David M. Van Atta
Top Rated Real Estate Attorney in Menlo Park, CA
A member of Hanna & Van Atta, David M. Van Atta is widely regarded as one of California’s premier real estate attorneys. He practices out of the firm’s offices in Palo Alto, and he represents clients throughout the state. Prior to co-founding his firm in 1993, Mr. Van Atta was a real estate partner at a global law firm based in San Francisco, and he represented international companies in their purchase and development of properties in the United States.
Mr. Van Atta’s practice encompasses acquisitions and financing of residential and commercial properties. He has worked on transactions involving office buildings, hotel and other resort properties, residential and commercial condominium projects, and mixed-use developments. Mr. Van Atta has also formed and advised community associations and common interest developments. He counts among his clients major technology companies in Silicon Valley and other parts of the state along with developers, equity investors, lenders, landlords and builders.
In addition, Mr. Van Atta has extensive experience in zoning, subdivision and other land use matters, and in this regard, he has appeared before local agencies as well as the California Department of Real Estate, which is part of the state’s Business, Consumer Services and Housing Agency. His superior track record in all of his professional endeavors has earned him deserved recognition from his fellow professionals, including an AV Preeminent* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell.
Mr. Van Atta attended the University of California, Berkeley, where he majored in political science and received a Bachelor of Arts. He then pursued his legal education at the University of California, Hastings College of the Law, and in 1969, he obtained his Juris Doctor. Mr. Van Atta has been admitted to practice before all California state courts since 1970.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 70%Real Estate: Business
- 30%Land Use/Zoning
- Super Lawyers: 2005 - 2022
Certificates and Credentials
About David M. Van Atta
First Admitted: 1970, California
Professional Webpage: https://www.hanvan.com/attorneys/david-van-atta/
- University of California at Berkeley, A.B., 1966
- The State Bar of California, Chairman, Condominium Cooperative Housing and Subdivision Committee, 1981-1983 and Vice-Chair, Executive Committee, 1982-1986, Real Property Law Section.
- American Bar Association (Member, Section of Real Property, Probate and Trust Law)
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- Anglo American Real Property Institute
- Urban Land Institute (member, District Council Executive Committee; Chair, Program Committee)
- College of Community Association Lawyers
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- California, 1970
Pro bono/Community Service
- Home Builders Association of Northern California (Past Chair, Bureau of Real Estate Committee; Board of Directors, Southern Division)
- Community Associations Institute
- Lambda Alpha International Land Economics Society
- Law Lecturer, University of California Extension, 1976 - 2015
- Adjunct Professor, Real Property Secured Transactions, Golden Gate University School of Law, 1982 - 1983
- Condominium Law
- Homeowners Associations
- Real Estate
- Real Estate Development
- Real Estate Financing
Last Updated: 5/15/2022