Scott L. Baker
Top Rated Business Litigation Attorney in Los Angeles, CA
Scott L. Baker is the principal attorney at the law firm of Baker & Associates in Los Angeles, California. Mr. Baker practices business litigation, construction law, insurance law and transportation law, serving clients throughout the Los Angeles region. He handles both litigation and transactional matters, including creating and negotiating contracts, as well as intellectual property and trade secret matters.
Mr. Baker has more than three decades of legal experience. A seasoned professional, he possesses extensive knowledge and attention to detail and is committed to fighting for his clients. He has significant litigation, arbitration, mediation and administrative hearing experience at the trial and appellate levels.
In addition to running his law firm, Mr. Baker participates in many pro bono and volunteering activities. He is a founding panel mediator for the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia Mediation Program and serves as a pro bono arbitrator and mediator for the Superior Court of California, County of Los Angeles. He also volunteers his time to Bet Tzedek legal services, as well as dog rescue causes.
Before opening Baker & Associates, Mr. Baker clerked for a federal judge and practiced at California-based business and entertainment firms. He is former chief west coast counsel for Agency Rent-A-Car, Inc.
Mr. Baker graduated with honors from the Ohio State University with a bachelor’s degree in business administration. He earned his law degree from Case Western Reserve University School of Law and received his license to practice law in 1985. He holds an active law license in Ohio, California and the District of Columbia.
About Scott L. Baker
First Admitted: 1985, Ohio
Professional Webpage: https://www.bakerslaw.com/About/Scott-L-Baker.shtml
- Arcbest, Inc.; California Check Cashing Stores, LLC; Cielo Construction, Inc.; L2 Development Corporation; Leed Warner, LLC; Leed Metro, LLC; Leed Plaza Atrium, LLC; SIC/Leed Santa Ana, LLC; SIC/Leed Civic Plaza, LLC; CW Enclave, LLC; California Landmark Group; North Hills Retirement Hotel, Inc.; Panther Premium Logistics, Inc. Aviation Technology (Able Aerospace, Aviation Assurance Group, Pacific Aviation Corporation, Southern California Aviation, In-Flight Warning Systems). Service Industries (Beverly Hills Country Club, Calabasas Country Club, The Paint Shop Nail Salon of Beverly Hills, Festival Artists Worldwide Float Builders, Always Better Care Home Health Network); Maintenance (Mida Industries, Integrity Property Maintenance); Manufacturers and Distributors (Ironman Water Systems, Mighty Enterprises, Inc., Chips Unlimited); Restaurateurs (Café Roma, The Stinking Rose); Telecommunications (Global Touch Telecom); Textiles (Isabella Fiore, Matrix International Textiles); Transportation (Roadway Express, Inc.); Vocational Schools (Career Colleges of America, Meridian Institute, RTP Vocational Schools); Construction, Design & Real Estate (California Landmark Group, Fain-Walker Partnership, Phill Vonk Fine Cabinetry, Bartlein Property Management, Jack Little Company (Surveyors), Norman Colburt, Interior Consultants, Ltd., London Chimney, Walker Construction, American Technologies, Studio 3 Designs Architecture); Artists and Galleries (Mark Edward Harris; Terry Dooley, What Designs; Amaral Metal Fabrications); Insurance (CNA Insurance, Los Angeles, St. Paul Fire & Marine Insurance Company, AIG Insurance, Clarendon Insurance Co., Credit General Insurance Co., Inc., Philadelphia Insurance Co., Travelers Insurance Group, 21st Century Claims Service, Agency Rent-A-Car, Checker Cab, special counsel for the California Insurance Guarantee Association).
- State Bar of Ohio, 1985; District of Columbia Bar, 1988
- The Ohio State University, B.S., Honors: With Honors, Major: Business Administration, 1981
- California, 1987
- District of Columbia, 1988
- Ohio, 1985
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, 1987
- Ohio Bar Association, 1985
- California Bar Association, 1986
- Beverly Hills Bar Association, 1986
Pro bono/Community Service
- Bet Tzedek Legal Services, 1988
- Represented a developer in their claim against an escrow company we alleged to have failed to pay proceeds of more than $250,000 due the developer but instead improperly paid it to a lienholder. Within a few weeks, and without having to file a lawsuit, we were able to recoup $200,000 of the outstanding money and obtain releases from both the lienholder and escrow company., 2018
- Represented a contractor in a Contractor's State License Board claim. Following a hearing, all claims were dismissed and CSLB required homeowner to pay our client's final bill of more than $128,000., 2015
- Represented the managing member of an LLC who was sued by the majority member for failing to pay a distribution seeking damages in front of an arbitrator for $650,000 plus attorney's fees. Following discovery but before the 3-day arbitration began, we negotiated a settlement that: (1) dismissed the proceeding by which the complainant took nothing by way of his complaint; and (2) required the complainant to reimburse our client's attorney's fees, granted our client greater control over the operation of the LLC, allowed our client to be distributed a larger share than the original distribution, and established the rule of the LLC in our client's favor for subsequent capital events, 2018
- Represented a contractor against a claim for job abandonment seeking $150,000. Settled the case in three days for $5,000 with a non-disparagement provision., 2018
- Represented developer sued by a homeowner for $1,000,000 for cutting down 7 mature trees on the homeowner's property. Successfully defended the lawsuit on the argument that the HOA for the development had the authority to, and did, give our client permission to cut down whatever trees necessary to complete the project., 2017
- Represented homeowners in a claim by the County for unlawful grading in which the County sought to retroactively assess the client several hundred thousands of dollars of fees, penalties and interest. Following numerous administrative hearings and extensive negotiations, the County agreed to allow the status quo with only a minimal amount of retrofitting of the hillside with no additional penalties or interest., 2016
- Represented heavy machinery company in a dispute with a neighbor with whom our client shared an electrical panel and who was also our client's lessor of a separate warehouse, who cut-off our client's water and electricity. Following our successful TRO, the landlord entered into an agreement restoring power to our client's operation and dismissing its unlawful detainer matter. We further negotiated with the City, County and utility company to install a separate electrical panel to our client's premises on an expedited basis., 2019
- Represented commercial building owner in a toxic tort lawsuit brought by a group of tenants against 8 defendants. After denying our tender for a defense and indemnity of this multi-million dollar demand, we filed a bad faith lawsuit against CNA. Several months into the litigation, CNA agreed to accept the defense and indemnity and I was also retained as Cumis counsel to protect the insured's interests. I was able to secure our client's dismissal without any financial contribution to a $6,000,000 global settlement. In addition, we filed a bad-faith lawsuit against a second carrier, Fireman's Fund, for wrongfully withholding coverage to reimburse the LLC's deductible paid to CNA, 2015
- Private arbitration before Hon. Joe Hoberman. Representing the plaintiff and cross-defendant in a high-tech business dispute, following a two week arbitration we won an award for the entire amount requested of $650,000, and defeated the cross-complaint in its entirety., 2010
- Represented a condo owner in a claim against an insurance carrier. The condo was red-tagged following due to a structural failure to a nearby neighbor. Recovered loss of use damages, relocation fees and compensatory damages for owner against Fireman's Fund, which initially denied the claim, 2014
- American Bar Association/Forum On The Construction Industry
- Beverly Hills Bar Association
- Building Industry Association Of Southern California
- California Bar Association
- Consumer Attorneys Association Of Los Angeles
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Ohio Bar Association
Last Updated: 9/12/2022