Top Rated Insurance Coverage Attorney in Los Angeles, CA
Raymond J. Tittmann recently opened his own law firm with partner Louisa G. Weix -- Tittmann Weix LLP. He has been recognized by a premiere legal news source Law360 as a 2019 MVP in the field of insurance, in addition to this recognition by Thompson Reuters as a leading Southern California lawyer, given to the top 5% of lawyers under their criteria.
Mr. Tittmann and his team operate by the motto “Effective. Creative. Responsive.” Therefore they strive to find creative solutions to problems in a manner that minimizes disputes and legal spend.
Mr. Tittmann is a graduate of Notre Dame School of Law (1997) and Thomas Aquinas College (1994).
About Raymond Tittmann
First Admitted: 1997, California
Professional Webpage: https://www.tittmannweix.com/raymond/
- University of Notre Dame School of Law, 1997
- Thomas Aquinas College, 1994
- Raymond J. Tittmann helped a subsidiary of The Home Depot negotiate a global settlement of thousands of claims brought by homeowners and their insurers over damage caused by allegedly defective toilet products, landing him on the list of Law360's 2019 Insurance MVPs.Why he became an insurance attorney: Tittmann said his work interpreting insurance policies brings back fond memories of his time reading the philosophical texts of Aristotle while working toward his undergraduate degree at Thomas Aquinas College. "I always tell people, if you can read Aristotle you can read an insurance policy," he said. "Every time I'm asked to parse a sentence in a policy or debate the meaning of the word ‘occurrence,' I feel like I'm back in college."His advice for younger attorneys: Junior attorneys should always "look for the win-win," according to Tittmann. "Solving your client's problem almost always requires a creative solution to narrow disputes rather than expand them," he said. For instance, he said, if he and his colleagues cannot settle a client's case on reasonable terms, they "work hard to crystallize single issues" to address on cross-motions rather than jumping into "all-out litigation." , Law360 MVP in the Field of Insurance, https://www.law360.com/articles/1214846/mvp-wargo-french-s-raymond-j-tittmann , 2019
- Ray presented a CLE webinar on Business Interruption Insurance and Covid-19. Months into the Covid-19 pandemic, nearly 1000 lawsuits have been filed, including by Thomas Keller and In-N-Out. Such claims tread into an undeveloped area of law. , Presenter, Business Interruption Insurance And Covid-19, Bridgeport Continuing Education Update (July 2020), https://bridgeportce.com/bridge2017/live-webinars/business-interruption-insurance-and-covid-19-teleconference-update, Insurance, 2020
- Law360 elicited Ray's expert opinion on the first-of-its-kind ruling lthat a restaurant owner cannot tap its business interruption policy because its eateries did not sustain "direct physical loss or damage." Ruling from the bench via Zoom on July 1, 30th Circuit Judge Joyce Draganchuk dismissed Gavrilides Management Co. LLC's suit seeking $650,000 from Michigan Insurance Co. for losses it suffered after Gov. Gretchen Whitmer issued executive orders in March that limited its two restaurants to take-out and delivery orders. According to Tittmann Weix LLP partner Raymond Tittmann, Judge Draganchuk's holdings will be a blow to some policyholders' efforts to dodge the virus exclusion by making arguments similar to Gavrilides'. "Her analysis on the interplay between the virus exclusion and the government acts exclusion defeats the creative efforts we have seen to plead around the virus exclusion," Tittmann said. , Quoted, Mich. Eateries’ Loss Highlights COVID-19 Coverage Hurdles, Law360 (July 2020), https://www.law360.com/articles/1289670/mich-eateries-loss-highlights-covid-19-coverage-hurdles, Insurance, 2020
- Frequently quoted by Law360 for expert commentary on cutting edge insurance decisions. Presenter, Extra-Contractual – Session 4 – Year in Review: Part One, CLM(Dec. 3, 2020)Quoted, Northrop’s Win Curbs Excess Insurers’ Settlement Challenges, Law360 (September 2020)Presenter, Business Interruption Insurance And Covid-19, Bridgeport Continuing Education Update (July 2020)Quoted, Mich. Eateries’ Loss Highlights COVID-19 Coverage Hurdles, Law360 (July 2020)Presenter, Business Interruption Insurance And Covid-19, Bridgeport Continuing Education (April 2020)Quoted, Ransomware Victims Get New Path To Coverage In Md. Ruling, Law360 (January 2020), 2021
Last Updated: 6/23/2022