Attorney Shane R. Ford is a shareholder with Ford Family Law in Oakland, California. Serving clients throughout Alameda and Contra Costa counties and the surrounding areas of Northern California, Mr. Ford is certified as a family law specialist by The State Bar of California, and he devotes his practice to helping families through the difficult and emotional divorce process as smoothly and painlessly as possible.
To this end, he provides effective mediation services to help his clients resolve their conflicts and reach agreements without the need for expensive and time-consuming court battles. However, he is also a tenacious and skilled trial attorney who will fight for his clients' rights and best interests in court when necessary.
In all cases, Mr. Ford endeavors to deliver compassionate, personalized counsel to his clients with their matters involving any of the following:
- Child custody and support
- Spousal and domestic partner support
- Complex property division, including pensions and retirement accounts, stock options and other complex financial matters
- Business valuations
- Stepparent adoptions
- Premarital agreements
A 1990 cum laude graduate of Illinois State University, Mr. Ford attended Golden Gate University School of Law, where he obtained his Juris Doctor in 1994. The State Bar of California admitted him to practice that same year, and he regularly serves the Alameda County family courts as a settlement commissioner.
Highly active in his legal community, Mr. Ford has served on the board of directors of a number of professional legal organizations, including the Association of Certified Family Law Specialists, the Alameda County Family Law Association and the Eastern Alameda County Family Law Association.
A fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, he holds an AV Preeminent peer review rating* from Martindale-Hubbell, and he has earned recognition as one of the Top 100 attorneys in Northern California every year since 2009.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasFamily law
Alimony & spousal support, Child support, Custody & visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Paternity, Prenuptial agreements, Marital property, Mediation & collaborative law, Same sex family law
- 100% Family law
First Admitted: 1994, California
Professional Webpage: http://www.fordfamilylaw.com/team/shane-r-ford/
- Illinois State University, cum laude, 1990
- Certified Family Law Specialists, State Bar of California
- Recognized as a Northern California “Super Lawyer” by San Francisco magazine and Northern California Super Lawyers magazine, 2006
- Holds Martindale Hubbell’s highest AV ranking for legal ability and ethics, representing a “very high to preeminent” reputation in the field of family law
- One of Northern California’s “Top 100 attorneys”, 2009, 2010 and 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, and 2017
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML), Fellow
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, California
- Eastern Alameda County Family Law Association (EACBA)
- Alameda County Family Law Association
- State Bar of California, 1994
- Earl Warren American Inn of Court, Associate Member
Office location for Shane R. Ford
180 Grand Ave
Oakland, CA 94612
- Super Lawyers: 2006 - 2023
Top ListsTop 100: Northern California Super Lawyers: 2009 - 2011, 2013 - 2014, 2016 - 2023
- Top 100: 2023 Northern California Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2022 Northern California Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2021 Northern California Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2020 Northern California Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2019 Northern California Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2018 Northern California Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2017 Northern California Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2016 Northern California Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2014 Northern California Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2013 Northern California Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2011 Northern California Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2010 Northern California Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2009 Northern California Super Lawyers