Jaime W. Marquart
Top rated business litigation attorney in Los Angeles, CaliforniaWaymaker LLP
Jaime W. Marquart took his first step toward his professional career when he was admitted to college at the young age of 16. He received a Bachelor of Arts in business honors and management from The University of Texas, finishing at the top of his class with a 4.0 grade point average. In 1998, he added to his educational resume with a Juris Doctor from Harvard Law School, graduating cum laude. Mr. Marquart currently focuses on complex litigation cases throughout California at Baker Marquart LLP, where he is a partner. Because of his success and extensive experience, he was named by Los Angeles Magazine as a “Rising Star” from 2009 to 2013.
From individuals to corporations that include The Vanguard Group, The Carlyle Group and Bedford Falls Productions, Mr. Marquart has represented many notable clients. He has managed and tried cases involving real estate, insurance coverage, corporate finance, government contract accounting, and employment and labor disputes.
Other clients of Mr. Marquart include investment management companies, commercial lenders and Hollywood agencies. Additionally, he aggressively pursues favorable settlements and has handled transactional matters for entertainment contractors, international joint ventures and private corporate acquisitions. His success and dedication are demonstrated in several engagements where he reached settlements or won cases. One such victory involved the producers and directors of the film “The Last Samurai.”
A member of the Los Angeles County Bar Association and the American Bar Association, Mr. Marquart is admitted to practice before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit and the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.
Practice areasBusiness litigation, Intellectual property litigation, Entertainment & sports, Securities litigation
Trade secret, Non-compete agreements, Entertainment, sports & leisure law
- 50% Business litigation
- 20% Intellectual property litigation
- 20% Entertainment & sports
- 10% Securities litigation
First Admitted: 1999, California
Professional Webpage: https://www.bakermarquart.com/trial-lawyers/jaime-marquart
- Obtained a favorable settlement in an implied contract case brought on behalf of a writer against ABC Cable Networks Group concerning the television show Hannah Montana
- With co-counsel Quinn Emanuel, obtained a complete defense verdict in a federal jury trial brought against Academy Award® winning directors and producers concerning the film The Last Samurai.
- Obtained positive attorneys’ fees settlement in an interpleader cross-action brought on behalf of one of the world’s largest investment management companies.
- Obtained a favorable settlement for major real estate investment group in a dispute against the defendant seller of a building that contained asbestos.
- Obtained an IFTA arbitration award for a well-known Hollywood agency finding that the agency’s former client, an Academy Award® nominated film editor, still owed the agency its full commission on multiple major motion picture projects despite client’s early termination of the relationship.
- Obtained summary judgment and received a six-figure Rule 11 sanctions award on behalf of a commercial lender in a suit seeking $2 million in damages for fraud.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of an Academy Award® winning director and screenwriter, as well as a major motion picture studio, in a copyright suit involving a blockbuster film.
- Obtained favorable pre-lawsuit settlements on behalf of multiple executives against an emerging biopharmaceutical company that had improperly withheld contingent stock and cash compensation from them.
- Obtained a walk-away settlement on behalf of a large industrial manufacturer in a labor dispute brought by its former executives.
- The Carlyle Group
- Edward Zwick
- Bedford Falls Company
- Marshall Herskovitz
- The Vanguard Group
- Arthur Sarkissian
- The Mirisch Agency
- University of Texas Business Honors Alumni Association
- American Bar Association
- Central District of California
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- University of Texas at Austin, Bachelor of Arts, Business Honors and Management, 1995
Office location for Jaime W. Marquart
515 S. Flower St
Los Angeles, CA 90071
- Super Lawyers: 2014 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2009 - 2013