Top rated employment litigation attorney in Los Angeles, CaliforniaAllred, Maroko & Goldberg
Michael Maroko is a senior partner with Allred, Maroko & Goldberg.
Mr. Maroko, along with partners Gloria Allred and Nathan Goldberg, founded the firm in February 1976. Mr. Maroko received his Bachelor of Arts degree in 1971 from UCLA from which he graduated Phi Beta Kappa and summa cum laude. In 1974 Mr. Maroko graduated with honors from Loyola Law School. He was admitted to the California Bar in December 1974.
Mr. Maroko has participated in numerous employment discrimination and wrongful termination cases as well as in civil rights litigation and appeal. He has worked on many noteworthy cases including Fernandez v. Wynn Oil, in which the Ninth Circuit ruled that customer preference in an international business setting is not a justification for sex discrimination; Birtell v. Lockheed, in which the Court of Appeals ruled that no Federal preemption prevents a worker from filing suit for a wrongful termination arising out of a claim by a union member against an employer, and reaffirming a legitimate state interest in enforcing the "whistle blower" statute.
Michael Maroko was lead counsel in the California Supreme Court on behalf of Robin Tyler, et al in the In Re Marriage Cases which held that California law limiting marriage to heterosexual couples was unconstitutional and ordered the State of California to license same sex marriages.
Michael Maroko was also lead counsel in the California Supreme Court case of Tyler et al v State of California, challenging the constitutionality of Proposition 8 which amended the California Constitution to ban same sex marriage.
Mr. Maroko was also lead counsel in Rolon v. Kulwitsky, which set important guidelines for the prosecution of Unruh Civil Rights Act cases involving discriminatory business practice; and Bass v. Great Western Savings, one of the first cases to interpret the Unruh Civil Rights Act.
In addition, Mr. Maroko was lead counsel in the California Supreme Court case of In re Marriage of Burgess, which set forth new guidelines for custody/move-away orders, and White v. Marciano, which dealt with child support payments of high-income earners.
Mr. Maroko has also been lead attorney in numerous successful civil and personal injury cases.
Every year since 2004 Mr. Maroko has been named a Southern California "SuperLawyer" by Law & Politics and Los Angeles Magazine.
Mr. Maroko is also a member of the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers.
Mr. Maroko has been an arbitrator on the Employment Panel of the American Arbitration Association since 2001 and has served as a mediator since 2006.
Practice areasEmployment litigation: plaintiff, Alternative dispute resolution
- 90% Employment litigation: plaintiff
- 10% Alternative dispute resolution
First Admitted: 1974, California
Professional Webpage: http://www.amglaw.com/Attorneys/Michael-Maroko.shtml
- With Honors, Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, California, 1974
- AV Rated (Highest Rating) by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America, 1996 - 2014
- College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, 2003 - 2013
- Graduated with honors from Loyola Law School
- In re Marriage Cases, 43 Cal. 4th 757 (California Supreme Court 2008)
- Birtell v. Lockheed, 201 Cal. App.3d 293 (1988)
- White v. Marciano, 190 C.A. 3d 1026 (1987)
- Strauss v. Horton, 46 Cal. 4th 364 (California Supreme Court 2009)
- Fernandez v. Wynn Oil, 653 F.2d 1273 (1981)
- Bass v. Great Western Savings, 58 Cal. App.3d 770 (1976)
- In Re Marriage of Burgess, 13 C4th 25 (California Supreme Court 1996)
- Rolon v. Kulwitsky, 153 Cal. App.3d 289 (1984)
- Tyler et al v. State of California
- College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, Fellow
- American Bar Association
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
- State Bar of California
- California, 1974
- University of California, Los Angeles, Bachelor of Arts (Summa Cum Laude), Honors: Phi Beta Kappa, 1971
Office location for Michael Maroko
6300 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90048