Top rated family law attorney in Los Angeles, CaliforniaLaw & Mediation Offices of Michelle Katz
Michelle Katz is the principal attorney and founder of the Law & Mediation Offices of Michelle Katz in Los Angeles, California. Ms. Katz has over 40 years of legal experience, first as a litigator and now exclusively outside the court system. She dedicates her practice to family law matters involving all aspects of divorce, cohabitation agreements, prenuptial agreements, post-nuptial agreements and more.
In her practice, Ms. Katz has helped hundreds of California residents resolve their complex family law issues through consensual dispute resolution processes, including mediation, collaborative law, out-of-court negotiation, and other approaches. She is certified as a Family Law Specialist by The State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization, and she has trained in mediation at the Harvard Negotiation Project at Harvard Law School, at the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution at Pepperdine University School of Law and with Gary Friedman and Norman Fischer at the Center for Understanding in Conflict in Mill Valley, California.
In addition to her law practice, Ms. Katz regularly speaks to professional organizations about mediation and collaborative law. In addition to her selection as a a Super Lawyers, since 2010 she has been included every year in “The Best Lawyers in America” by U.S. News and World Report. In 2015 and again in 2022, she was named "Best Lawyer of the Year in Family Law Mediation for Southern California" by U.S. News and World Report. She holds an AV Preeminent* peer review rating from Martindale-Hubbell and is a fellow of the American Bar Foundation.
Highly involved in her legal community, Ms. Katz is a member of the American Bar Association’s Section of Dispute Resolution, having served as Council member and Membership Chair of the section. She is a former president and board member of the California Dispute Resolution Council and a co-founder of the Los Angeles Collaborative Family Law Association. She has also been very active in The State Bar of California.
Ms. Katz earned a bachelor’s degree in philosophy and a master’s degree in education from Cornell University. She received her law degree from the San Fernando Valley College of Law.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasFamily law, Alternative dispute resolution
Alimony & spousal support, Child support, Custody & visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Paternity, Prenuptial agreements, Marital property, Mediation & collaborative law, Same sex family law, Mediation
- 60% Family law
- 40% Alternative dispute resolution
First Admitted: 1978, California
Professional Webpage: https://michelle-katz.com/attorney-profile/
- Certified Family Law Specialist, Board of Legal Specialization, California State Bar
- California State Bar Family Law Section, Executive Committee, Member
- Beverly Hills Bar Association Board of Governors
- California State Bar, Committee on Alternative Dispute Resolution, Past Chair
- California Dispute Resolution Council (CDRC), Past-President and board member
- Los Angeles Collaborative Family Law Association, co-founding member
- California Bar Family Law Section Executive Committee
- ABA Section of Dispute Resolution, Membership Chair and Council member
- Cornell University, M.Ed
- Cornell University, B.A. in philosophy
- Lawyer of the Year in Southern California in Family Law Mediation, 2015, Best Lawyer of the Year in Family Law Mediation, U.S. News & World Report, 2015
- Lawyer of the Year for Southern California in Family Law Mediation, Best Lawyer of the Year in Family Law Mediation, U.S. News and World Report, 2022
- Southern California Super Lawyer in Family Law, 2009-2018
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- AV rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America in Family Law Mediation, US News and World Report, 2009-2020., U.S. News & World Report
- Commissioner, County of Los Angeles Department of Consumer and Business Affairs Advisory Commission, 2021
- American Bar Association
- California Dispute Resolution Council
- Los Angeles Collaborative Family Law Association
Office location for Michelle Katz
11400 West Olympic Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90064
- Super Lawyers: 2006, 2009 - 2023