Karl S. Thurmond
Top Rated Business Litigation Attorney in Los Angeles, CA
Litigation: Prosecuted and defended a broad variety of complex business litigation, including disputes involving the Unfair Business Practices Act, The Consumer Legal Remedies Act, unfair competition, real estate, securities, insurance coverage, corporate and partnership law, franchise law, trade secrets, products liability, construction law, employment, sexual harassment and wrongful termination.
Corporate: Advised clients on the purchase and leasing of real estate, purchase and sale of businesses, general corporate matters and employment matters.
Primary trial attorney for client in a lawsuit against a major insurance carrier, which resulted in a verdict in excess of $9 million.
Primary trial attorney for national franchisor involving a nationwide recall of commercial blenders, which resulted in a jury verdict in favor of client for breach of warranty and negligent misrepresentation.
Primary trial attorney in defense of major franchisor in trial involving sexual harassment and retaliation claims, in which the jury returned verdict for only nominal damages.
Primary trial attorney in a binding arbitration for national third-party marketing firm against a prominent investment management firm involving a dispute over the payment of commissions, in which client was awarded multi six-figures and recovered the majority of its legal fees.
Co-counsel in a complex product liability jury trial, which resulted in a directed verdict and one of the largest sanctions awards in the State of California against the plaintiff, its insurance carrier and its counsel.
General Litigation Experience
Represented international manufacturer in defense of construction case involving in excess of $80 million in potential liability.
Represented community development bank in defense of lawsuit by City of Los Angeles seeking in excess of $11 million in damages.
Obtained multi-million dollar settlement for a manufacturing company in a patent infringement dispute.
Obtained multi-million dollar settlement against an insurance carrier involving damage to a Canadian manufacturing plant.
Advised national marketing firm in prosecution and defense of federal court dispute with money manager involving in excess of $5 million in damages.
Resolved $2 million adulterated product claim by former employee against client without litigation for five figures.
Handled prosecution and defense of litigation involving the purchase of securities in a national time-share condominium company, in which client recovered nearly $1 million based upon its cross-claims.
Obtained multi-million dollar settlement against a leading publicly traded investor education company in a lawsuit based on breach of contract, conversion, accounting and constructive trust claims.
Represented international franchisor in lawsuit against a leading paint manufacturer, which resulted in a seven-figure settlement.
Obtained dismissal without payment of money for construction firm in a case involving seven-figure liability for negligent construction of a luxury estate.
Obtained seven-figure settlement against a national investment banking firm in the prosecution of a managing director's employment and breach of contract claims.
Successfully handled an appeal which confirmed summary judgment in favor of national franchisor in a multi-million dollar dispute over the sale of a manufacturing plant and alleged breach of a co-packing agreement, and resulted in the published opinion of Copeland v. Baskin-Robbins USA. et al., (2002) 96 Ca1.App.4th 1251.
Class Action Defense
Obtained dismissal without payment of money for national franchisor in class action involving seven-figure liability for the illegal sale of gift certificates with expiration dates.
Resolved class action for national franchisor involving seven-figure liability for the illegal sale of gift certificates with expiration dates under the Unfair Business Practices Act and the Consumer Legal Remedies Act for five figures.
Resolved class action for franchisor involving seven-figure liability under the Unfair Business Practices Act involving the purported illegal taxing of iced tea for five figures.
Obtained dismissal without payment of money for franchisor in class action under the Unfair Business Practices Act based upon the unauthorized enforcement of parking regulations.
Obtained dismissal without payment of money for franchisor in class action brought under the Unfair Business Practices Act alleging, among other things, violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Moderator, 33rd District Congressional Candidates Forum, hosted by Temple Emanuel, May 2014.
Member of the Board of Directors of Temple Emanuel, 2009 – present.
President of the Board of Regents of Beverly Hills Temple Emanuel Academy Day School, 2009 - 2011.
General Counsel and a member of Board of Directors of Watts/Willowbrook Boys & Girls Club, 2001 - 2006.
Vice Chairperson of the Class of 1985 20th Reunion Gift Committee for The Harvard Law School Campaign, 2004 - 2005.
Appointed by California State Senate to the Structural Pest Control Board of the State of California, 2000 - 2004.
About Karl S. Thurmond
First Admitted: 1986, California
Professional Webpage: http://www.thurmondlaw.com
Pro bono/Community Service
- Co-Chair Congressman Adam Schiff's Finance Committee (2018)
- General Counsel, Member of Board of Directors, Watts/Willowbrook Boys & Girls Club (2001 - 2006)
- Member, Board of Directors, Reading Is Fundamental of Southern California, Inc. (1988 - 1992)
- Member, Structural Pest Control Board of the State of California (2000 - 2004)
- Member, Board of Directors of Temple Emanuel (2009-2013)
- Vice Chairperson, Class of 1985 20th Reunion Gift Committee, Harvard Law School Campaign
- Counsel, Committee to Elect Adam Schiff (currently Congressmen) to the California State Assembly (1991)
- President, Board of Regents of Temple Emanuel Academy Day School (2009-2011)
- Member, Board of Directors, Dartmouth Club of Los Angeles (2004 - 2006)
- Counsel, Black Business Association of Los Angeles, Inc. (1992 - 1998)
- Selected one of the Top 100 Litigation lawyers in the State of California for 2014, 2016 and 2018 by the American Society of Legal Advocates. Selected one of the Top 100 Black Lawyers in the State of California by the National Black Lawyers Association for 2016, 2017 and 2018. Named to the Judicial Appointments Committee of the Los Angeles County Bar Association, 2012 – 2013. Recipient of Special Commendation Award from El Pollo Loco, Inc. for Contributions to Success of El Pollo Loco, 2010. Named "Southern California Super Lawyer" in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016,2017 and 2018 by Los Angeles Magazine, which is a designation given to the top five percent of lawyers in Southern California. Certified Member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, which is limited to attorneys who have won million dollar verdicts, awards and settlements, 2005 – present. Named to McDonald's Corporation's list of Preferred Outside Franchise Counsel, 2003 – present. Panelist: the National Employment Law Council Conference, 2001. Panelist: Labor and Employment Law Symposium of the Labor and Employment Law Section of the State Bar of California, Spring and Fall, 1995.
- Mr. Thurmond obtained a multi-million dollar settlement against a leading publicly traded investor education company in a lawsuit in which his client alleged breach of contract, conversion, accounting and constructive trust claims.
- Mr. Thurmond has first chaired six jury trials, including the prosecution of a trial against a major insurance carrier, which resulted in a verdict in excess of $9 million.
- Mr. Thurmond has handled the prosecution and defense of several complex civil litigation and trial matters, including the successful defense of litigation involving the purchase of securities in a national time-share condominium company, in which his client recovered nearly $1 million based upon its cross-claims.
- Mr. Thurmond obtained a seven-figure settlement against a national investment banking firm in the prosecution of a managing director’s employment and breach of contract claims.
- Mr. Thurmond obtained a seven-figure settlement against a leading paint manufacturer in a suit in which his client alleged breach of contract and breach of warranty.
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- Member, American Bar Association
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- Member, State Bar of California
- Dartmouth College - A.B., 1982
- Copeland v. Baskin-Robbins U.S.A., 96 Cal. App. 4th 1251, 2002
Last Updated: 5/15/2022