Karen L. Landau
Top Rated Appellate Attorney in Moraga, CA
- Free Consultation
Ms. Landau has handled more than 200 appeals in the state and federal appellate courts. She has particular expertise in criminal appeals, having argued more than 100 cases before the United States Courts of Appeals, the California Courts of Appeal and the California Supreme Court. Many of these appeals were from lengthy and complicated trials, including the first RICO prosecution of the Mexican Mafia. She has handled appeals from criminal convictions ranging from tax evasion and complex fraud to RICO murder and drug trafficking. Ms. Landau also handles civil appeals in California and federal courts. In 2013, she successfully defended in the California Court of Appeal a $1.25 million jury verdict coupled with a $900,000 attorney fee award arising out of a California whistleblower action.
Ms. Landau is admitted to practice in all California courts, the United States Supreme Court, and most federal circuit courts. She is a member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. Ms. Landau also is a member of the Criminal Justice Act appellate panels for the Northern, Central and Eastern Districts of California. She is a regular speaker at appellate and criminal defense training seminars.
About Karen L. Landau
First Admitted: 1987, California
Professional Webpage: http://www.karenlandau.com/about
- Ms. Landau is admitted to practice in all California courts, the United States Supreme Court, and the United States Courts of Appeals for Second, Fifth, Seventh, Ninth and Eleventh Circuits. She is a member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. Ms. Landau also is a member of the Criminal Justice Act appellate panels for the Northern, Central, Eastern and Southern Districts of California, and the district of Arizona. She is a regular speaker at appellate training seminars. Ms. Landau also serves as a volunteer arbitrator on the Alameda County Bar Association Fee Arbitration Panel.
Pro bono/Community Service
- Consultant to the National Clearinghouse for the Defense of Battered Women. Author of amicus briefs for NCDBW.
- B.A., University of California, Berkeley, California, 1981
- An article discussing how best to make use of the Supreme Court's decision in United States v. Booker, 543 U.S. 220 (2005), in federal sentencing practice., "Booker & Its Aftermath," , Criminal Justice, ABA, 2005
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Appellate Lawyer Representative, United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 2011
Last Updated: 5/15/2022