Matthew J. Matern
Top rated Employment Litigation attorney in Manhattan Beach, CaliforniaMatern Law Group, PC
Practice Areas: Employment Litigation, Class Action & Mass Torts; view more
Licensed in California since: 1992
Education: Southwestern Law School
Matern Law Group, PC1230 Rosecrans Avenue
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266 Visit website
Matthew J. Matern is the founding attorney of Matern Law Group, PC, in Manhattan Beach, California. Mr. Matern dedicates his practice to employment law. He serves clients throughout California and has substantial experience litigating a variety of class action claims involving failure to provide meal and rest breaks, failure to pay proper overtime, misclassification, noncompliant wage statements and other claims involving violations of California wage and hour laws.
Licensed to practice law in California since 1992, Mr. Matern is admitted before the U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Central, Southern and Eastern districts of California, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit, and the Supreme Court of the United States. Over the course of his career, he has recovered millions of dollars in settlements and judgments for his clients through both litigation and arbitration.
Along with his knowledge and experience in class action litigation, Mr. Matern has a firm understanding of all areas of civil litigation, including discovery, motions and negotiating. Both he and his team of attorneys have been involved in many noteworthy individual and class action lawsuits. He and his team have also participated in volunteering projects such as the “day of service” at the Los Angeles Mission.
Mr. Matern earned a bachelor’s degree from Tulane University and obtained his law degree from Southwestern Law School. Outside of the office, he is an active member of his legal community. He belongs to various groups committed to protecting consumer and employee rights, including the Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles and the California Employment Lawyers Association.
Practice areasEmployment Litigation: Plaintiff, Class Action/Mass Torts: Plaintiff
Class Actions, Employment Discrimination, Employment Law - Employer, Wrongful Termination
- 50% Employment Litigation: Plaintiff
- 50% Class Action/Mass Torts: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 1992, California
Professional Webpage: https://www.maternlawgroup.com/our-firm/our-people/matthew-j...
- Led a trial team that won a sexual harassment trial with a $500,000 award for emotional distress and a $2 million award for punitive damages for two garment workers, plus a $950,000 award of attorneys’ fees.
- Awarded attorneys’ fees in an employment discrimination and sexual harassment arbitration in Los Angeles for a total of $1.4 million (with a 2.0 multiplier).
- Settled two particularly difficult and complex related cases in Los Angeles Superior Court for the same Plaintiff for a total of $13.6 million – one case for $11 million, and the second for $2.6 million.
- Set important legal precedents, including a groundbreaking California judgment on “me too” witnesses in sexual harassment and discrimination cases.
- Led trial teams that have won multimillion-dollar settlements
- Named as class counsel in over 15 State and Federal class action claims
- Panelist, Pantoja v. Anton and it’s affect on Privacy, California Employment Lawyers Association October 2012 convention, 2012
- Panelist, The Lifecycle of a PAGA Claim, Los Angeles County Bar Association Labor & Employment Section Saturday Seminar, December 2016, 2016
- Southern California Super Lawyer, 2009 – Present
- Rated by Avvo as “Superb", Avvo
- United States District Court, Central District of California
- United States District Court, Northern District of California
- California, 1992
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles (CAALA), Member
- United States District Court, Eastern District of California
- United States Supreme Court
- California Employment Lawyers Association (CELA), Member
- United States District Court, Southern District of California
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- Southwestern Law School, 1992
- Tulane University, B.A. With Honors, 1986
- Mr. Matern is proudly committed to serving his community, whether it is through outstanding legal services or non-profit work. In pursuit of his passion for social justice, he founded The Satyagraha Foundation in 2017 to support philanthropic collaboration in charitable, educational, environmental, religious, literary, and scientific endeavors., 2017
- , Matthew J. Matern Bio , Employment, 2019
- In 2020, Mr Matern served as co-counsel on a $26m case against McDonald's, representing approximately 38,000 employees of its corporate-owned restaurants throughout California. , 2020
- In 2020, Mr. Matern successfully settled an $18m case against ConAgra, representing ConAgra employees from seven California facilities., 2020
- In 2017, Mr Matern represented the plaintiff in Julian v. Glenair, Inc, a precedent-setting case upholding an employee’s rights to be paid properly., 2017
- In 2011, Mr Matern secured a groundbreaking California judgment on “me too” witnesses in sexual harassment and discrimination cases in Pantoja vs Anton., 2011
- In 2011, Mr Matern successfully litigated in Fuentes v. AutoZone, Inc, an important case that helped more clearly define what constitutes sexual harassment., 2011
- In 20113, Mr Matern secured a judgment of over $1,000,000 in Ventura vs ABM., 2013
- In 2009, Mr Matern acted as counsel in Rich v. Koi to secure a judgement of over $500,000 in compensatory and punitive damages., 2009
- In 2009, Mr Matern represented a client in Barba v. Blue Boys, Inc. to secure a $500,000 award for emotional distress and a $2 million award for punitive damages., 2009
- In 2009, Mr. Matern represented an employee in the matter of Franco v. Athens Disposal Company, Inc, a leading case on class-action waivers, 2009
Office location for Matthew J. Matern
1230 Rosecrans Avenue
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266
- Super Lawyers: 2009 - 2023