Stanley L. Friedman
Top rated criminal defense attorney in Los Angeles, CaliforniaStanley L. Friedman, Attorney at Law
Practice Areas: Criminal defense, Health care, Appellate
Licensed in California since: 1985
Stanley L. Friedman, Attorney at Law, has represented corporations and individuals in white collar criminal defense and complex civil litigation matters for more than 35 years. As a board-certified specialist in criminal law, a former Law Clerk to a United States District Court Judge, and a former federal prosecutor with the United States Department of Justice, Mr. Friedman brings extensive skill and courtroom experience to every case.
Attorney Friedman's private practice is focused on protecting the rights and interests of individuals facing either civil or criminal allegations of fraud such as public corruption, insurance fraud, securities fraud, Ponzi schemes, embezzlement, tax crimes, money laundering, credit card fraud, computer fraud and counterfeiting of U.S. currency.
There have been many notable successes throughout Stanley L. Friedman's career. As an Assistant United States Attorney for the Central District of California in Los Angeles, California, assigned to the Major Fraud Unit, he conducted grand jury investigations and effectively prosecuted complex multimillion-dollar cases. As a criminal defense and complex civil litigation attorney, he has obtained six injunctions against the state of California and the United States in cases involving more than three billion dollars in health care costs. One of these cases was argued before the United States Supreme Court and resulted in a favorable decision for Mr. Friedman's clients. He has also successfully represented a wide range of professionals including attorneys, accountants, medical doctors, pharmacists, dentists, business executives, elected officials, government employees and corporations.
From 2006 to 2010, and again in 2018 to 2019, Mr. Friedman served on the State Bar of California Criminal Law Advisory Commission, which is the Commission responsible for all aspects of certifying and re-certifying attorneys as criminal law specialists, and served as its Chairman for the 2009 - 2010 term and previously served as its Vice Chairman and education representative (in which he reviewed all materials submitted by providers throughout the State who sought to have their programs certified for continuing legal education credits for certified specialists in criminal law). Also, in the 2009 - 2010 term, Mr. Friedman was a member of the Rules Subcommittee of the State Bar of California’s Board of Legal Specialization.
Mr. Friedman has also had many notable appellate successes, appearing in published cases as counsel of record in one United States Supreme Court case, ten Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals cases, two United States District Court cases, and two California Court of Appeal cases.
Mr. Friedman has frequently appeared on national and local television and radio and has been quoted extensively in various newspapers.
Practice areasCriminal defense, Health care, Appellate
- 50% Criminal defense
- 30% Health care
- 20% Appellate
First Admitted: 1985, California
Professional Webpage: http://www.stanleyfriedmanlaw.com/stanley-l-friedman/
- Pi Gamma Mu Honor Society, Psi Chi Honor Society, Pi Gamma Mu Honor Society, Psi Chi Honor Society
- Cahuenga District Award of Merit, Boy Scouts of America, 2017
- Psi Chi, Psi Chi Honor Society
- Pi Gamma Mu, Pi Gamma Mu
- Finalist, Moot Court Honors Program, University of Southern California School of Law, 1984
- USC Representative, Cardozo National Moot Court Competition, University of Southern California School of Law, 1985
- Participant, Cardozo National Moot Court Competition
- First Place, Client Counseling Competition, University of Southern California School of Law, 1983
- Shofar Award, Jewish Committee on Scouting
- Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of America
- Officer and Director, Or HaChaim Hebrew Academy
- Scoutmaster, Boy Scouts of America
- E.F. Hutton and Company, Inc.
- Independent Living Center of Southern California v. Baass (favorable attorney's fee award), 2021
- Presbyterian Synod of California and Hawaii
- California Pharmacists Association, ARCO
- Metropolitan Insurance Company
- Koch Industries
- United States Government
- The Flying Tiger Line, Inc.
- Chubb Insurance Group
- American Express
- Fireman's Fund Insurance Companies
- Goldrich & Kest Industries, LLC
- General American Life Insurance Co.
- Daimler-Benz Aktiengesellschaft
- Reported Decisions: United States Supreme Court: Douglas v. Independent Living Center of Southern California, 565 U.S. 606 (2012) United States Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals: Moore v. Kayport Package Express, Inc., 885 F.2d 531 (9th Cir. 1989) Commodities Futures Trading Commission v. Topworth International, 205 F.3d 1107 (9th Cir. 1999) United States v. Hagege, 437 F.3d 943 (9th Cir.), cert. denied, 549 U.S. 818 (2006) Independent Living Center of Southern California v. Shewry, 543 F.3d 1047 (9th Cir. 2008) Independent Living Center of Southern California v. Shewry, 543 F.3d 1050 (9th Cir.), cert. denied, 565 U.S. 606 (2009) Independent Living Center of Southern California v. Shewry, 590 F.3d 725 (9th Cir. 2009), vacated on other grounds sub. nom. Douglas v. Independent Living Center of Southern California., Inc., 132 S. Ct. 1204 (2012) Independent Living Center of Southern California v. Maxwell-Jolly, 572 F.3d 644 (9th Cir. 2009) Managed Pharmacy Care v. Sebelius, 705 F.3d 934 (9th Cir. 2012) Managed Pharmacy Care v. Sebelius, 716 F.3d 1235 (9th Cir. 2013), Independent Living Center of Southern California v. Kent, 909 F.3d 272 (9th Cir. 2018), United States District Courts: Managed Pharmacy Care v. Maxwell-Jolly, 603 F. Supp. 2d 1230 (C.D. Cal. 2009) In Re: Medi-Cal Reimbursement Rate Reduction Litigation, 652 F. Supp. 2d 1378 (J.P.M.L. 2009) California Court of Appeals: Best Products, Inc. v. Superior Court, 119 Cal. App. 4th 1181, 15 Cal. Rptr. 3d 154 (2004) People ex rel. Harris v. Rizzo, 214 Cal.App.4th 921, 154 Cal.Rptr.3d 443 (2013)
- Pan American World Airlines, Inc.
- Prudential-Bache Securities, Inc.
- St. Ives Laboratories, Inc.
- British Petroleum
- Pacific Mutual Life Insurance Company
- Mercedes Benz of North America
- Governments of France and Hong Kong (as a magistrate).
- American Airlines, Inc.
- Makar Properties, Inc.
- Law School: University of Southern California Law Center, Juris Doctor, 1985. College: University of California, Los Angeles, B.A., Cum Laude & Dean's List, 1981
- Member of the State Bar of California, 1985
- Member of the Bar of the United States District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Master Member, Los Angeles Criminal Justice American Inn of Court
- Member of the Bar of the United States District Court Southern District of California
- Member of the Bar of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Commissioner, Criminal Law Advisory Commission, State Bar of California, 2019
- Member of the Bar of the United States District Court Northern District of California
- Member, State Bar of California’s Board of Legal Specialization, serving on the Rules Subcommittee, 2010
- Member of the Bar of the United States District Court Central District of California
- Commissioner, Criminal Law Advisory Commission, State Bar of California
- Member of the State Bar of Nevada, 2001
- Criminal Law News, State Bar of California., 1995
- Performance of Downs Syndrome Individuals on the Stanford-Binet Intelligence Scale, American Journal of Mental Deficiency., 1982
- Identity Conservation and Equivalence Conservation: A Question of Developmental Priority, Child Development., 1982
- Criminal Law, State Bar of California, Board of Legal Specialization, 2005
- Perez vs. City of Cudahy, a Municipal Corporation (favorable settlement), 2018
- United States v. Akin - obtained verdicts of guilty in nationwide insurance fraud case. Led task force of more than fifty personnel from Internal Revenue Service, Postal Inspection Service, Interstate Commerce Commission and Department of Transportation.
- United States v. Lawson - obtained guilty verdicts against tax preparer for tax crimes.
- United States v. Danny Means - obtained not guilty verdict for client charged with bribing an IRS Revenue Officer.
- United States v. Pratte - obtained guilty verdicts against owner of retirement facility for loan fraud.
- Kleinman v. American States Insurance Company - obtained $7.96 million verdict against major insurance company.
- United States v. Tyler - obtained guilty verdicts against officer of company engaging in securities fraud and ponzi scheme.
- The National Trial Lawyers, Top 100 Criminal Defense Trial Lawyers (2013 - 2022), 2022
- National Association of Distinguished Counsel (2015 - 2022)., 2022
- Los Angeles Business Journal Healthcare Trusted Advisor of the Year (i.e., top healthcare lawyer for the year as recognized by the Los Angeles Business Journal)., 2019
- U.S. News & World Report Award: Best Law Firms in California for White-Collar Criminal Defense (2017 - 2022)., 2022
- Los Angeles Business Journal's Healthcare Leadership Award (finalist) for "Lifetime Achievement", 2012
- “AV Preeminent” rating by Martindale-Hubbell (2006 - 2022)., 2022
Office location for Stanley L. Friedman
445 South Figueroa Street
Los Angeles, CA 90071-1631
- Super Lawyers: 2012 - 2023