Randy Sue Pollock
Top Rated Criminal Defense Attorney in Oakland, CA
- Free Consultation
Randy Sue Pollock has been a criminal defense lawyer for over 30 years practicing in federal courts throughout the San Francisco Bay Area as well as nationally in other federal districts. She aggressively protects the interests of her high-profile clients in complex white collar and general criminal cases. Ms. Pollock defends clients against a variety of federal and state crimes, including RICO conspiracies, espionage, securities fraud, mortgage fraud, tax violations, money laundering, drug trafficking and marijuana cultivation and transportation. In April 2020 she secured an acquittal in the Eastern District of Kentucky in the only on-going federal trial in the U.S. during the pandemic.
Ms. Pollock is a graduate of the University of California Hastings College of the Law. She has been a member of the State Bar of California since 1975. Ms. Pollock consistently demonstrates the highest level of professional excellence and is AV-Preeminent rated* by Martindale-Hubbell since 2001.
In United States v. Cerna, Ms. Pollock won an acquittal for her client on all counts of racketeering after a five-month battle against federal prosecutors in the Northern District of California. Following this hard-fought victory, she was the only criminal defense lawyer recognized by the “The Recorder” as one of the Attorneys of the Year in 2011.
With a productive, less-is-more approach to trial advocacy, Ms. Pollock has tried more than 100 jury cases. She concentrates the jury’s attention on the most important issues by preparing short and direct opening and closing statements and asking the fewest number of questions. The federal judge commended her trial style in the Cerna case.
Ms. Pollock is also a persuasive plea negotiator. In 2010, Ms. Pollock garnered a victory when the court dismissed several counts of wire fraud and tax evasion against her client. She negotiated a plea agreement that prevented her client from having to face 40 years in prison if convicted of the dismissed counts.
Most recently, she won a motion to suppress all guns and marijuana seized in a Ukiah case. With extensive briefing and a lengthy evidentiary hearing, the officer was found to have committed perjury and all charges were dismissed.
Also, recently, despite the word of a cooperating co-defendant in a federal drug conspiracy case, Ms. Pollock convinced the government that her client was not involved. No charges were filed even though the government expected him to plead guilty.
In June 2018, after a month long trial, Ms. Pollock convinced a federal jury in San Jose that her client was a nominee for millions of dollars of money from her families business. The government had attributed all the money to her. She was acquitted of Filing False Tax Returns.
Also, after several years of investigation and an on-going grand jury investigation, the government declined to bring federal tax charges against a client in 2017.
Ms. Pollock ended her three year term as a Lawyer Representative to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and presently is vice president of the Oakland branch of the Federal Bar Association, San Francisco Chapter.
*AV-Preeminent and BV-Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 50%Criminal Defense
- 50%Criminal Defense: White Collar
Criminal Fraud, Drug & Alcohol Violations, Expungement, Sex Offenses, Tax Evasion, Criminal Domestic Violence, White Collar Crime, Criminal Law - Federal
- Super Lawyers: 2012 - 2022
Articles about Randy Sue Pollock appearing in Super Lawyers
About Randy Sue Pollock
First Admitted: 1975, California
Professional Webpage: http://www.rspollocklaw.com/high-profile-criminal-defense-at...
- University of Caliifornia, Berkeley, A.B., June 1971
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, JD., 1974
- Lectured to lawyers regarding requirements of fee agreements., Lecturer, Fee Agreements, Norml Conference--Key West, 2008
- Lectured to NORML conference at Key West regarding how to prepare for sentencing., Preparing for Sentencing, NORML
- Not Guilty, RICO trial of MS 13 , 2011
- Not Guilty, Drug and Money Laundering charges, EDKY, Lexington, Kentucky., 2020
- United States vs. Meili Lin (NDCA, 2018) Filing False Tax Return, Not Guilty; United States vs. Cerna (NDCA) RICO prosecution, Not Guilty all counts (2011); United States vs. Bauer (NDCA) Wire/Mail Fraud in Commodity Case--Not Guilty all counts (1992); People vs. Vincent Reed (murder) not guilty all counts, 1989. , 2018
- 2011 Attorney of the Year based on not guilty verdict on all counts in five month federal Racketeering case, The Recorder Legal Journal; AV Preeminent Women Lawyer 2012, 2013; AV rated 2001 to present., San Francisco Recorder, 2011
- , Honoree of Learned Hand Award, American Jewish Committee, 2021
- Lawyer Representative for the Northern District of California, 2017-2020, 2017
- Martindale-Hubbell’s Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers, 2012, 2013
- Martindale-Hubbell’s Women Leaders in the Law, 2013
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Named one of the Attorneys of the Year by the Recorder Legal Journal, 2011
Pro bono/Community Service
- Board of Directors, San Francisco Chapter of American Jewish Committee, 2020
- Vice President Oakland, Federal Bar Association, San Francisco Chapter, 2021
- Member, San Francisco Women Lawyer's Alliance, 1989-2005
- Lawyer Representative to United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 2018
- Women Attorneys Advocacy Project, Executive Committee and Organizer of Programs, 2015 to present, 2014
- Member, ACLU Lawyer's Council, 1989-1999
- Member, California Women Lawyer's, 1993-2007
- Lifetime Member, Women Defenders, 1991 - Present
- United States District Court, Northern District, Committee on Rules and Practice, 2015-2017, 2015
- Criminal Defense Attorneys, National Association, 1988-present
- Women Defenders, Northern California Criminal Trial Attorneys, California State Bar, 1975-present
- Member, NORML, 2000 - Present
- Executive Committee, Bar Association of San Francisco, Committee on Criminal Justice., 2014
- Board of Governors, California Attorneys for Criminal Justice, 1980-1990
Last Updated: 5/15/2022