Top rated Civil Rights attorney in Los Angeles, CaliforniaWisner Baum LLP
Stephanie B. Sherman is a multiple award-winning trial lawyer and shareholder partner at Wisner Baum (formerly Baum Hedlund Aristei & Goldman). With over 20 years of experience, she has helped thousands of clients in serious personal injury, wrongful death, product liability, chemical exposure, and dangerous pharmaceutical cases.
Stephanie believes that obstacles reveal opportunities. Her background in psychology and the law gives her the unique ability to understand the complexities of trauma and the human experience while thoughtfully guiding her clients through the legal system. She prides herself on being a champion for the nation's most vulnerable and is especially drawn to cases involving social and environmental justice matters.
Before joining Wisner Baum in 2022, Stephanie worked at other elite law firms and won landmark cases worth hundreds of millions against some of the largest companies in the world. Her track record of success includes numerous high-value toxic tort cases involving exposure to PCBs, benzene, and other harmful chemicals.:
Monsanto Company PCB Litigation. Served on the trial team for hundreds of non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL) clients in the Monsanto polychlorinated biphenyls (PCB) litigation, which resulted in a verdict of $46.5 million and a later settlement of all claims in the hundreds of millions.
Rowan v. Georgia Pacific et al, Cuyahoga County, Cleveland Ohio. Served as lead counsel for the first wood dust product liability exposure case filed in the country, which resulted in a confidential multimillion-dollar settlement.
Tomas Gonzales v. ASARCO, Nueces County, Corpus Christi, Texas. Filed on behalf of a general labor contractor who was diagnosed with mesothelioma in his 60s and died quickly thereafter. This case resolved in a confidential settlement.
Egelhoff v. Fujifilm et al., Broward County, Miami, Florida. Filed on behalf of a printing press worker in a benzene exposure case and resulting in a confidential settlement.
In addition to her work in toxic tort litigation, Stephanie also has extensive experience handling major pharmaceutical cases against drug manufacturers for causing harm to patients, including successful resolutions against Johnson & Johnson, Gilead, and other pharma companies.
Stephanie is licensed to practice law in Texas and California. She graduated magna cum laude from Texas Christian University with a Bachelor of Science in psychology and philosophy and was inducted into the Phi Beta Kappa Society. She later earned her law degree from Texas Tech School of Law and started practicing law in 1998.
Stephanie was selected as one of Texas Monthly Magazine's Texas Rising Stars and has been named to the National Trial Lawyers Top 100 list for the last four years. A compassionate leader, strategist, organizer, optimist, and innovator, Stephanie thrives on problem-solving and an "all in" team mentality for success. She represents the alignment of empathy, wisdom, sophisticated legal knowledge, and advocacy.
Practice areasCivil Rights, Consumer Law, General Litigation, Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff, Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
Fraud, Litigation, Medical Devices, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Pharmaceutical, Wrongful Death
- 30% Civil Rights
- 20% Consumer Law
- 20% General Litigation
- 20% Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff
- 10% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 1998, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://www.wisnerbaum.com/attorneys/stephanie-b-sherman/
- Educating elementary school students about civil rights and the foundations of equality and due process.
- First housing discrimination case on behalf of a mixed race child in Kansas litigated under the federal Fair Housing Act that resulted in a swift and confidential settlement.
- Volunteer at community schools teaching children about civil rights.
- Represented an injured government worker before the 9-11 Victims Compensation Board in New York.
- Represented a LBGQT couple in a Texas housing discrimination case regarding right to display pride flag, 2021
- Selected: Southern California Super Lawyers® – Rising Stars, 2005 - 2006
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 100, 2017 - 2022
- Texas Rising Stars, Texas Monthly Magazine, 2005 - 2008
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, 2000
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles
- Public Justice
- Dallas Trial Lawyers Association
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas, 2001
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas, 2000
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas, 2000
- Texas State Bar, 1998
- California State Bar, 2021
- Texas Christian University, B.A. summa cum laude, Psychology and Philosophy, 1994
- Hood v. E.I. DuPont de Nemours & Co., et al., Dallas County, Texas: Represented an equipment painter and mechanic who developed myelodysplastic syndrome and acute myelogenous leukemia at age 57 as a result of his occupational exposure to benzene-containing paints and solvents., 2017
- Egelhoff v. Fujifilm et al., Broward County, Miami, Florida
- Tomas Gonzales v. ASARCO, Nueces County, Corpus Christi, Texas
- Rowan v. Georgia Pacific et al, Cuyahoga County, Cleveland Ohio
- Lammers v. Energy Transportation Group, Inc. et al., Los Angeles County, California: Represented a merchant marine who worked in the engine room of various crude oil tankers during the 1980s and 90s. Mr. Lammers developed Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma as a result of his occupational exposure to benzene, solvents, and crude oil vapors, 2017
- PCB cases against Monsanto Chemical Company, Clayton County Missouri: Represented hundreds of Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma patients nationwide in a matter relating to Monsanto contamination of the food, soil, and water supply with Polychlorinated biphenyls )PCBs), 2019
- Frost. v. Red River Hosp., Wichita Falls County, Texas: Representing the family of a transgender diagnosed with severe depression who killed himself while under the care of a psychiatrist and in a locked mental health facility., 2021
- Helmet Safety, Personal Injury. Recreational Vehicles, 2021
- Personal Injury
Office location for Stephanie Sherman
11111 Santa Monica Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90025
- Super Lawyers: 2024
- Rising Stars: 2005 - 2006