Larry E. Verbit
Top rated entertainment & sports attorney in Los Angeles, CaliforniaLaw Offices of Larry E. Verbit
Practice Areas: Entertainment & sports, Business & corporate, Intellectual property
Licensed in California since: 1987
Education: Southwestern Law School
Law Offices of Larry E. Verbit6922 Hollywood Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90028 Phone: 323-469-6400 Email: Larry E. Verbit Visit website
Larry Verbit is a "go to" attorney for reality television and production legal matters. Recently he's worked as counsel on multiple projects for Disney+, DisneyNow and Disney Channel, along with a Netflix series among many others and also has provided legal services for broadcast elements of the Rose Parade and for the live show at the Mayfair Supper Club in Las Vegas' Bellagio Hotel. In the past he's also worked on an international production of a Bravo reality show, numerous TV movies, 5 financed by Proctor & Gamble and WalMart, and numerous other reality programs, including one of Bravo's "Real Housewives" franchises.
He also has served as an Adjunct Professor of Law teaching TV Production Law at the #7 rated U.S. entertainment law program in the United States.
For 6 years, he was the #2 lawyer for publicly held Westwood One, Inc., after which he joined Landmark Entertainment Group as its General Counsel. He then joined the Bev. Hills law firm, Heenan Blaikie, and remained with its successor firms for 6 years.
Larry opened his own firm in 2003 where his clients include some of the largest reality production companies producing today. He also has assisted in closing a $9 million hedge fund financing for a half hour strip program and represented a Telecom that went public.
Larry’s articles have appeared in law reviews and industry publications. He received the prestigious Ladas Award given by the United States Trademark Assoc. for his article on Moral Rights. He is the current current chairman of the Entertainment Law Section of the Beverly Hills Bar Association and previously has served as a former chairman of the Entertainment Law and Intellectual Property Section of the L. A. County Bar Assoc. and Trustee of the L.A. Copyright Society and has service on the advisory committee of The Donald E. Biederman Entertainment and Media Law Institute since its inception.
First Admitted: 1987, California
Professional Webpage: http://dhvlaw.com/bio/
- Executive Committee, Beverly Hills Bar Association Entertainment Law Section (Member, 2010-present & Secretary 2018-19)
- Chairperson, Executive Committee, Beverly Hills Bar Association Entertainment Law Section
- Executive Committee Board Member, Intellectual Property and Entertainment Law Section, Los Angeles County Bar Association (1989 - 1995)
- Member, Advisory Board, Donald E. Biederman Entertainment and Media Law Institute (2000 - present)
- Member, Board of Editors, Broadcast Law Report (1999-2001)
- Chairman, Executive Committee Board Member, Intellectual Property and Entertainment Law Section, Los Angeles County Bar Association (1994-1995)
- Trustee, Los Angeles Copyrght Society (2009-2011)
- Member, Board of Directors, New Musicals, Inc. (formerly, Academy for New Musical Theatre) 2012-present
- Member, Board of Trustees & Counsel, Actors Alley Theatre 1994-2001
- BFA, Theatre, Directing Emphasis, Virginia Commonwealth University
- MFA, Arts and Theatre Administration, The Florida State University
- Stephen P. Ladas Memorial Award, United States Trademark Association, 1988
- National Entertainment Law Writing Competition - 1st Prize, Intellectual Property and Entertainment Law Section of the Los Angeles County Bar Association, 1986
- Panelist, Nuts and Bolts of the Entertainment Business: Gaining a Competitive Edge By Understanding the Legal and Business Complexities of the Ever Changing Marketplace, Beverly Hills Bar Association, Barrister’s Committee, 2008
- Program Chair and Moderator, Cable Television - Trends, Parameters and Deal Points Experienced by Production Companies in Current Cable Transactions, Los Angeles County Bar Association, Intellectual Property and Entertainment Law Section, 2007
- Moderator and Co-Chair for a CLE panel entitled "Are you Covered? Or Naked and Afraid? focusing on the insurance requirements for entertainment companies and media productions., Beverly Hills Bar Association, Entertainment Law Section, 2018
- Session Coordinator and Moderator, Celebreality: The Inside of Reality Talent Agreements, WestDoc 2012 Conference, 2012
- Program Co-Chair, The Pros and Cons of Talent Agency Packaging, Beverly Hills Bar Association, Entertainment Law Section, 2016
- 9 Comm/Ent L.J. 383, Hastings Journal of Communications and Entertainment Law, April 1987, Author, Moral Rights and Section 43(a) of the Lanham Act: Oasis or Illusion?, Hastings School of Law, 1987
- 78 TMR 579, The Trademark Reporter, Sept-Oct 1988, Author, Moral Rights and Section 43(a) of the Lanham Act: Oasis or Illusion?, The United States Trademark Association, 1988
- Broadcast Law Report, June, 2000, page 1, Author, Crafting Agreements for Hiring Actors to Appear in Series Pilots, 2000
- Entertainment Law and Finance, August, 2000, page 1, Author, Crafting Agreements for Hiring Actors to Appear in Series Pilots, 2000
- Program Chair and Moderator, Pitfalls of Employment in the Entertainment Business, Beverly Hills Bar Association, Entertainment Law Section, 2014
- Program Chair, Clearing the Present Danger: Rights and Clearances for Films and TV, Beverly Hills Bar Association, Entertainment Law Section, 2013
- Live Events
- Super Lawyers: 2016 - 2023