Michael A. Morris
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Newport Beach, CA
Attorney Michael A. Morris is a partner with Minyard Morris LLP law firm in Newport Beach, California. Nationally recognized as among the top lawyers in the country, Mr. Morris has more than 38 years of total legal experience, and he focuses his practice solely on family law.
Board certified as a specialist in family law by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization, Mr. Morris provides invaluable counsel and support to clients throughout Orange County who are going through a divorce or have some other serious legal issue affecting their families. He has extensive experience handling high-asset divorces, and he is well adept at dealing with complicated property valuations for those with considerable net worth, including complex business valuations.
Over the course of his legal career, Mr. Morris has earned many accolades and endorsements from his peers for his outstanding professionalism and service. Among his most notable honors, he holds an AV-Preeminent peer review rating* from Martindale-Hubbell, and he has received consistent recognition from The Best Lawyers in America©, including the organizations Lawyer of the Year Award in 2013 and 2018. In addition, he has received Superb, 10 out of 10 client ratings on Avvo, and Lawdragon voted him among the nation's 500 Leading Family Lawyers.
A leader in his field, Mr. Morris once served as president of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers' Southern California Section, and he was co-chair of the organization's Family Law Spring Retreat in 2016. He is also a fellow with the organization, and he is a founding fellow of the Orange County Bar Foundation's Society of Fellows. He is also an active member of the Orange County Bar Association and The State Bar of California, among his other professional affiliations.
Moreover, Mr. Morris serves on the board of Human Operations, a nonprofit devoted to breaking the cycle of domestic violence. He also conducts lectures and facilitates classes and training seminars for other attorneys across his region, and he co-authored a publication involving the ethical issues of representing minor children in family law proceedings.
A 1976 graduate of the University of California, Los Angeles, Mr. Morris obtained his Juris Doctor in 1979 from Western State University College of Law. He has been licensed to practice in the state of California since 1982.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers in America© are registered trademarks of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC. The names, logo, and database are protected under the trademark, copyright, and fair use laws of the United States of America. Any use of name, including in electronic form, must be made only by permission and under the guidelines of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC.
About Michael A. Morris
First Admitted: 1982, California
Professional Webpage: https://www.minyardmorris.com/lawyers/michael-morris
- Ethical Issues Involving Minor’s Counsel in Family Law, published in the O.C. Lawyer, Co-authored
- Family Law for Social Workers, Counsellors and Other Helping Professionals
- Family Law Issues for Public Law Center, Orange County
- Recent Developments in California Family Law, California Education of the Bar
- Child Custody and Visitation in California Family Law
- “Me and My Shadow (Partner and Associates)”, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Continuing Education courses on Fundamentals of Family Law
- "Permanent Spousal Support...the Price of Love" Sponsored by the ACFLS, Panelist, The Co-Panelists were Commissioner David Weinberg (Ret.), Andrew Hunt, CPA & Saul Gelbart, Esq
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers Fourteenth Annual Institute of Family Law Trial Advocacy, Co-dean
- As Family Court Judges See It: Top Mistakes Attorneys Make In Litigation Divorce" Seminar, Orange and Los Angeles County judges, Panel
- ACFLS Trial Tech: Trial Technique Training Workshop at Whittier Law School, 2018
- AAML Trial Advocacy Institute, "In the Boardroom," on Executive Compensation, Co-Dean, 2019
Pro bono/Community Service
- Monthly Human Options Family Law Clinic
- Society of Fellows of the Orange County Bar Foundation, Founding Fellow
- Human Options whose mission it is to break the cycle of domestic violence, Board of Directors
- Southern California Section of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Past President, 2012 - 2013
- AAML Board of Directors, 2007 - 2012
- Orange County Bar Association, Member
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Fellow
- State Bar of California
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers Family Law Spring Retreat, Co-Chair
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers (USA), 2020
- Super Lawyer, Orange County Family Law, 2004
- Best Lawyers in America, "Orange County Family Lawyer of the Year" 2013 & 2018
- Best Lawyers, Orange County Family Law, 2007
- AVVO Rated 10 out of 10 (Superb), Orange County Family Law
- AV Peer Review Rated, Martindale.com
- OneOC Spirit of Volunteerism Award, 2018
- Certified Specialist in Family Law by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization
- University of California, B.A.
Last Updated: 5/15/2022