Top rated international attorney in Los Angeles, CaliforniaBlank Rome LLP
Mike Margolis is Chair of the Asia Practice, and is Shanghai Office Chair for, Blank Rome LLP, a Global 100 law firm. Mike spends about half his time in Asia and half in the United States. He is conversational in Mandarin Chinese.
Since graduating from Cornell Law School, where he was Note Editor of the Law Review, Mike has been a trusted advisor and advocate for enterprises and entrepreneurs. For over 30 years, he has used law and strategy to help achieve clients' objectives while minimizing potential liabilities.
Chambers Global, one of the most selective lawyers' ranking services in the world, reported that Mike "draws acclaim for his broad litigation expertise and heads the Blank Rome LLP group dedicated to representing Chinese companies and individuals working in the USA." Los Angeles Magazine named Mike as one of its "Top 100 Super Lawyers in Southern California". AVVO.com rated Mike as "10.0 Superb".
Mike's expert opinions on the special challenges facing Chinese companies doing business in the U.S. have been featured in the Wall Street Journal, the London Financial Times' FDI Magazine, the Los Angeles Times, China Daily, the South China Morning Post, and the United States' National Public Radio.
Mike often speaks at meetings and forums on industry topics, and for several years served as a judge for the Chinese National Rounds of the Jessup International Moot Court Competition. He has been appointed as a "Distinguished Professor" at the East China University of Politics and Law's Lawyers' Institute.
Mike is a member of the Advisory Board of the World Trade Center LA and the Executive Committeee of the Leadership Board of the Asia Society of Southern California.
A more complete bio is available at http://www.blankrome.com/index.cfm?contentID=10&bioID=2922.
Practice areasInternational, Business litigation, Intellectual property
- 40% International
- 40% Business litigation
- 20% Intellectual property
First Admitted: 1979, California
Professional Webpage: https://www.blankrome.com/people/mike-margolis
- A top global attorney for Chinese businesses in the U.S., Chambers Global
- 10.0 Superb rating by AVVO.com
- Member of the Executive Committee, Asia Society Southern California
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Member of the Board of Directors, Hong Kong Association of Southern California
- Widely quoted in the Wall Street Journal's Risk and Compliance article, "Chinese Investment to U.S. Faces Hurdles in Both Countries" (March 31, 2015)
- 8-minute interview broadcast on National Public Radio (KCRW) re: Chinese Investment into the U.S. (August 24, 2015)
- Front-page op-ed in Globe Street, "Chinese-Funded Projects: Coming to Your City" (June 16, 2015)
- A Jury verdict against commercial real estate brokers for fraud and punitive damages
- A summary Judgment in favor of a large air transportation company, defeating disability discrimination claims
- Obtained judgment in a U.S. court for over USD $50 million in favor of U.S. subsidiary of large Chinese manufacturer, 2017
- Obtained dismissal of lawsuit in the U.S. against large Chinese bank, on the ground that the case should not be litigated in the U.S., 2017
- A Jury verdict defeating multiple employment law claims, finding the worker was an independent contractor
- Obtained dismissal of lawsuit against large Chinese manufacturer, on the ground that the U.S. court lacked jurisdiction., 2017
- A summary Judgment in favor of an SME apparel company, defeating business interference and conspiracy claims
- A Jury verdict in favor of a large law firm, defeating massive malpractice claims and recovering 100% of the unpaid fees
- Note Editor, Cornell Law Review, Cornell Law School
Office location for Mike Margolis
2029 Century Park East
Los Angeles, CA 90067
- Super Lawyers: 2006 - 2010, 2012 - 2023