms. Bricken belongs to The Florida Bar, The State Bar of California, the Washington State Bar Association, the Los Angeles County Bar Association and the King County Bar Association. There are an incredible number of awards and recognitions she has received, including:
- Leafly’s inclusion to the list of “8 Influential Women Leading the Cannabis Industry in 2017”
- The Puget Sound Business Journal’s “40 Under 40” and “Deal Maker” recognitions
- The American Bar Association’s “Top 40 Young Lawyers” listing
- Recognition in Chambers USA 2021 Guide in tier one
- Inclusion in the Global Top 200 Cannabis Lawyers Directory 2021/22 and the Top 200 Global Psychedelic Lawyers and Policy & Regulatory Experts 2021-2022
Ms. Bricken is often sought out by major media agencies for her unique insights on cannabis legalization and she is often quoted by the New York Times, the Los Angeles Times and Forbes.
Presenter and speaker on various legal topics, she has had over 100,000 views to her Tedx Talk on “Big Marijuana”. She also frequently blogs on the firm’s Canna Law Blog page. As a former college soccer player, she currently plays for a coed soccer team sponsored by Harris Bricken in Los Angeles.
Practice areasBusiness/corporate, Cannabis law, Health care
Business formation and planning, Contracts, Business organizations, Health & health care law
- 50% Business/corporate
- 40% Cannabis law
- 10% Health care
First Admitted: 2010, California
Professional Webpage: https://harrisbricken.com/our-team/hilary-bricken/
- Top 200 Global Psychedelic Lawyers and Policy & Regulatory Experts (2021-2022)
- Industry Attorney of the Year, Dope Magazine (2013)
- 2013 “Deal Maker,” Puget Sound Business Journal (2013)
- 2015 “40 Under 40,” Puget Sound Business Journal (2015)
- Named one of “8 Influential Women Leading the Cannabis Industry in 2017,” Leafly (2017).
- Named one of the “Top 40 Young Lawyers,” American Bar Association (2017)
- Named one of the “Top Marijuana Industry Deal Attorneys” Business Insider (2019)
- “Rising Star” lawyer, Super Lawyers (Washington) 2014-2021
- “Rising Star” lawyer, Super Lawyers (Southern California) 2019-2021
- Recognized in Chambers USA 2021 Guide
- Global Top 200 Cannabis Lawyers (2021-2022)
- Solving the Cannabis Tax Puzzle: Approaches for an Emergent Industry, The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, January 26, 2022.
- Federal-State Conflicts on Cannabis, Washington Wire, January 10, 2013.
- Marijuana Law and Policy, Above The Law, Featured Columnist, 2015 – 2019.
- Washington marijuana laws explained, GreenState, November 28, 2017.
- Colorado marijuana laws explained, GreenState, November 28, 2017.
- Acquiring a Cannabis Business, Thomson Reuters Westlaw, 2021.
- Reefer Sadness? SAFE Banking Act is Back, Cannabis Business Executive, February 3, 2022.
- Regular contributor to the award-winning Canna Law Blog.
- Medical Marijuana in Illinois, The Seminar Group, Chicago, IL, June 5, 2015.
- Spotting Product Liability Issues for Marijuana, NBI, June 26, 2015.
- Medical and Recreational Marijuana in Oregon, The Seminar Group, July 8, 2015.
- Medical and Recreational Marijuana in Washington, The Seminar Group, July 30, 2015.
- Legal Considerations for State-Legal Marijuana Businesses, Thomson Reuters, August 11, 2015.
- Medical Marijuana in Seattle, Lawline, September 3, 2015.
- AICPA Forensic & Valuation Services Conference, AICPA, The Venetian & Palazzo Resort – Las Vegas, November 8, 2015 @3:10-4:25pm.
- Pennsylvania’s Proposed Medical Cannabis Act, The Pennsylvania Bar Institute, November 23, 2015.
- Best of Both Worlds – the Potential in Polarity, TEDx Talk, Orcas Island, March 5, 2016.
- Marijuana, Twenty-Three States and Counting…, American Bar Association, The JW Marriott and National Press Club-Washington D.C., April 6, 2016.
- The Cannabis Science and Policy Summit, Marron Institute of Urban Management, New York University, April 17-18, 2016.
- Program Chair, Marijuana in Alaska, The Seminar Group, Anchorage, AK, April 28, 2016.
- Program Co-Chair, Medical and Recreational Marijuana in Northern California, The Seminar Group, San Fransisco, CA, May 13, 2016.
- Oregon Marijuana for Investors, Harris Bricken webinar, May 25, 2016.
- Cutting Through the Haze: Marijuana and the Environment, ABA Environmental Conference, Denver, CO, October 6, 2016.
- Marijuana Legalization in California, American Inns of Court, Long Beach, CA October 11, 2016.
- Marijuana is Legal: Now What?, NACM Western Region Credit Conference, Seattle, WA, October 14, 2016.
- Medical and Recreational Marijuana in Southern California, The Seminar Group, Santa Monica, CA, October 27, 2016.
- Co-chair, Cannabis as a Business in California, Law Seminars International, Sacramento, CA, February 3, 2017.
- Cross-Border Cannabis Markets: A Primer for Marijuana Businesses and Investors in the U.S. and Canada, Harris Bricken webinar, May 9, 2017.
- California Medical Cannabis Licensing: What You Need to Know Now, Harris Bricken webinar, June 1, 2017.
- Medicinal and Adult Use Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act: What You Need to Know, Harris Bricken webinar, August 8, 2017.
- Rights, Opportunities, and Responsibilities of Municipalities Regulating Cannabis, Harris Bricken webinar, December 14, 2017.
- What You Need to Know Now to Get Your California Cannabis License on January 1, Harris Bricken webinar, December 18, 2017.
- Wineries & Cannabis: What You Can & Can’t Do, Central Coast Wine and Weed Symposium, San Louis Obispo, CA, May 10, 2018.
- Cannabis Lawyer Tells All, The David Pakman Show, October 21, 2018.
- Marijuana in California: Navigating the Potential and Pitfall in a Newly Legalized Industry, Public Policy Exchange, February 14, 2019.
- West Coast Hemp CBD After the Farm Bill, Harris Bricken webinar, February 21, 2019.
- Lawyering for the Cannabis Industry, UCLA School of Law, February 2019.
- Navigating California’s Regulations: What’s Wrong and How Do We Fix It?, Bright TALK, June 4, 2019.
- Is the Cannabis Gold “Rush” More of a Gold “Trickle”?, Nutrition Industry Association (NIA), May 22, 2019.
- Legal Trends in the Cannabis Industry, American Association for Justice, July 27, 2019.
- Cannabis Investment Issues, California Society of CPAs Annual Cannabis Symposium, August 9, 2019.
- Cannabis Taxation and Regulation, Law and Economics Center’s Symposium on the Law and Economics of Marijuana Legalization, George Mason University Antonin Scalia Law School, October 7, 2019.
- The Seller’s Viewpoint, California Cannabis Mergers & Acquisitions Conference, November 4, 2019.
- Career Choices Series: Cannabis Law, American Bar Association, January 24, 2020.
- Take Me To Your Dealer: A KCRW Joint, KCRW, Santa Monica, CA, January 30, 2020.
- Multi-State Cannabis Operators, Harris Bricken webinar, April 2, 2020.
- High Times: An Update on Doing Business with Cannabis Companies in the U.S., NACM Business Credit Services, May 5, 2020.
- California Cannabis Q&A, Harris Bricken webinar, May 28, 2020.
- Ketamine, Psilocybin and New Drug Therapies, Harris Bricken webinar, July 9, 2020.
- Cannabis in Mexico Part 2: The Q&A, Harris Bricken webinar, March 4, 2021.
- Changing Tides: Lobbying on Cannabis Issues in the Biden Administration, Harris Bricken webinar, March 24, 2021.
- How Businesses and Investors can Enter Mexico’s Cannabis Market, Cannabis Mexico Summit, March 25, 2021.
- Planning Cannabis in Our Communities, Inland Empire Section – American Planning Association webinar, April 15th, 2021.
- Competing bills seek to clarify California’s hazy cannabis billboard rules, Greater L.A. podcast, April 15, 2021.
- Cross-Border Cannabis, Harris Bricken and Torkin Manes LLP Webinar, April 16th, 2021.
- Cannabis in New York: Intro to the Marijuana Regulation and Taxation Act, Harris Bricken webinar, May 4, 2021.
- Owning and Operating a Winery: Legal Considerations, The Seminar Group, June 11, 2021.
- Panelist on Psychedelic M&A Trends, 2021 Psychedelic Opportunity Virtual Summit, June 22, 2021.
- Starting a Ketamine Clinic– What You Need to Know, Harris Bricken webinar, September 9, 2021.
- Cannabis: A Global New High – U.S. Panel, Clifford Chance Webinar, December 8, 2021.
- Corporate Cannabis Q&A: Buying and Selling a Cannabis Business, Harris Bricken webinar, January 13, 2022.
- Florida State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- Member of The Florida Bar, 2014
- Member of the Washington State Bar Association, 2010
- Member of the State Bar of California, 2012
- Jacksonville University (B.A.)
Office location for Hilary Bricken
444 Flower St
Los Angeles, CA 90071
- Rising Stars: 2019 - 2023
Top listsUp-and-Coming 100: Southern California Rising Stars: 2023 Up-and-Coming 50: Women Southern California Rising Stars: 2022 - 2023
Find me online
- "Given the available evidence, it is not apparent how CBD products could meet safety standards for dietary suppleme… https://t.co/1ZS0w0N5CI
- Check out my newest @CannaLawBlog post: Will AI Replace Your Cannabis Lawyer? (I Asked ChatGPT) https://t.co/o1NaZBSm9O
- Check out my newest @CannaLawBlog post: Google Changes Its CBD Advertising Policies https://t.co/9CxwOjRh5A